Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Unless you're 14 we've qualified for the cl in your life! Stop with the hyperbole, we're all frustrated and annoyed but there's no need for absolute falsehoods.
No mate. The qualifying stages is to qualify for it... as the name suggests. We didn't quality. So do you want to apologise now or later?

The only player I would have slight reservations about punting is Bernard but even he has been erratic. The rest are dross who weren’t getting a look in at all.

I think Bernard is a decent player.....

If we are playing the likes of Salford in the league cup. He’s just not a PL player. Not even a great option to have on the bench anymore sadly.

That being said though at this rate hes better than having bloody no one on the bench lol

Iwobi would have been on a "list" we went down in a panic when Zaha didn't come off. Probably somewhere near the bottom of the list too.

You normally get some idea when a transfer happens between two Prem clubs a few weeks before it does - not always, but Iwobi was completely left field and all indications where Arsenal received first approach within the last 24 hours of the window if I remember right.

Yes all very fair. I mean I was always very surprised we seemed to want Doucoure/Zaha and ended up gettign Iwobi with some justification being he was a cross between the two. I'm not sure if that was the case.

What it shows us though, or to me at least, stats and lists don't necessarily make you immune from mad or poor purchases. A lot of people think they can eliminate poor signings, but stats are only as good as the people intepreting them and the data coming in.

As you get a lot, people look at Liverpool, who do things on stats and assume thats the only way to go. Yet before Klopp arrived, their recruitment was seen as a joke and they hated their transfer committee. Im not saying there is no value to stats, but there's a lot more to it than that. If you watch Iwobi, even as an Iwobi supporter you would see a lot of his performance don't match the stats and he is a very different player to Zaha.

They've just been taken over. But yeah, we don't know for sure.

I imaging that it was more than £1m though.
I don’t know what we are asking, bu I would have thought at least £7m. He will be sold in the summer, and his experience in Germany and now at Celtic will protect his value.

Yes probably. And I mean you have cut off the league games before we had a winning run. It's a snapshot isn't it?
It is.

I know we are splitting heirs, but I guess we just see it a tad differently.

We seem to be famine or feast at the moment. December was good, January not so.

Being honest, if we can play like we did in December then we have a chance. I think the Leicester game dented my confidence in these players though and Newcastle smashed it to smithereens!

Every time we have had a chance to get back into the top 4 since we fell out we have blown it. So I’m really not too optimistic that this group of players have what it takes, add a very weak back up to options if we get injuries and my pessimism deepens.

Liverpool signing Davies is different though. That's not panic really, it's actually a pretty sensible deal (in theory). They need a centre half in the short term but not the long term. They sign a lad who is nearly out of contract for a low fee, he offers cover or plays for the next couple of months, and is maybe kept on as cover next year. Then he's sold on at a massive profit as instead of being a Championship defender he's now got CL experience and Liverpool on his CV and someone is willing to pay £10m for him. Hopefully it doesn't work out and he scores 3 own goals in the derby, but i'd say as a move it's almost the exact opposite of a panic buy.

I am going 2 ways on hom mate. His transfermakt value is 2m which is generally a good indicator. His wider performances and numbers suggest an average (at best) championship defender. In theory they can move him on, but given his age (nearly 26) and in 18 months he will be (no sh1t sherlock) 27 I'm not sure people will be cuing up to buy him. The key will probably be what wages they offer him. If they are low enough, they can probably sell back to the championship for a moderate profit.

I'll be honest, Mustafi made a lot more sense for them to me. He's been terrible for Arsenal, but at one point someone paid 35m for him, and he has in the past delivered in La Liga and the CL. For 6 months, he'd have given them cover and they could have moved on.

The wider point with Davies though, is people panic and go a long way down their list- and that recruitment by numbers is also not an exact science.

If it's not a panic buy, I would ask, why is it being done on the last day of the window, when they made clear they didn't want to sign anybody?

It is.

I know we are splitting heirs, but I guess we just see it a tad differently.

We seem to be famine or feast at the moment. December was good, January not so.

Being honest, if we can play like we did in December then we have a chance. I think the Leicester game dented my confidence in these players though and Newcastle smashed it to smithereens!

Every time we have had a chance to get back into the top 4 since we fell out we have blown it. So I’m really not too optimistic that this group of players have what it takes, add a very weak back up to options if we get injuries and my pessimism deepens.

It's fair enough mate, people have different views and thats what makes discussion worthwhile!

Our issue, is that particularly without fans, at Goodison we just can't put teams away. I don't think we will resolve that this season. We are well set up to play the better teams and will take points from them I think.

I'd say we need to get our best back 4 playing most weeks, and work to the premise of trying to get a 0-0 and see what falls for us. My wider point is though, outside of City, none of the teams have been massively consistent. Maybe Liverpool kick into gear now, and maybe United stabilise. We look erratic too, but so do lots of teams.

If we can repeat our 1st half of the season performance, we will finish (most likely) 4/5th. We don't need to do any better just maintain performance. I think there is a chance we can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.