2022/23 Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he played well against Chelsea and tired in the 2nd half. Showed a few times he had great feet and could spot a pass. Also played some nice intricate passes to get out of trouble. He seemed to be more tucked in and playing amongst the midfielders, probably because of the danger Chelsea posed, so it was more of tactical choice.

Against Villa he wasnt quite as effective as he appeared to be playing further forward and we werent controlling the ball centrally. We couldve done with him coming deeper again, and maybe he'd have been more influential. His over hit pass to Gray was unfortunate as that was a real chance, but at least he got in to that area and saw the pass.

To me, he has offered far more than Gordon in both games, and i was surprised at the negative opinions of him. Similar with Gray.

I think he has a lot more to offer.

Just really odd we didn’t aim for a player with a track record of doing this then, rather than take a punt that McNeil might get 8 or 10 in a season.

We can't expect McNeil to score anywhere near 8-10.

3 or 4 goals would be a fantastic return and would be his best ever season as a professional.

Well this is the point. If we can’t expect him to score 8 goals then why on earth have we signed him to play in a front 3?

We badly require more goals and it's unlikely he'll score them. Its highly unlikely that Gray or Townsend score as many as they did last season.

I've noticed that people on social media have been pooing on him a fair bit since the season started and it's completely unwarranted.

He's a new player who is still learning about his team-mates, in a side where he's had no striker to aim for, and is clearly playing catch up fitness-wise. Get behind him FFS, before he starts regretting ever coming.

He's an attacking player who scored zero goals and had one assist in 40 games last year. His opening two games have given a big glimpse into why that might be the case, he's been really really poor.

I don't know what people are expecting by giving him a run of games before making judgements when the previous two games is the level he put in for Burnley in his previous 40 games beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.