Everton, fan tokens and cryptocurrency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep that head buried

I'm not the one with the head buried my man. Crypto ain't going anywhere, it'll have widespread adoption soon whether people like it or not. Banks are already moving towards CBDCs

You're listing a small amount of scams that happen in the world of crypto as if to insinuate that these same crimes don't happen with fiat currencies. They do and have happened for a long time and will continue to do so. A fraudster will use any means necessary

Main function of crypto is for illegal activies

Scam

You sounds like the 60 year old alco uncle at a family event.

Anyway, more directly on topic. The use case in these gimmicky football tokens is suspect. I highly doubt any club really views it as a vehicle for access to content. Seems to me like an easy way to piggy back and gain exposure to a different market that they may not have exposure to before. Traders will trade anything with volume regardless of the what it's about. Of course some traders will start to ask questions. That can only be positive for the club. Also, there's the obvious money to be made by the club gaining tokens and dumping them during pumps.

It's all a bit gimmicky and seems like a cheap and easy few quid for the club. I wouldn't read too much in to it.

Another example of the club practicing the very opposite of what they preach.

It's similar to Football Index in that the value of the asset is a complete blag.

I'm not even comfortable hosting debate on here - but then we have Everton endorsing it. Shame.
I did football index, was different and fun but then I only had £20 in it

I did football index, was different and fun but then I only had £20 in it

They offered me a few quid to promote that in its early days. They were looking for authenticity. No chance could we do that in good conscience.

Then clubs started to endorse it - Nottingham Forest etc had it as their shirt sponsor.

They kept coming back asking us to promote it. No chance.

Personally don't think football clubs should be allowed to endorse stuff like this. It should be illegal IMO.

They offered me a few quid to promote that in its early days. They were looking for authencity. No chance could we do that in good conscience.

Then clubs started to endorse it - Nottingham Forest etc had it as their shirt sponsor.

They kept coming back asking us to promote it. No chance.

Personally don't think football clubs should be allowed to endorse stuff like this. It should be illegal IMO.

Do you remember when football clubs started to turn into PLC's, some fund manager launched a Football Club Share unit trust? Alan Hanson was their main promoter on the ads. I was in that game back then, and we just looked at each other and giggled.

IIRC, the gist of the ad hook was Millwall (lol) had a decent cup run.

Bit of a broad and ignorant generalisation there. Some crypto is a scam i.e. rugpulls etc and Bitcoin (which literally does nothing). Other crypto will be used in the future esp in the the financial sector and for big data. It'll be big in gaming also with NFTs etc. Its also already being used for proof of vaccination in some places.
Good point. I've got my gaming rig mining eth. Made good money from it.

Crypto has its uses. There are indeed many alt coins that are worthless. Xlm for example allows transfer of funds without extortionate bank charges. Certain blockchains and their associated tokens have their use and should not be generalised as cartel money moving vehicles. Why wouldn't digital currency in a digital world be viable? Like anything, knowledge and awareness is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.