Match Thread Everton 2-0 Liverpool - Chat, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely the Hansen hand ball in the Milk Cup Final, as blatant penalty as they come!

In the 86 Cup Final, we went 1-0 up and they were panicking to the extent that they were fighting amongst themselves, particularly if I remember rightly Grobbelar and Beglin going at it in their penalty area! Then a few minutes later Gary Stevens had his “moment” and gifted them a way back in!

If we would have won the milk cup and / or '86 then maybe the whole psychology would be different 😂

Let’s make the list that we will no doubt be adding to on Wednesday,

Graham Poll disallowing Don Hutchinson’s goal by blowing the full time whistle as the rolled into the goal.
Jack Rodwell being sent off for a tackle on Suarez, the striker jumping a foot off the floor, screaming in pain. Card was later rescinded.
Carragher pulling down Lescott for a none penalty.
Gerrard not sent off for a 2 footer on Gary Naysmith. Naysmiths scream echoed around the ground. One of the worst tackles I’ve ever seen on a football pitch.
Gerrard leaving his leg out and winning a penalty against a chasing Hibbert, the ref went to give a booking, Gerrard had a word, thus became a red.
Allison being allowed to take a free kick after stoppage time. Allowing Origi to score in 90+6.
this is just scratching the surface!

Go 3 at the back and put Keane in. Our only chance at a goal is a set piece and RS dont have much in strength/height outside of Konate/Van Dijk/Nunez.

Any corner/free kick we get - get Tarks, Keane, Branthwaite, DCL, Doucs & Onana all attacking the ball and we may just get some joy.

Go 3 at the back and put Keane in. Our only chance at a goal is a set piece and RS dont have much in strength/height outside of Konate/Van Dijk/Nunez.

Any corner/free kick we get - get Tarks, Keane, Branthwaite, DCL, Doucs & Onana all attacking the ball and we may just get some joy.
They'd absolutely bum us on the counter attack though. Pace vs defensive players out of position attacking set pieces and no pace to get back.

I honestly feel a pathetic attempt-to-bore-them-to-a-draw attempt is the best approach here: Keep the four at the back but forfeit a striker for Onana in midfield, and play 4-1-5-0, or 4-1-4-1 with Doucoure the most advanced player and just smother them in the middle of the park.

More than likely we'll lose, but hopefully not by too many.

Pickford
Young-Tarkowski-Branthwaite-Myko
Gueye
Harrison-Onana-Garner-McNeil
Doucoure
(playing 10 yards deeper than a striker would)​

Not. Keane. Ever.

Normally I would be happy with the back 4, but Klopp pretty much rested all his big hitters on Sunday whereas we played a gruelling match. Add in no Beto'o I just do not see where our chances at goal come from outside of a set piece / worldie strike.

Keane may have his faults but he will at least chip in with goals, help defend aerial balls from TAA hoofing it into our box. It will also keep Young a bit further up the pitch and away from our box !