2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know how good he can be.. whatever his troubles have been I never felt he was 100pc right.

All too often players are expected to play when far from well enough to do so.. for these reason alone he already had a pass from me..

Remember all we ever expect is 100pc effort for the shirt.

And let's hope he does completely overcome his problems. Because we love him and what he can do in a Blue Shirt.

I'm utterly ashamed that his struggles with the Black dog didn't even cross my mind. As a man ( like a few of you I've witnessed while the reading beautiful but heartbreaking depression thread) who has suffered with these kinds of struggles, I should of at least let it cross my mind instead of blaming his performances on lack of fitness and physical struggles. I know all about the big smile shield.
All the best Dom, wherever your future takes you.

We live in a world where the majority of people no longer consider mental health issues a stigma.

And if any clubs are put off by it, then its a damn good job they arent interested.
I agree with you morally of course but I think this isn’t about what people think, this is about business and commercially football is unique in that this is not simply a person being employed and paid to do a job, it’s an asset purchase for millions of pounds, with more potential millions at resale and as such I imagine they will be assessing every element of fitness, physical and mental.

I’m sure many clubs would happily sign DCL regardless but actually my point was more to what his advisors would suggest regards media activity, if he was seriously looking to move.

Of course I could be wrong and he may feel a change of scenery is the answer.

Fair play to Dom for highlighting his struggles and hopefully it helps anyone else, young or old, to get the help and support they need if affected by mental health issues.

I too feel ashamed of some of my thoughts and comments about DCL, and also Michael Keane, over the past season, in regards to them missing games or not having the mental fortitude to be Everton players.

It is too easy to forget they are people, just men, like all the rest of us, made of flesh and blood with a brain that is just the same as ours, and susceptible to the same problems as any human being is - it doesn’t matter what they do for a living.

I know adverse mental health can strike anyone - it doesn’t discriminate if your rich, poor, old, young, same as any other illness, but because they are footballers I disregarded it - “what have they gotta worry about? They are minted!” Etc etc.

I was wrong to think this way and I hopefully can change my attitude.

Come back stronger than ever dom, and if you join another club this summer (I hope not), all the best for the future.

Fair play to Dom for highlighting his struggles and hopefully it helps anyone else, young or old, to get the help and support they need if affected by mental health issues.

I too feel ashamed of some of my thoughts and comments about DCL, and also Michael Keane, over the past season, in regards to them missing games or not having the mental fortitude to be Everton players.

It is too easy to forget they are people, just men, like all the rest of us, made of flesh and blood with a brain that is just the same as ours, and susceptible to the same problems as any human being is - it doesn’t matter what they do for a living.

I know adverse mental health can strike anyone - it doesn’t discriminate if your rich, poor, old, young, same as any other illness, but because they are footballers I disregarded it - “what have they gotta worry about? They are minted!” Etc etc.

I was wrong to think this way and I hopefully can change my attitude.

Come back stronger than ever dom, and if you join another club this summer (I hope not), all the best for the future.
I think we often overlook the mental aspect of injury.

Take Gomes for example, it takes some doing to get back on a football pitch when your ankle was facing the wrong way, im not using it as an excuse, I just feel we overlook it.

Dom also, he was flying, off the back of his best ever season, hits the ground running and then next minute hes having convos with Doctors and they're saying words like long-lasting damage and things. Then he tries to put himself out there, get himself exposure and money yes and hes got people accusing him of not caring.

As I said at the Brentford game somebody stood about 10 foot from him and screamed for him to "koff to Arsenal" and he heard him, he was looking right at him. Its the reason im trying to be a better me, im not saying im not gonna be bantering around, but im honestly making more of an effort to, well, not be so much of an arsehole to other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.