Duncan's Testemonial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan C

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Duncan Fergusan, what can one really say about the big man. In my younger days, Big Dunc was along with many fellow blues my favourite Everton player. He epitomised Everton, he was Everton (and still is Everton). A giant of a man, he was the one player supporters could genuinely relate with, a rough diamond, polished and refined by the Goodison faithful and boy did that diamond shine. I'm man enough to say that I shed a tear or two when he ventured up to Tyneside for a holiday, but those magpies didn't appreciate the exotic bird that was so greatly appreciated and loved at Goodison. A lot of memories spring to mind when we think of big Dunc, the header against Utd, the passion with Jimmy Bullard but one unfortunately strikes a nerve that will live long in the memory, which brings me to my main point. Everton against all the odds qualified for the 2005 UEFA Champions league finishing 4th. That meant a qualifying tie against Villarreal a team laden with quite a few recognisable names. The first leg Everton lost 2-1 and so we headed to Estadio El Madrigal with optimism and hope. What played out needs no description and fans will remember the utter deflation and injustice that ensued. To this day I can still identify with the anger and pain of what could have been. So I suppose I'm writing this piece because I cannot fandom why Everton have decided to play Villarreal for the big mans testimonial. Don't get me wrong, he deserves a testimonial, he deserves an Oscar, he deserves a Nobel peace prize but why Everton, why them. Why bring back those feelings of what might have been!! We all remember that infamous night how it was a catalyst for a disastrous season, a humiliating defeat in the then called UEFA cup followed by a poor season which eventually ended with an 11th place finish. We have to change the mentality of our club, stop living in the past, do you honestly believe that a Man Utd or Chelsea would bring back a team who brought up sore memories for their fans. It's pretty clear that we can't match the level of monetary power that these clubs have and they'll be back in the champions league next year and we won't and won't for a long long time. We have to get back to that big club mentality and not be the pitied boys and I cringe for this spectacle. Rooney is coming back, for what exactly, so he can kiss the badge, oh wait, he did that a few times not only in a blue shirt but also a red one. It's cringeworthy it really is and just shows the mentality at the club at the moment. I'm a glass half full guy when it comes to Everton but I cannot stand the picture of the club it paints. I wish the big man a hero of mine all the best.

Duncan Fergusan, what can one really say about the big man. In my younger days, Big Dunc was along with many fellow blues my favourite Everton player. He epitomised Everton, he was Everton (and still is Everton). A giant of a man, he was the one player supporters could genuinely relate with, a rough diamond, polished and refined by the Goodison faithful and boy did that diamond shine. I'm man enough to say that I shed a tear or two when he ventured up to Tyneside for a holiday, but those magpies didn't appreciate the exotic bird that was so greatly appreciated and loved at Goodison. A lot of memories spring to mind when we think of big Dunc, the header against Utd, the passion with Jimmy Bullard but one unfortunately strikes a nerve that will live long in the memory, which brings me to my main point. Everton against all the odds qualified for the 2005 UEFA Champions league finishing 4th. That meant a qualifying tie against Villarreal a team laden with quite a few recognisable names. The first leg Everton lost 2-1 and so we headed to Estadio El Madrigal with optimism and hope. What played out needs no description and fans will remember the utter deflation and injustice that ensued. To this day I can still identify with the anger and pain of what could have been. So I suppose I'm writing this piece because I cannot fandom why Everton have decided to play Villarreal for the big mans testimonial. Don't get me wrong, he deserves a testimonial, he deserves an Oscar, he deserves a Nobel peace prize but why Everton, why them. Why bring back those feelings of what might have been!! We all remember that infamous night how it was a catalyst for a disastrous season, a humiliating defeat in the then called UEFA cup followed by a poor season which eventually ended with an 11th place finish. We have to change the mentality of our club, stop living in the past, do you honestly believe that a Man Utd or Chelsea would bring back a team who brought up sore memories for their fans. It's pretty clear that we can't match the level of monetary power that these clubs have and they'll be back in the champions league next year and we won't and won't for a long long time. We have to get back to that big club mentality and not be the pitied boys and I cringe for this spectacle. Rooney is coming back, for what exactly, so he can kiss the badge, oh wait, he did that a few times not only in a blue shirt but also a red one. It's cringeworthy it really is and just shows the mentality at the club at the moment. I'm a glass half full guy when it comes to Everton but I cannot stand the picture of the club it paints. I wish the big man a hero of mine all the best.

Hi mate
Welcome to GOT

We already have a thread about Big Dunc's testimonial at

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/big-dunc-testimonial-efc-vs-villareal-at-goodison-sun-aug-2nd.77105/

and also one about Rooney playing in it at

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/if-wayne-rooney-plays-in-big-duncs-testimonial-will-you-boo-him.77701/

Feel free to join in the discussions ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.