Everton 2-1 Real Betis Sunday 11th August

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still look like we are adapting and some of our players are really going to be tested this season but thankfully for us we won't be playing these Spanish sides week in week out. Both Leagues have there strengths and weaknesses but they just look far more tactically drilled, understand the system and technically, there's still a bit of the gap. The game over here is faster and more energetic but that leaves gaps and spaces you can exploit, hopefully we can take advantage of that, but I can definitely see there being a transitional period.

I'd like to see Pienaar given more movement and licience to drift across the pitch, he seems to be playing a bit closer to the touchline under Martinez, he can link up there but his intelligence and cleverness is needed in central areas, either that, or he plays centrally, which I'm surprised Martinez hasn't tried. In the games Deulofeu plays he could play as a number 10 or on preferably, for me, on the left of a three man midfield, so he's close to Baines but can also influence our football.

i think we need anichebe in our starting 11. he offers something which no other player can in that he holds the ball up really well. jelavic was a headless chicken first half and kone will be no different. i feel that we played really well on our usa tour but today was really really bad and we are in trouble if its anything to go by

Thankfully that was free to watch, appalling match. Dont really care for the result in these games more a case of how we performed. Not really sure that we did perform to be honest. Goals werent crafted from the free flowing football that we are said to be looking to play. Our midfield seemed reluctant to pass to a team mate and when they did it was all forced. The lack of ball playing midfielders was apparent today esp when Gibbo went off. Not sure Johnny H is the man for the deep playmaking role. I guess that things will pan out differently v Norwich - fingers crossed.

Compared to who?

Distin?
Jags?

Doesn't that tell a story.

Baines Gibson osman pienaar.....none did any better
It doesn't have to be compared to anyone. He was just, quite simply, poor. Whether or not anyone played beter or worse doesn't change how he played - he was poor.

I think Kenada is spot on stressing the DM role needs sorting. Fellaini on the pitch would have been a different story today though. They must have seen the team sheet and thought 'we'll get at these easy' and they were right.

Yeah, I wanted a winger and/or a striker earlier on, but it's becoming clear we need a destroyer in there to break up attacks, as Gibson's not going to do it. Fellaini is that man when he's at it, imo (City game a couple of years back was an example of what he can do). He's precisely what we need to shield the back four. If he goes, I fear for us. We would need to get it 100% right with his replacement. This is why the idea of his replacement being James McCarthy makes me want to vomit.

Thankfully that was free to watch, appalling match. Dont really care for the result in these games more a case of how we performed. Not really sure that we did perform to be honest. Goals werent crafted from the free flowing football that we are said to be looking to play. Our midfield seemed reluctant to pass to a team mate and when they did it was all forced. The lack of ball playing midfielders was apparent today esp when Gibbo went off. Not sure Johnny H is the man for the deep playmaking role. I guess that things will pan out differently v Norwich - fingers crossed.
Two words: James McCarthy.

Ok so that is an opinion not a fact then. Teams without a league title will certainly put up a billboard saying they have won this they have won that (even a Charity Shield). In the end, it is still a trophy. Ok you think it not a trophy which is as important as the F.A Cup (I agree with that) but still, if we have a chance, I would like our club to win that.

And I ask you do you think UEFA Super Cup is worthless too since it is an one off game.

Worthless? No. I don't think the Charity Shield is "worthless" either -- I just don't rank it as a real trophy. You don't get a trophy for finishing second in the league but I wouldn't consider that worthless either.

Much like the Charity Shield the Super Cup is "worth less" than the real trophies you win to qualify for it but it's also not "worthless."

Status
Not open for further replies.