Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's an argument to be made that getting rid of a DoF has zero impact until the next transfer window.

Fortunately, we're about to get some evidence that may help us render some judgments.
We're already seeing it. How could it not have impact? One person previoulsy involved in decision making on player transfers is no longer there. Ergo those that are left making decisions have their hand strengthened.

This manager isn't going to be having any owner choose his targets for him. Whatever you think about Benitez he is his own man. Whatever player we get this window will be his player. No ifs or buts. And that is the way it should be. We needed to go back to basics and ditch that layer of BS bureacracy that failed us to great cost for 6 years.

Would it?

English centre forward with an almost unique profile (combination of pace and aerial ability), still improving and only 24. 16 league goals last season without a single penalty (and taking into account that for the second half of the season he was playing in a side that barely created a chance). And still our 2nd top scorer this season despite only having played 3 games.

Lukaku went for nearly £100m - DCL this season has 2 goals less than Rom, in less than a quarter the number of games. Now am I saying he's as good as Rom? No, but he's 5 years younger and English.

This whole "English" centre forward stuff doesn't really ads value to the player, when has a team ever struggled to fill the quota? All the big teams in England have squads full of English players.

He is quite unique I'll give you that, but he doesn't get in any top team in England bar maybe arsenal, and I don't think arsenal will go and pay 70/80m for him ( neither will anyone )

Anything over 50m for DCL would be amazing business, he's a good player but Jesus Christ he's not that good.

Lukuku went for 100m or whatever because he had just won the league on the back of 30ish goals, a number he hits on a regular basis and has done for the best part of 10 years. When DCL can hit those numbers on a regular basis I'm sure he'd go for them amounts as well

We're already seeing it. How could it not have impact? One person previoulsy involved in decision making on player transfers is no longer there. Ergo those that are left making decisions have their hand strengthened.

This manager isn't going to be having any owner choose his targets for him. Whatever you think about Benitez he is his own man. Whatever player we get this window will be his player. No ifs or buts. And that is the way it should be. We needed to go back to basics and ditch that layer of BS bureacracy that failed us to great cost for 6 years.

Does not mean they will any frigging good.

My point is simply that removing the DoF from the equation has no impact until there is a transfer process. There may be an impact inside the black box of the club, but we can't judge on much other than the black box outputs we observe.

I don't necessarily agree with the position that one person should call the shots on transfer strategy. Committees have advantages and disadvantages, and can be useful tools if utilized properly. What I will say is that single-ownership definitely makes it easier from the perspective of the external observer to assign both credit and blame.

If there's one player we shouldn't sell, it's DCL. Young striker who scores goals and is boss in the air when Benitez's only tactic appears to be get it out wide and sling the ball in. We should also remember how bad we were after selling Lukaku and reinvesting poorly with the aim of "spreading the goals round". Sell literally anyone else. Digne, Mina, Richie, all very good players, but far easier to replace. Likely get replacements in on cheaper wages too for the most part. Rich almost certainly wants to leave at the end of the year, but I wouldn't entertain anything less than £60m.

Status
Not open for further replies.