Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our first XI is competitive with anyone. I really believe that. Now we've got no depth at all so him keeping it on course the last few weeks is genuinely impressive but he needs to try and progress it a bit or we aren't going to keep it up. James being back should help.
I agree that our first XI is competitive - but the problem we face is that the Premier League is a competition that is won by the best squads. Sadly, for us, it's not a team game - it's a squad game.

Carlo's immediate impact, naturally enough, is more quickly felt in the team than in the squad. His four new signings improved us significantly. However, 4/11 is one thing - 4/28 is a drop in the ocean. We were beaten last night by an inferior manager because he had an array of talent to pick from while our four best players were out of action by the 60th minute (three of whom never even got to tog off). There is no point having Ancelotti if we are going to hamstring him like this. Happily, I don't believe we will. We will surely go back into the market in January.

Carlo won't be "keeping it up" if he has to rely on the current squad. They're just not good enough. We certainly won't be finishing in the top six. However, a few savvy signings in January might give him enough to make a good fist of it. I just think the fans have to realise that there is an upper limit to what Carlo - or any manager - can do with the current, largely failed, squad. To be 0-0 last night after 88 minutes without James, Allan, Digne, and Richarlison for the last half hour, was an achievement in itself. Then a world-class player beat us. How many world class players turned out for us last night?

Alli isn't really a central midfielder. I mean if he isn't playing as a #10 I'm not really sure he has any value. Even when he plays that role most of his effectiveness is around the box. He isn't really a player who get the ball up the field or relieves pressure I don't think. His best seasons he was basically a second striker making runs off Kane to score. I think people might be making him into something he isn't in their heads.
Thing is, he may help our lack of creativity. At present our tactic is lainch it in the general direction of DCL who usually has to get on the wnd of his own flick ons. If Alli was playing as a 2nd striker ww can solidify the middle by pusjing Godfrey in there.

I agree that our first XI is competitive - but the problem we face is that the Premier League is a competition that is won by the best squads. Sadly, for us, it's not a team game - it's a squad game.

Carlo's immediate impact, naturally enough, is more quickly felt in the team than in the squad. His four new signings improved us significantly. However, 4/11 is one thing - 4/28 is a drop in the ocean. We were beaten last night by an inferior manager because he had an array of talent to pick from while our four best players were out of action by the 60th minute (three of whom never even got to tog off). There is no point having Ancelotti if we are going to hamstring him like this. Happily, I don't believe we will. We will surely go back into the market in January.

Carlo won't be "keeping it up" if he has to rely on the current squad. They're just not good enough. We certainly won't be finishing in the top six. However, a few savvy signings in January might give him enough to make a good fist of it. I just think the fans have to realise that there is an upper limit to what Carlo - or any manager - can do with the current, largely failed, squad. To be 0-0 last night after 88 minutes without James, Allan, Digne, and Richarlison for the last half hour, was an achievement in itself. Then a world-class player beat us. How many world class players turned out for us last night?

OGS responding to a double switch of Bernard/Davies by bringing on Rashford and Martial really drove that point home for me yesterday

Thing is, he may help our lack of creativity. At present our tactic is lainch it in the general direction of DCL who usually has to get on the wnd of his own flick ons. If Alli was playing as a 2nd striker ww can solidify the middle by pusjing Godfrey in there.
We have James coming back.

Sat last night looking at our starting XI and even without James or Digne we still need first choice players in:

Right Back - Holgate has done well but Coleman has to be upgraded, I don't doubt he can still do a job but age, injuries and ability is showing.

Central Midfield - We have tried every other available to us and we don't have a third midfield who fits in with Allan and Doucoure. A out and out ball winner who shields the back four is needed.

Right Winger - Iwobi has been excellent and played well but this position is vital to balance out the front 3. James has taken this role but he hasn't the width or pace to drive defences back. This position also gives us another option from the attacking point.

We are having a good season but we could be a great season.

Perhaps. I agree that there are limits to the magic that Carlo can work with current personnel. However, clubs with much more expensively assembled rosters than ours also look vulnerable.

If we have to go too long without all of those players, you're correct that we'll finish behind the vulnerable, expensive sides...and possibly some of the less expensive sides that are playing relatively well.

Additional pieces would be lovely, but I'm not sure that we can realistically swing that with the eventual specter of FFP hanging over our present financial losses. Making acquisitions, making the top 4 and then having to sell our best talent in order to actually have European football would be quite the Pyrrhic victory.

Sat last night looking at our starting XI and even without James or Digne we still need first choice players in:

Right Back - Holgate has done well but Coleman has to be upgraded, I don't doubt he can still do a job but age, injuries and ability is showing.

Central Midfield - We have tried every other available to us and we don't have a third midfield who fits in with Allan and Doucoure. A out and out ball winner who shields the back four is needed.

Right Winger - Iwobi has been excellent and played well but this position is vital to balance out the front 3. James has taken this role but he hasn't the width or pace to drive defences back. This position also gives us another option from the attacking point.

Those 3 solutions are already at the club but Carlo is too stubborn to see it.

Right Back - Kenny. Given time he could become the best rb in the league. Schalke said he was the best rb they ever had, if not one of the best the Bundesliga has ever seen.

CM - Mo Besic. Only player in world football to successfully mark Messi out of a game. Perfect for our system, has absolutely everything going for him. He's basically De Bruyne, Xavi + Vieira built into one player.

RW - Yala Bolasie. Easily the best winger in the league when fully fit. Get him in the team and he'd be far more consistent and effective than bums like Mane + Mahrez. Plus Richy + James could learn so much from him too.

Merry Xmas Ya'll

Right Back - Kenny. Given time he could become the best rb in the league. Schalke said he was the best rb they ever had, if not one of the best the Bundesliga has ever seen.

CM - Mo Besic. Only player in world football to successfully mark Messi out of a game. Perfect for our system, has absolutely everything going for him. He's basically De Bruyne, Xavi + Vieira built into one player.

RW - Yala Bolasie. Easily the best winger in the league when fully fit. Get him in the team and he'd be far more consistent and effective than bums like Mane + Mahrez. Plus Richy + James could learn so much from him too.

Merry Xmas Ya'll

Bed.
Bed.
Bed.

Merry Xmas Ya'll

Good try

I trust CA to get it right no matter the transfer. He was proven right with J Rod and Allan. Hopefully we can look at another creative option to partner J Rod. I know its controversial but i would put a bid for Coutinho in January (CA Likes him). Not in favor with Koeman, not happy in sunny spain. He would be an upgrade on Siggy.

I find it quite baffling you think we need ANOTHER ball-winning midfielder while we have Allan and Doucs.

We need somebody who can play football.

The player Gomes is meant to be.

I find it quite baffling you think we need ANOTHER ball-winning midfielder while we have Allan and Doucs.

Yeah. We need a ball-winner as it stands because Gbamin and Allan are injured. But that's temporary and can be fixed in different ways (don't play 4-3-3 etc if they're not all fit - as we've seen in the last few games and it worked).

We need a ball carrier. The lad who has just gone to Leipzig whose name I do not care to try and spell on Christmas Eve is the perfect type of player we should be after for that role.

But that's gonna have to wait. We have urgent need in the forward areas to take strain off Richarlison and Dom - and James, when he's fit. That need was urgent and should have been addressed in October. Our recruitment team/management chose not to and that was a dismal decision. Needs to be fixed next month - no excuse.

dont think we can move James central .. to the Gomes position .. won’t be box to box but could thread between those two and the front three ?

Very good post

Status
Not open for further replies.