Donovan's miss....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the best strikers in the world miss much easier chances.
It's no big deal. Put it behind us and move on.

The game was on the radio earlier and I haven't seen it myself, from what I can gather it was a bit of a howler and Donovan, while I was under the impression he was the greatest thing since sliced bread in recent viewings and could not put a foot wrong, left himself open to ridicule at Spurs today with a miss of simplistic opportunity, and we could of got a draw today if he had done the right thing, but I'm not castigating the guy here, nor was I expecting him to levitate the ball and shoot into the opposition net with his laser eyes from 60 yards. :rolleyes:

All players suffer such incidents at one time or another, it was frustrating today, not only with that of course, but let's just get back on track and see where end of season leaves us.

For any detractors Donovan may have he has a golden chance to redeem himself (for today at least) this summer in standout fixtures, and if he performs and delivers the goods, I'll even allow his name in lights on Broadway.

yeah, I couldn't believe he missed it and that expression of his walking off the pitch at the end as if he was a zombie--->:blink:
I heard he still has the flu and that is why he started the game on the bench. That could have been the reason he looked like a zombie.

I really didn't think the miss was that bad. He was coming in fast, as was the ball, and he was outside of the post. It's not like he was in the middle of the box and launched it into row Z.

It was still a shame that he couldn't have put that in but I don't think it will affect his confidence. I have seen better players do worse, it happens. Now his MLS Cup 2009 penalty miss... now that was a howler.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkSkCFcBQ-I&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcpMWWOgxvk[/media]

Last edited:
I've seen worse. Even got the spit wrong.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocQT3fBW4Q[/media]

Landon has never been the kind of player to not take responsibility for his mistakes. While the miss was shocking and quite bad, it happens and football and the only solution is to move on. Hopefully this does not affect his confidence though.

the miss was painful, but what is worse is this is the note he's exiting on. Stellar for most all the matches he's been here, and ends on this note. I wonder if he's slightly fatigued or under the weather, as i don't think this is stereotypical. He's only had a handful of misses of this caliber in his career, most all of which have been posted in this thread. :cheers:

I heard he still has the flu and that is why he started the game on the bench. That could have been the reason he looked like a zombie.

I really didn't think the miss was that bad. He was coming in fast, as was the ball, and he was outside of the post. It's not like he was in the middle of the box and launched it into row Z.

It was still a shame that he couldn't have put that in but I don't think it will affect his confidence. I have seen better players do worse, it happens. Now his MLS Cup 2009 penalty miss... now that was a howler.

YouTube - Landon Donovan Penalty Miss vs Real Salt Lake MLS Final

YouTube - MLS Cup 2009 - Landon Donovan Penalty Kick Miss 11/22/2009

My thoughts exactly however I didn't post that as I didn't want to be seen as some sort of Donovan apologist. When it happened, I yelled "Awwwwwww" like all of you did but after seeing the replay it wasn't as someone said in the match thread yesterday with the "ball slowly running across the mouth of the goal."

Would have put money on him burying it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.