Europa League

Which Everton player will be the most influential during the Europa League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Far be it for me to praise Moyes, but he handled these EL stage games very differently but equally as successful as Martinez has. Moyes played a lot of kids and made loads of early subs and we got through groups as hard if not more difficult than this one.

If Moyes was bold enough to do that, I expect Martinez to also.
I am happy that we are playing full strength in Europe as don't think it is that as such that is affecting our league form as we seem to have decent energy in the second half of the Sunday games. Think it is more an issue we can't break down teams that pressure us and sit deep to play on the counter/set pieces.

But fair point you raise about previous Europa league games under Moyes.

Well we need to get used to it - if we qualify for the CL are we going to say the same thing about not wanting to try in europe? It's a learning curve for the squad - if we can't do it in the league after an easy EL game, what will be like if we have to play better teams and put in that effort just to not get battered?

Anyone who thinks we will qualify for the Champions League is massively deluded.

I am happy that we are playing full strength in Europe as don't think it is that as such that is affecting our league form as we seem to have decent energy in the second half of the Sunday games. Think it is more an issue we can't break down teams that pressure us and sit deep to play on the counter/set pieces.

But fair point you raise about previous Europa league games under Moyes.

That's usually the BIG complaint generally about EL football though: that it's the early part of the next games afterward it affects. We do finish strong, but the inertia we suffer getting up to speed is a heavy price to pay as it means we have to chase games for a point or the three.

That's usually the BIG complaint generally about EL football though: that it's the early part of the nest games afterward it affects. We do finish strong, but the inertia we suffer getting up to speed is a heavy price to pay as it means we have to chase games for a point or the three.
Fair point. However if we ever do play CL football we won't be able to field a 2nd string side, might as well work out how to handle it now. Plus I'm not as confident as you that ateam with kids will beat Lille/Wolfsburg.

Fair point. However if we ever do play CL football we won't be able to field a 2nd string side, might as well work out how to handle it now. Plus I'm not as confident as you that ateam with kids will beat Lille/Wolfsburg.

I do believe that's all part of a European learning curve though for a manager. Sometimes you have to be cool and calculated enough to know that you're best taking a gamble and a possible defeat in order to manage your progress in the competition with other responsibilities.

Look at the way Wolfsburg have progressed: they lost one big, drew the next home game, but didn't panic and won the next two big. Now currently 2nd in the Bundesliga.

Are we giving too much to these midweek games?

We seem to be putting all our better/high tempo performances into these matches and our edge/focus/energy seems poor in some games afterward (Villa apart).

I'd like us to go through and do well, but do we really have to go full throttle in these and use pretty much full first team players?

I'd expect Martinez to rotate for the last two knowing we are pretty much in the KO rounds.
Think now that we've all but qualified (need 1 pt from last 2 matches) we'll see a weaker XI in the remaining group games. We're in exactly the position we want to be as regards qualification, just a shame it came at the expense of dropping so many league points.

Could be worse though, we could be spurs...

Think now that we've all but qualified (need 1 pt from last 2 matches) we'll see a weaker XI in the remaining group games. We're in exactly the position we want to be as regards qualification, just a shame it came at the expense of dropping so many league points.

Could be worse though, we could be spurs...

Maybe. Or maybe Roberto has his eyes on impressing future bosses in the same way as Moyes was.

I suspect he sees this competition as an international showcase for his managerial talents.

Problem is the injuries have meant we can't even rotate

Barry out means we'll still see mccarthy in the side and probably besic who will come into the side now in the league matches

Pienaar is a waste of a wage this season never being fit and atsu never plays, kev injured means again mcgeady will feature in both EL and PL matches.

That leaves LM and CAM between barkley, naismith and Eto'o, 2 out of 3 means atleast One of those will feature in both games.

Maybe. Or maybe Roberto has his eyes on impressing future bosses in the same way as Moyes was.

I suspect he sees this competition as an international showcase for his managerial talents.

You mean like the FA Cup with Wigan....

Problem is the injuries have meant we can't even rotate

Barry out means we'll still see mccarthy in the side and probably besic who will come into the side now in the league matches

Pienaar is a waste of a wage this season never being fit and atsu never plays, kev injured means again mcgeady will feature in both EL and PL matches.

That leaves LM and CAM between barkley, naismith and Eto'o, 2 out of 3 means atleast One of those will feature in both games.

Really good points there.
Reinforcements are now a priority in January.

If he's successful ,that means we've been successful....I'm ok with that.

Look at the way Wolfsburg have progressed: they lost one big, drew the next home game, but didn't panic and won the next two big. Now currently 2nd in the Bundesliga.

Yeah Wolfsburg are a good side, as they showed in the 2nd half at Goodison! A point from there would be an excellent result

Anyone who thinks we will qualify for the Champions League is massively deluded.

no mate - we have a very very realistic chance. i mean soton, west ham and swansea are up there at the moment, we find some form we can easily have a great europa run AND qualify for CL through the league - you're undervaluing us so much - the competition is not great.

you're also saying people are deluded if they think we can't win europa, which based on our results so far is baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.