2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

He’s missed some decent even some good chances but let’s not kid ourselves - no forward in the world is scoring more than ten goals a season in this team. The service is so bad, he’s totally outnumbered and gets one or two chances a game. A huge part of this is the manager’s tactics.

When we had Siggi, Schnederlin, Gomes etc walking around in midfield - everyone would go on about how terrible our defence was - I always thought I’d have hated to play centre back in that team, no protection from midfield and exposed over and over again.

We’ve got the opposite now, a team that it would be easy to play in as a centre back, fullbacks who play right next to you and barely get over the half way line, team sitting in own half no space behind, and midfielders who screen the defence. Flip side, this would be a horrible team /style to play in as a centre forward, it’s a graveyard shift. I’m not blaming Dom for that, no forward is scoring loads in this team.

….and still the best we’ve got, despite spending circa £50m on other options.

That's your opinion, I'm reluctant to say he's better then people who haven't seen given a run in the team.

If beto had played the last 20 games like dcl had done, he'd have scored a couple of goals.

I rate my strikers on scoring/creating goals, not defender corners

The both headers he went for he had two men on him & they were not three yards out at eight my hero big Joe or the Latch may have scored them - but they were given to a no 9 who is not in goalscoring form - they would have been great goals two men on him ...

It’s not just the palace game .. to get the right to play in a decent team with decent service , you have to show that you are worth signing.. he hasn’t , because he isn’t very good

Joey you’re literally advocating we play caveman football in order to get the best out of DCL.
Not when he was up there on his own - with 20 yards away from the nearest team player ... - the guy was having to play in midfield to get any link up - he should be scoring , but he is not - in that team only set pieces do we look like scoring ....

Yeh he does contribute in other areas, but his aim objective is to finish his chances, which he isn't doing. I think as someone else has mentioned, maybe move him up the pitch, tell him to linger in and around the oppositions box and concentrate on taking this chances, or give someone else a decent go at it. Genuinely can't be any worse than it is now
I agree, but others have to get in the box too....

Not when he was up there on his own - with 20 yards away from the nearest team player ... - the guy was having to play in midfield to get any link up - he should be scoring , but he is not - in that team only set pieces do we look like scoring ....

Joey you are advocating that we go “big man little man” up front and boot the ball up for Dom to flick on to the little guy, that is a tactic from the 1990s. That’s how England played in 2001 with Heskey and Owen up front. If that’s all Dom is any use for then maybe he isn’t very good and we should move on from him.

Joey you are advocating that we go “big man little man” up front and boot the ball up for Dom to flick on to the little guy, that is a tactic from the 1990s. That’s how England played in 2001 with Heskey and Owen up front. If that’s all Dom is any use for then maybe he isn’t very good and we should move on from him.
I feel he will leave us anyway 18 months left & club in turmoil with point deductions ... \maupay who is crap could not score for us yet has scored at Bretford in a 442 set up - not hoof ball either ...

If you started most average premier league strikers for 20 games in a row and told them not to score. I reckon most of them would end up accidentally scoring at some point.

This goal drought is quite impressive in a way. It’s probably actually harder to go that length of time without scoring than not.

Especially when you’re actually getting very good chances in most of those games.

If you started most average premier league strikers for 20 games in a row and told them not to score. I reckon most of them would end up accidentally scoring at some point.

This goal drought is quite impressive in a way. It’s probably actually harder to go that length of time without scoring than not.

The drought should have been broken with the disallowed goal in the Spurs away game and the one given to Harrison the other week.

The guy is having his worst season, sure, but the drought stat is a bit unfair.