Everton in 2024

Bedfordblue

Player Valuation: ¥50m
I saw this headline from the Coleman interview and it got me thinking.

What ‘bit of Everton’ is Dyche bringing back, and is it something we want brought back, or should we be looking forwards rather than harking back to bygones with perhaps too much nostalgia?

Is it spirit, in which case what typifies the Everton spirit?
He’s certainly not bringing back the swagger of the mid 80’s.
In Seamus 16 years at the club, what has he experienced that needs to be brought back, is it an underdog mentality from the Moyes era?
Is it the People’s Club (whatever that is), if indeed that’s been lost with some of the high earning wage thieves of the last 7 years?

What ‘bit of Everton’ has been eroded and can be seen to be, or should we hope to bring back?
(For the record - ‘Yer ma’ doesn’t count as a bit of Everton)

What ‘bit of Everton’ is Dyche bringing back, and is it something we want brought back, or should we be looking forwards rather than harking back to bygones with perhaps too much nostalgia?

In Seamus 16 years at the club, what has he experienced that needs to be brought back, is it an underdog mentality from the Moyes era?
Is it the People’s Club (whatever that is), if indeed that’s been lost with some of the high earning wage thieves of the last 7 years?

What ‘bit of Everton’ has been eroded and can be seen to be, or should we hope to bring back?
Personally I believe he has brought a sliver of hope, rather than the resigned slump of the shoulders when next season is discussed. May not quite be glass half full, but maybe that would be possible if we progress again.

Without Pickford, branthwaite and tarkowski, we would have been relegated.

Only thing I see is a solid defence and players working hard with more fight but not much else.

DCL scoring also helped in the season end run in

Wins Vs Forest and the rs brought back people's smiles, that's a bit of Everton we haven't seen for a while - I'll take that for a start.

We might have to have a whip ‘round between us, but we will get the stadium built and get rid of all the dead wood and start improved and sensible player trading and get back on our feet. Just need to find a reasonable investor. Easy!

A bit of team spirit. Not sure that Dyche has brought it as much as the disappearance of overpaid mercenaries has allowed it to resurface.

Players showing a bit of a pride .

Some of them maybe errr, industrial rather than silky but despite their shortcomings, they usually leave everything on the pitch. That's down to the manager and his clichéd the minimum is 100%.

We lucked out appointing him. To think people were advocating for Duncan 🫣

Thing is effort, pride and that sort of think, isn’t uniquely Everton, albeit they have been somewhat missing.
I wonder whether it’s is more of an ‘up and attem’ approach to football, trying to play in the oppos final ⅓ etc….. is Dycheball actually suited to Everton / Evertonians?
I think had we had someone to finish some of the multitude of chances that went begging earlier in the season the fan base would be more accepting of his methods.

In a heartbeat, I would take that 80s swagger, was watching ECWC bits and pieces yesterday and a re run of the Bayern Semi, to have that again may be a bridge too far for Dyche but one can dream, can't we?