2022/23 Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's typically GOT to make an instant judgement on players.
Two games in yet the consensus seems to be that McNeil is crap.
Yes, he was disappointing in the two games so far, but every player has poor games occasionally.
I just have a feeling that he will come good and become a key player for us. ?

Forget whether he’s a good player or not, its very clear from his goal tally (and xG) that he’s not a goal scorer. If we’re playing 5-2-3, the front 3 HAVE to be able to score goals. So where does he fit in?

The attacking options we have are dire, I very much hope that once we get some more obvious central attacking players his role will adapt, maybe more centrally behind a striker.

I've noticed that people on social media have been pooing on him a fair bit since the season started and it's completely unwarranted.

He's a new player who is still learning about his team-mates, in a side where he's had no striker to aim for, and is clearly playing catch up fitness-wise. Get behind him FFS, before he starts regretting ever coming.

Forget whether he’s a good player or not, its very clear from his goal tally (and xG) that he’s not a goal scorer. If we’re playing 5-2-3, the front 3 HAVE to be able to score goals. So where does he fit in?
His role may be a bit further forward than when he was at Burnley. As a result, he may get more opportunities to score.

People judge him on what they've seen. His two performances have been woeful. Although I won't judge him overall until he's had a good run of games played in his best position rather than makeshift striker. Whatever happens though he needs to improve dramatically.

His role may be a bit further forward than when he was at Burnley. As a result, he may get more opportunities to score.

Just really odd we didn’t aim for a player with a track record of doing this then, rather than take a punt that McNeil might get 8 or 10 in a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.