2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking good Dom
Some of the prices of that stuff, you know you lost sense of reality when you advertising slippers at £595 ?

Let's have it right and call this one without any emotion, just on his contribution to the club in all the time he's been here: he's a 5/10 player. And that's being kind.

If we stayed up now it'd be despite him.

I see every other player out there putting the effort in apart from him.

If I was manager he wouldn't play for Everton again.
Problem with this lot is not “every other player is putting the effort in”! If they were all putting the effort in we wouldn’t be where we are! As it is most of this shower are just sleep walking their way to the championship, and the really sad thing is with a few exceptions I don’t think the majority care!

Is it a myth? I've seen players down tools for several teams. Then the manager is sacked and suddenly, they're back to playing and winning.

Can you honestly say that all those players are leaving everything on the pitch? That they're doing absolutely everything to win? Because I'm watching something very different. Backing out of tackles, not chasing things down. I've watched teams walk through us. They're a disgrace.

You can see the frustration and anger on certain players faces. The ones who are giving their all, only to be let down by their team mate walking around.
They all want to win, it’s what they do. None of them
Are strolling around, and in the days they perform badly it’s down to the situation as a whole not on them downing tools

It's not a myth. Some players want to win more than others. Our opponents want to win more than us nearly every week.

Mentality is enormous in top level sport. It's what seperates the good from the average and the great from the good. Calling it a myth is daft.
Mentality yes, not downing tools though
Lack of leadership is a major factor

Replied to someone else who said this saying he's almost certainly following instruction from the manager.

Before Ancelotti he'd be all over. Ancelotti told him to stay in the middle and I suspect Lampard is doing likewise. The issue though is fitness, confidence and the 3 top providers/chance creators in Digne, Rodriguez and Sigurdsson no longer play.

Calvert-Lewin needs chances creating more than most, but who is creating them?
I'd be incredibly doubtful he'd be willing to ever put those hard yards in again. When he first came through he was a young striker who had absolutely nothing going for him except work rate and he was desperate to 'make it'. He was given so many games to prove himself that his extremely poor goal scoring record otherwise would never warrant but he kept getting himself in the team through his commitment. When competition in the form of Moise Kean was belatedly brought in, to DcL's credit he left it in no doubt that he was the superior option (which owes much to Kean's own shortcomings too) and his goal scoring record improved. Ancelotti then takes his game to another level by confining his game to the opponent's box, and albeit in patches, his goalscoring record markedly improved. During that time, he's become an England international, is linked away with big money moves repeatedly and seems to be making a name for himself as somewhat of a celebrity away from football too.

When you've put the hard yards in over several seasons, beaten off competition from a big money signing brought in to replace you, achieved a level of goalscoring under an iconic manager playing a certain type of way and seen your authority, status and ego naturally grow there's bound to be a reluctance on his part to go back to the way he used to be.

I don't think Lampard is asking him to play the way he is currently, dragging DcL off when Gray and Iwobi were more likely candidates was particularly telling (and fitness is certainly no excuse for him anymore). I think Calvert-Lewin sees himself now as a bona-fide star who doesn't need to do the extra graft and there's a bit of a clash of wills at the moment.

Our biggest problem with him though isn't just that he needs chances creating for him, it's that he needs absolute gift-wrapped, on a plate home bankers that makes it almost impossible for his miserable technique to fluff and we're just not a team that is capable of doing that right now.

Problem with this lot is not “every other player is putting the effort in”! If they were all putting the effort in we wouldn’t be where we are! As it is most of this shower are just sleep walking their way to the championship, and the really sad thing is with a few exceptions I don’t think the majority care!
Since Lampard came in most of the games played have been played by the team giving everything. They just aren't good players.

I wouldn't start him versus Burnley play a fluid front three it would give them more issues than playing directly. I'd honestly bring him off the bench and tell him he has to perform if he wants to start. Fella has been injured or doing nothing all season while we plummet if he wants his big move earn it

Status
Not open for further replies.