Everton and Man UTD comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
Ever since the beginning of the premier league I've compared our individual players to Man UTD. The reason being that they have been the top side and always played with flair and had players who were extremely exciting.

The one time when I thought that we were beginning to have an exciting team was when we had Kanchelskis and Limpar on the flanks (although rarely seemed to play together) Ferguson up top + and Unsworth and Parkinson as some of the young talent in the side + Michael Ball, Richard Dunne and Franny Jeffers about to come through...and Speed about to be signed of course.

Now, I'm not having a knee jerk positive reaction to UTD's recent defeat to CITY and I don't think we have as good a team or squad as UTD by some distance.

However we do look pretty damn strong in the following positions;

LB -- Baines (1 position)
CB -- Jagielka/Distin (1 position)
CM -- Fellaini/Rodwell/Barkley (2 positions)
RM -- Drenthe/Coleman (1 position)
RB -- Coleman (When he eventually moves there 1 position)

Obviously, UTD have a world class player in Rooney and other quality such as Ferdinand,Vidic,Nani,Berbatov,Hernandez and Evra.

But in the positions above, Ferdinand seems on the way down but Vidic would still walk into our team.....UTD fans are saying Evra is going the same way as Ferdinand. In midfield they only have Nani as an outstanding player who would be on the left (if i'm not wrong).....Rafael and Coleman seem similar

Looking at our team I would suggest that possibly we have 5 or 6 positions where we are as good as if not better than Man UTD....

I would suggest that if we had a quality playmaker in the Cahill role + a Rooney standard centre forward we would really be able to give them a game....

I pretty much agree with you there, but I still think that we're only missing a decent playmaker, and with Cahill in form and Saha not injured, the rest of the team is solid and we can give anyone a run for their money...

Again, it's amazing what a win can do. Not having a go Zat, but would you have started this if Zamora bagged that open goal? As for us, we have decent players, and a season or two ago we were 2 or 3 players away from being serious challengers for the top 4 IMO, however when you sell our two best playmakers and don't replace them we are about 5 players away now. However i am encouraged by the youngsters we have coming through

Disagree. Any united player in any postition would basically walk into our team.

We can at least match them on our day. They aren't a world away on a head-to-head basis, but over the course of a season its like Usain Bolt versus James Corden.

It's not just the players, it's the Man Utd culture.

They win, they're programmed to win and they will always win; we're programmed under Moyes to come out of adversity shining.

We could (and did) have Rooney, Nani, Young etc and we still wouldn't get anywhere near their level.

Not a rant, just my two cents.

Fellaini and Baiines are the only ones good enough to get in United's team.

They win, they're programmed to win and they will always win; we're programmed under Moyes to come out of adversity shining.

We could (and did) have Rooney, Nani, Young etc and we still wouldn't get anywhere near their level.

This and that

Again, it's amazing what a win can do. Not having a go Zat, but would you have started this if Zamora bagged that open goal? As for us, we have decent players, and a season or two ago we were 2 or 3 players away from being serious challengers for the top 4 IMO, however when you sell our two best playmakers and don't replace them we are about 5 players away now. However i am encouraged by the youngsters we have coming through

I was thinking the same thing 2 seasons ago to be honest....however we were totally undone by injuries to Yakubu/Jagielka/Arteta our top players and team spine....although they didnt really have top quality around them....

Having said that, I dont think our central midfield was comparable to what we 'may' have if Fellaini stays and cements a partnership with Rodwell + Barkley starts pushing them from the bench.

On paper I think we're getting there although realistically the lack of a traditional playmaker and top forward are blindingly obvious as are the need for Coleman to be played at right back + finding a central defensive partnership that works....

Oh, and of course we need a left midfielder as Osman playing there is like having 10men.

I would agree with this to a point. UTD are programmed to attack at all costs throughout the game + with the amount of quality they have had for years in attack this means they score + win....in recent history in the dying minutes to win trophies.

Moyes has also instilled something similar in our team which can be seen in the fact that we score MANY goals in the last few minutes of games.....

However I would say that Moyes' mindset is not to concede rather than UTDs mentality of continuous attacking.

Given that United won the league and reached the CL final I suspect there is some rose tinting going on here. Midfield is their weakest part of the side, and really only Felli would get in their midfield. Nani and Young are better than our wide players and whilst their central midfielders aren't great, Carrick still has 20 odd England caps, Anderson has Brazil caps and so on. With respect to Osman and Rodwell, they wouldn't get in the United side.

Worth remembering of course that football is not just a case of first XI's. They have a squad far superior to our own unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.