Donovan loan move, the marketing opportunites of Everton in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll help but not big time.

I was actually hoping that ESPN would do a short piece on is debut but football just isn't mainstream enough here for that sort of promo. Not yet anyway.

If we actually beat Arsenal instead drawing the game, it could have been different, the headline could have been "Donovan assist on his debut help Everton defeat Arsenal".

Well, there are always Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea & RS coming up, there are plenty of opportunities for Donovan to hit the headline on the ESPN.

How many American watch football? 1 out of 1000? How many of them are willing to spend money on Everton jersey? 1 out of 20 out of 1000? Of cos I'm just filling in my numbers, but the idea is there. We won't be raking in millions that's for sure, not when he's only here on loan.

Don't think the Donovan loan has anything to do with commercial appeal or generating a fan base in America. I think those are just added benefits. Moyes clearly saw Donovan for what he is: a good footballer.

Were abouts in the mid-west mate? I worked in Arkansas, Missouri and Nebraska last summer doing footy coaching. Arkansas can't get enough of team USA ;)
Really? That's funny to hear, only because Arkansas seems to be behind the rest of the country. But good to hear though as that's American Football country - soccer is hardest to penetrate those areas. Good for you!

As padefc said, another benefit is that you just gained 10+ new members in the last 2-3 weeks just because of the Donovan loan. I guarantee that you'll get more every week until the loan is over. If the loan turns into a buyout, I'd expect your fanbase to only grow that much more. Think Fulham Northwest, with regards to American fanbase. :D

I also think the MLS XI best game that Everton came to the states for really helped with positive exposure for your club; you picked up a lot of fans after that game. Americans were impressed because as lame as that game might seem to you guys, the Everton/MLS ALL-star game actually was the first time in something like a decade(?) that an EPL team beat the MLS' best. ;)

It works on all levels for us. We need quality players, he is 1 & was available due to the MLS season finishing when it does. If it helps us to spread our name in the US then that's obviously another big benefit but he was signed as a player 1st so any extra income coming from him being an Everton player will be a bonus. It could well lead to a load of Americans now having us as the English team they support, if a few thousand buy a shirt it's all good

How many American watch football? 1 out of 1000? How many of them are willing to spend money on Everton jersey? 1 out of 20 out of 1000? Of cos I'm just filling in my numbers, but the idea is there. We won't be raking in millions that's for sure, not when he's only here on loan.

Agreed. The first step is for the loan period to go well.

If the move becomes permanent, it could help but not sure how much.

David Beckham might be the most recognizable player in the MLS and outside the league's fans, I don't think there is much of a buzz.

If Donovan came to Everton, I definitely think they'd have to try and market it, rather than wait and see how much money they make if the USA's highest-profile player were at Goodison regularly.

Funny Story

I attempted to purchase LEEDS TV for one reason only.. That reason was to see Mike Grella.. I have also attempted to purchase Everton TV Cuz of Donovan.. My cardholder wont let me purchase from Euro Site for some reason..

Agreed. The first step is for the loan period to go well.

If the move becomes permanent, it could help but not sure how much.

David Beckham might be the most recognizable player in the MLS and outside the league's fans, I don't think there is much of a buzz.

If Donovan came to Everton, I definitely think they'd have to try and market it, rather than wait and see how much money they make if the USA's highest-profile player were at Goodison regularly.

He signed a long-term contract with them just before he came, they got stung by Beckham, they probably insisted he do it before they even discussed him leaving on loan

I attempted to purchase LEEDS TV for one reason only.. That reason was to see Mike Grella.. I have also attempted to purchase Everton TV Cuz of Donovan.. My cardholder wont let me purchase from Euro Site for some reason..

it might not be your card holder I had a Hell of a time trying to get, I kept getting error messages telling me I need to fill in a blank when I all ready did. I got it to go through once I repeated some of the info, good to see somebody else from Ohio on here.

He signed a long-term contract with them just before he came, they got stung by Beckham, they probably insisted he do it before they even discussed him leaving on loan

Donovan's contract was up this year and MLS had an option to extend his contract at 900,000.00 for two years now he is at 2.2 Million. He also stated he gets a say on where he can be loaned to. The new contract has a buyout clause in it. I am not sure but I thought when McBride was transfered did he not just sign a new contract with MLS, I know there are other cases of guys signing new contracts then getting transfered.

Donovan has already done a TON to raise the awareness of Everton over here. He is FAR more recognizable than Howard (as a celebrity, not a footballer, but that's what most american's care about).

While I think 90% of the move was simply Moyes seeing a need and finding a clever way to fill it with a solid player, the additional 10% of increased exposure over here will only do Everton good.

For those of you thinking ESPN doesn't really care, just wait. They bought up Setanta's contract and are now showing EPL games (in HD). This is the run up to the world cup. EPSN is going to do EVERYTHING in it's power to play up soccer and Donovan and even the EPL over the remainder of the season... it is in their own best interest. Donovan's first Goal in blue will be all over sportcenter. Had Everton won the arsenal game, the headline would have been about LD.

As long as donovan gets solid play (Arsenal game was a GREAT start) this will only be good for Everton's exposure over here. While we may not buy a ton of shirts at the moment, it takes time for people to jump on a bandwagon. Everton need to finish in the top half again though. American's don't want to support a below average club.

fulham(erica) have a nice sized American base due to the various Americans that have been on their club past and present. That came with very little extra exposure from places like ESPN.

I remember seeing a special on Tim Howard on ESPN about a year ago. It will be interesting how many more people visit Everton forums from any exposure. I know that at least 2 of the matches during Landon's stay will be the early Saturday morning match seen on ESPN.

fulham(erica) have a nice sized American base due to the various Americans that have been on their club past and present. That came with very little extra exposure from places like ESPN.

I remember seeing a special on Tim Howard on ESPN about a year ago. It will be interesting how many more people visit Everton forums from any exposure. I know that at least 2 of the matches during Landon's stay will be the early Saturday morning match seen on ESPN.

I thought that Tim did 60 min last year too. I think it also helps that ESPN and ABC have the world cup this year. I have already seen some commercials for it.

I also wanted to add that it does seem that Everton website is pushing Donovan, I just read the interview with Renya, I am just wondering if some of you guys remember his playing for city. I know the US fans remember where he has played and followed his career.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. There's buzz going around that Landon only signed that new lucrative contract because there's a buyout clause. Basically it is a win-win for him because if he doesn't impress at Everton, he goes back to LA with a nice deal, or if he does play well he gets to fulfill his dream of playing in one of the biggest league.

What will not happen is what happened with Beckham. If Donovan is bought, it will be before MLS starts up again in March. This will allow Los Angeles to replace him with some other players. The Beckham fiasco went down because Beckham insisted on extending the loan throughout the MLS season while Milan had no intention of offering a reasonable price for him, so LA went the first half of their season without their highest paid player. It's not necessarily losing Donovan that MLS/LA want to avoid, it's the situation of him missing a large part of the year and leaving a gigantic hole in LA's salary cap. Donovan has said that he wouldn't do this to Los Angeles, and didn't push for an extension last year at Munich even when that would have meant more playing time for him.

So yeah, I think you guys have a decent shot at signing him if he performs well.

Donovan has already done a TON to raise the awareness of Everton over here. He is FAR more recognizable than Howard (as a celebrity, not a footballer, but that's what most american's care about).

While I think 90% of the move was simply Moyes seeing a need and finding a clever way to fill it with a solid player, the additional 10% of increased exposure over here will only do Everton good.

For those of you thinking ESPN doesn't really care, just wait. They bought up Setanta's contract and are now showing EPL games (in HD). This is the run up to the world cup. EPSN is going to do EVERYTHING in it's power to play up soccer and Donovan and even the EPL over the remainder of the season... it is in their own best interest. Donovan's first Goal in blue will be all over sportcenter. Had Everton won the arsenal game, the headline would have been about LD.

As long as donovan gets solid play (Arsenal game was a GREAT start) this will only be good for Everton's exposure over here. While we may not buy a ton of shirts at the moment, it takes time for people to jump on a bandwagon. Everton need to finish in the top half again though. American's don't want to support a below average club.

Well if they done a tiny bit of research they would soon realise everton are not a below average club:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.