Everton and England

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said this before many times in posts.

I despise the English national football team and love it when they exit tournaments.

Why?

It first started sometime around 1977 when Ron Greenwood decided that as Liverpool were the champions of Europe and indesputably the best team in England at the time (Cloughie's Forest were about to dispute it a year later....as indeed did our own dear Gordon with his team featuring Big Bob and Dave Thomas), he would select every RS player who was English and send them out to represent the national team, augmented by players from other clubs who filled the positions LFC's Micks, Jocks or Taffs filled at The Pit.

Six of the buggers played for England that night, including Ian Callaghan whose sole previous cap was around 1965 or sommat.

How the heck could any Evertonian support a team full of players he loathed?

Then we had the Thatcher era........the heyday of my away travelling years.

And every ground we went to in the south had boys waving tenners at us and singing about signing on to the tune of that Anfield dirge.

And Oop North inbreds from exotic places like Barnsley, Oldham and Middlesboro urged us to look in the dustbin for a meal.

And all these buggers had one thing in common.

They were England fans to a man......you could see the names of their poxy towns on the flags waved by neo Nazi, Combat 18 types disgracing the name of England the length and breadth of Europe.

Not for me, beaky.

If there is one thing following Everton away has taught me it is that the city of Liverpool and its inhabitants are despised by the football fans of England.

So they can keep their international team.

Then there is our own sense of otherness.

This is the least Anglo Saxon city in England.

Our people are made up mostly from Celtic immigrants.....from Wales, Ireland and Scotland.

From African sailors and freed slaves......from the thriving Liverpool Chinese community which gave us the biggest "Chinatown" in Europe.

We can do one of two things......we can go down the Commitments route and make ourselves like the North Dubs of Ireland :)

Or we can shout it loud......we're Scouse and we're proud ;)

Screw England.

Viva the People's Republic of Liverpool.......:celebrate:

Brilliant post. You should get an award for this.

Loved Euro 96 as a kid also liked Erikssons time as England manager even the disappointment of Taylor not getting to USA 94 I still enjoyed supporting them.

The older I got tho I just couldn't be bothered with them there always seemed to be pointless international friendlies throughout a season an the same Man U arsenal Liverpool players would get in even tho they were playing crap and there was better options at other teams.

Now the media pretty much picks the team for instance take Barkley, before the World Cup hodgson came out after a friendly in which Ross done well an said he's not all that an loses the ball a lot in dangerous places, fair comment but after a spell out on the bench for England but wit good performances in the league and growing pressure from the media and pundits to play him he's back in.

But on the whole I do buy in to the whole Scouse not English thing an why not the rest of the country has a big dislike to scousers mainly due to Liverpool in football terms and even past governments have turned there back on this city too so we're not liked politically either, but to wrap it all up I am proud to be English even British in terms of historical achievements in science industry etc but in terms of football a big no

Yes never ever liked the English football team, like Groucho don't know why, I support all English boxers in ameteur
international tournaments and professional boxers in world title fights but football no Ithink I just automtically support the
other team whenever England play

Whether you liked the national side or not. The player's view is that they like to play and pick up caps and it gets them on the world stage. Every one in a job surley likes to be given the nod if they do it well and players are no different.

I've put this on the home page,it'll appear later, but I wondered what you all thought too:

Coming off another international break, I find myself relieved that we have Everton to look forward to once more - I am no England fan at all. This is something that perplexes some blues I know from outside Liverpool, so let's look into it further.

I'm from Walton, and have been a blue all my life. I've a keen interest in football, but when internationals roll around, I find myself with no allegiance to England at all. Why? I don't know. Aside from the fact that I see pointless international friendlies as a sure-fire way to risk injuring an Everton player, when it comes to qualifiers/tournaments, I'll take an interest in all the teams from the British Isles, but I'm just not inclined to support solely England.

At this point I'd like to say that, while I know there's a lot of blues like me, I do appreciate that this is probably not the case if you are an Irish or Scottish blue - you'll love and be proud of your national team and rightly so, you should be. I sometimes wonder if it's almost a "Scouse not English" attitude that's been developed here over the last 30 years or so?

Are Everton and Liverpool a sort of dual "Scouse national team"? Some view Barcelona in this way, for their area, so perhaps it's the same here? Do Liverpool fans feel the same way? We frequently have players in the national side and I want them to do well individually, but the fear is always there that other clubs will hunt them down if they do well, to injure or poach them.

I'm not ridiculing those blues who support England, that's their choice and good on them, it's just not something I feel I can do - looking out for another team, albeit England, just feels wrong to me. I'm not ridiculing other blues for following England, it just feels wrong to me, to be looking for another teams results, even England.

Nor am I bitter towards the national side, because we have players as England regulars - it's not as though Everton players are ignored (these days). I realise I may be speaking for a minority here, but I know some at least agree with me.

Maybe I just love Everton.....

Strange one for me as I was born in Barcelona to a Spanish Dad and an Irish mum, but moved to Liverpool when I was 3. Everton obviously comes above everything by far, and I don't tend to be that bothered when England are playing either.

I love it when Ireland do well and I think Spain are great to watch, I watch both of them in the qualifiers most of the time but I don't really go out my way for either of them, but do support both in major tournaments.

I`m born in East Germany and I support England since 1966 and Everton since 1973.After the Berlin Wall broke down I can travel to watch Everton and England.A lot of my friends from East Germany support England and don`t like the German National Team.I know it`s difficult to understand for people from UK...First the Club,2nd the National Team.

I have said this before many times in posts.

I despise the English national football team and love it when they exit tournaments.

Why?

It first started sometime around 1977 when Ron Greenwood decided that as Liverpool were the champions of Europe and indesputably the best team in England at the time (Cloughie's Forest were about to dispute it a year later....as indeed did our own dear Gordon with his team featuring Big Bob and Dave Thomas), he would select every RS player who was English and send them out to represent the national team, augmented by players from other clubs who filled the positions LFC's Micks, Jocks or Taffs filled at The Pit.

Six of the buggers played for England that night, including Ian Callaghan whose sole previous cap was around 1965 or sommat.

How the heck could any Evertonian support a team full of players he loathed?

Then we had the Thatcher era........the heyday of my away travelling years.

And every ground we went to in the south had boys waving tenners at us and singing about signing on to the tune of that Anfield dirge.

And Oop North inbreds from exotic places like Barnsley, Oldham and Middlesboro urged us to look in the dustbin for a meal.

And all these buggers had one thing in common.

They were England fans to a man......you could see the names of their poxy towns on the flags waved by neo Nazi, Combat 18 types disgracing the name of England the length and breadth of Europe.

Not for me, beaky.

If there is one thing following Everton away has taught me it is that the city of Liverpool and its inhabitants are despised by the football fans of England.

So they can keep their international team.

Then there is our own sense of otherness.

This is the least Anglo Saxon city in England.

Our people are made up mostly from Celtic immigrants.....from Wales, Ireland and Scotland.

From African sailors and freed slaves......from the thriving Liverpool Chinese community which gave us the biggest "Chinatown" in Europe.

We can do one of two things......we can go down the Commitments route and make ourselves like the North Dubs of Ireland :)

Or we can shout it loud......we're Scouse and we're proud ;)

Screw England.

Viva the People's Republic of Liverpool.......:celebrate:

This, 100% this.

England's just a 'Guest star' by-product of the real thing anyway. Why cheer on a load of players from other clubs who you'd been slating the week before, or will be next week?

Everton's where it's at.....

Status
Not open for further replies.