Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly people, this is just lazy and rubbish! I'm not sure Eriksen would be a success at Everton, nobody does, but he's topped just about every stat at Spurs during his time there, especially distance covered in matches. He WILL cover every blade of grass, so - by all means be sceptical - but don't be sceptical about his ability or desire to work hard
Sigurdsson covers every blade of grass: He even touches the ball now and again!!!

I have to say, after 30 years of supporting a side who actively courted, seduced, and signed technicians like Scott Gemmill, Denis Stracqualursi, Stuart Barlow, Claus Thomsen, Li Tie, and Per Kroldrup, it's rewarding to sit here and watch our fanbase turn their haughty noses up at players of the ilk of Christian Eriksen, all the while pondering whether James Rodriguez shoud be sacrificed to defensive "solidity."

Did the last three decades just pass us all by?

Anyway, on a serious note, I have never been a fan on Eriksen. There's always been a hint of self-regard about him that I never quite thought his performances in big games merited. However, there is just no denying his talent. And if Magnifico thinks he'd like the option of selecting Denmark's Christian Eriksen instead of Skateboarding's Tom Davies, well, who am I to disagree?
I remember thinking even back when he was playing for Spurs that Eriksen reminded me a bit of Sigurdsson (He has great stats and would be a upgrade quality-wise but he has a lot of the same issues in terms of influencing the game consistently when you watch him).

He'd produce a couple of brilliant moments, often enough to win a match for a team with Kane and Ali around and then disappear. I think he'd just fall into the same traps as Gylfi even if he found anything like his previous level.....and there's no guarantee of that.

I just don't think he's what we need, I'd prefer that we buy someone who's technically a bit less gifted but more what's needed for the side (IMO either a proper defensive mid or central mid (allowing allan and doucoure a bit of rotation rather than completely losing the ability to retain the ball when either is out of the side)).

We need bullies and bellends at the mo even just short term. Imagine bringing him on rather than Tosun, you'd have more faith

Joe royle would be an upgrade on tosun. A bellend is fine on the pitch to the opposition. Not a bellend sulking around the club when he doesnt get his own way.
Tbh i have no idea what condition he's in now. But he's the wrong side of 30 and hardly a guarentee at the expensive wages. I dont think we'd get much from him. Could be wrong.

I have to say, after 30 years of supporting a side who actively courted, seduced, and signed technicians like Scott Gemmill, Denis Stracqualursi, Stuart Barlow, Claus Thomsen, Li Tie, and Per Kroldrup, it's rewarding to sit here and watch our fanbase turn their haughty noses up at players of the ilk of Christian Eriksen, all the while pondering whether James Rodriguez shoud be sacrificed to defensive "solidity."

Anyway, on a serious note, I have never been a fan on Eriksen. There's always been a hint of self-regard about him that I never quite thought his performances in big games merited. However, there is just no denying his talent. And if Magnifico thinks he'd like the option of selecting Denmark's Christian Eriksen instead of Skateboarding's Tom Davies, well, who am I to disagree?
Why would you buy a proven top class PL player when you can spend more on a unproven player from abroad, who know doubt has good fifa stats and is a current flavour of the month.
Anyone who puts Gylfi and Eriksen in the same class of player needs to have a word with themselves.

Not sure why scott gemmill gets thrown into groups like this all the time. He was lightweight and could get muscled off the ball i accept that. But he never played for brian clough teams for years for no reason. He could pass a ball and he always gave 100%. i'd exchange him for mike milligan.

1609870842799.png

Would like us to be looking at Roma/Lyon's players tbh.

I have never been a fan on Eriksen. There's always been a hint of self-regard about him that I never quite thought his performances in big games merited. However, there is just no denying his talent.
My sentiments exactly. It’s a tough call because the mentality we need right now is hungry, committed and confident. I haven’t seen that in Eriksen for a while (admitted haven’t seen him in Serie A but it doesn’t seem glowing).
That being said I can’t stop thinking of him carrying my Fantasy Team a few years ago. I wouldn’t be mad if he joined on a contract that doesn’t give everyone nosebleeds

It is easy to highlight these examples, but we have had quality players during this period as well? People forget fast.

Eriksen is a good player, but he's not exactly Maradonna, is he? There are pros and cons, and they are usually discussed in a football forum.

What will we get by signing Eriksen, and what will we not get? What does the team need? Can we play with both JR and Eriksen, and how? (We are not exactly Real Madrid yet = We do not have 70/30 in ball possession).

Personally, I am unsure, as his form has been declining for several years. I'm also not sure if Eriksen has the qualities that Everton need most right now. On the other hand, he is a good footballer at his best, and I think he and Ancelotti will be a good match.

It is easy to highlight these examples, but we have had quality players during this period as well? People forget fast.

Eriksen is a good player, but he's not exactly Maradonna, is he? There are pros and cons, and they are usually discussed in a football forum.
The point I was making, badly, was that whatever one thinks of Eriksen, it's just wonderful that a player of that ability can be plausibly linked to us after years of managers being forced to scrimp and scrape together a few bob in the local Lidl.

Truth be told, in my 40 years supporting Everton, the vast majority of the quality players we had during that time played for us in the 1980s. The few who emerged after 1990 were, generally, signed at bargain prices early in their careers (Cahill, Arteta, Baines, Coleman), taken on loan first (Lukaku, Dunc), brought through ourselves (Rooney), or joined at the fag-end of their careers (Beardsley). The number of times we just swooped for a player close to his market peak can be counted on one hand (Kanchelskis being the prime example, though Yakubu was another as, of course, was Gary Speed).

I'm just pleased our horizons are wider now.

The point I was making, badly, was that whatever one thinks of Eriksen, it's just wonderful that a player of that ability can be plausibly linked to us after years of managers being forced to scrimp and scrape together a few bob in the local Lidl.

Truth be told, in my 40 years supporting Everton, the vast majority of the quality players we had during that time played for us in the 1980s. The few who emerged after 1990 were, generally, signed at bargain prices early in their careers (Cahill, Arteta, Baines, Coleman), taken on loan first (Lukaku, Dunc), brought through ourselves (Rooney), or joined at the fag-end of their careers (Beardsley). The number of times we just swooped for a player close to his market peak can be counted on one hand (Kanchelskis being the prime example, though Yakubu was another as, of course, was Gary Speed).

I'm just pleased our horizons are wider now.
Point taken ;)

I remember thinking even back when he was playing for Spurs that Eriksen reminded me a bit of Sigurdsson (He has great stats and would be a upgrade quality-wise but he has a lot of the same issues in terms of influencing the game consistently when you watch him).

He'd produce a couple of brilliant moments, often enough to win a match for a team with Kane and Ali around and then disappear. I think he'd just fall into the same traps as Gylfi even if he found anything like his previous level.....and there's no guarantee of that.

I just don't think he's what we need, I'd prefer that we buy someone who's technically a bit less gifted but more what's needed for the side (IMO either a proper defensive mid or central mid (allowing allan and doucoure a bit of rotation rather than completely losing the ability to retain the ball when either is out of the side)).

Whenever i read spurs fans on erikson it was exactly that. Flashes then you wouldnt even know he was on the pitch.
The way he downed tools aswell at the end at spurs. Didnt want to get injured to scupper any move.
How many years have we been throwing out the cant be arsed tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.