Dyche; A Great Achievement?

Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

We’re safe, we can have the discussion on how well Dyche did.
Yep , totally agree it's amazing that he's not in the radar of the RS , Man U and Chelsea as their next manager

Think this is a poor way to look at it to be honest because frankly we were never in a relegation battle but we were forced to look like we were. That false percpetion killed us all year and it's easy to see with the unrest from all around the club. Had we gone this season without the deductions and everything hanging over the club we'd have easily been a top half team, if not challenging for Europe.

We shouldn't look at the clubs below us and be relieved they didn't put more pressure on, we should be looking at how poor this league is from 5th down and being annoyed that we were actually robbed of a potentially very good season. A lot depends on the owners and the finances available but I frankly would have no issues with Dyche leading us forward, think he can build us to be a European side maybe, but the key word there is build, it's gonna take years but honestly with the past few years, anything but a final day relegation scrap is good enough for me at the moment.

Not to mention we haven’t actually taken points off Luton or Sheffield United. That will be addressed shortly!

I could not praise Sean Dyche more for what he’s achieved, absolutely remarkable what he’s done with the points deductions and just the overall lack of quality and depth in the squad, we put Michael Keane upfront today ffs!

Who knows if Sean is the manager of the future for Everton, but I’ll always be grateful to him for keeping us up against the odds these last two seasons.

Not to mention we haven’t actually taken points off Luton or Sheffield United. That will be addressed shortly!
Exactly, which would most likely put us on 50 points. Easily you could make the argument that if the deductions didn't happen we could've won more too as there'd be less pressure. Bottled plenty of games this year but look if we can carry on the same form next year that'll be improvement, since we'd literally be 8 points off with the exact same results haha

its going to be hard to build though

we will need probably 2 more seasons of scraping

you can't turn a club around quickly and rebuild when you have a 95% wages to income ratio and one with a turnover of only 172 mil with operating expenses of 302.6 mil

we survived points deductions this season, we may not be so lucky in the future if we don't actually take drastic action and do something about this without having to rely on selling players

With what few resources he’s had to improve the squad, he’s got us very solid defensively, which was a problem before he joined. It’d be interesting if he had a few better and quicker attacking players in the team to see if the football and goals improve mind you.

Great Everton Managers are judged on the trophy’s they win, I’ve had the great pleasure to have watched the Catterick and Kendall years but I got a bit of stick after suggesting that if Dyche keeps us up it should genuinely be considered one of the great Everton managerial achievements.

Players and staff don’t live in a vacuum, the off-field issues have to manifest themselves on the pitch;

- avoided relegation in the last day of the season but despite an obvious lack of quality in the squad a great improvement saw us moving along nicely until the first points deduction kicked in.
- players playing with freedom become uptight, the crowd becomes nervous. 8 points deducted but the reality is its cost us more than that. Rooney was saying in the week how impossible it is to manage a club with points deducted.
- shambles off the pitch, an absent owner, the conflict with the Board. The chairman passes away, the Board sacked and transitioned to new personnel. No money for January transfers.
- lack of quality in key positions, no goalscorer yet he found a way to accumulate points. He’s coped with injuries and still kept us competitive.
- through all the issues he’s protected the players and I never thought for one minute he’d ‘lost the dressing room’.
- we all have our selection issues but he’s uncomplicated and pragmatic. Defensively outstanding, players not found wanting for effort.

I believe keeping us up this season is one of the great managerial achievements in my 60+ years watching. Dyche is unpopular on here but I didn’t mind watching his team earlier in the season, defended well but got players forward and created chances. When the going got tough he’s done what he needed to get us over the line.

If he looked like Frank Lampard and had the playing CV of the aforementioned fan-friendly fraud, he'd be drowning in the seminal fluid of a fanbase desperate for a saviour. But he looks like Stone Cold Steve Austin, smells like Hovis, and sounds like a driveway, so he'll have to make do with a firm handshake from those who know.

Agreed. Its not school of science stuff, but he managed the club with both hands tied behind his back and swimming against the tide. That all takes both strength and determination together with skill and experience. We haven't a great squad but he got them solid enough that we were not an embarrassment and we did not fail. A great achievement in the circumstances.

Another year of building, in my view, and go from there.

Exactly.

We need a different club to start playing that every week. But with an astute signing for the attacking third we can work toward a better balance between defence and attack.
You only have to look at Palace. Haven’t spent fortunes but the signings of Olise and Eze have transformed them as an attacking unit. If we could get a couple of attacking players of similar ilk, to inject serious pace and creativity at the expense of Doucoure and Harrison, we’d be significantly stronger.

Mate is a blackburn ST holder, he was advocating Dyche when Benetiz was sacked. He said he’d just what you need to organise and get the players together, and gel with the crowd. He messaged me tonight to say what an achievement to keep us up with the points deductions. Said I doubt anyone could have done as well as him under the circumstances.

I would like to see what he can do with a proper squad.

I don’t think Martinez could have done what he’s done this season but I wonder what Dyche would have done with the spine of Martinez’s teams and the dynamic, inexperienced youth that surrounded them.

Not a knock to Dyche. Just different situations need different managers.