2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bid if any was always going to be late in the day once the ffp deadline had passed. Spurs got the bargain before the deadline, anyone else who fancied a bargain would leave it late. Now I can't see Newcastle bidding for DCL.

Newcastle didn’t bid for DCL when he wasn’t injured. They don’t want him.

But we did want a forward mate, we have been trying.

We've switched tact a bit because we were getting nowhere it seems, so instead of focusing all the funds straight away on a forward (i.e. £20m up front for MGW, trying to match Chelsea's valuation on Broja, paying Burnley what they want up front for Cornet or throwing a big downpayment at Watford for Dennis), we've gone lets get the rest of the team in order first, which at least in the last 2 weeks we have done. Boosted the defensive options and added balance, especially if we're gonna play 343, and brought in a wide player who is left-footed, again adding balance. We are also very close to bringing in a midfielder, one of two that Lampard wants.

We didn't need a striker for Chelsea as of yesterday morning. We had one, who was fully fit and with a full pre-season under his belt. We'd addressed other needs in the squad and would probably have been looking at the last 3-2 weeks of the window to see what deals cropped up, because that's when they do crop up. Broja might be made available for loan, Watford might drop their asking price for Dennis, someone from the continent might become available, whatever.

It's not ideal, and now what's happened makes it even worse. But it's where we are this summer, we're in a proper crap position all of our own making in previous seasons.
We definitely have needed a striker since the day Richarlison was sold, so I dont agree on that.

The squad currently has zero goals and that gets you relegated when you are starting from a base of under 40 points. How are we going to win matches with this front line? Rondon or Alli as a false 9? It wouldn't make the championship playoffs nevermind stay up in the top flight.

No mate they weren’t going to bid anyway, why on earth do our fans just keep inventing interest in him.
Newcastle were interested, it's not an invention. They put the feelers out through agencies, that's it. Nothing more. No bid, but he was asked about. Isac from Real Sociedad was their top one after Etekite, but Sociedad saw Saudi cash coming and asked for a ton, fairly so too.

But there's no way this is a 'smokescreen' like some people are suggesting. Loads of clubs do what Newcastle did, was no guarantee they were ever going to come back in for him. Personally, I think they might have done if they'd not got a striker in by the end of August. But that's a guess, albeit a slightly educated one.

Some guy on Toffeeweb called Tony Abrahams posted one of his contacts informed him. A bit later on in the thread somebody else posted "Tony's contacts are normally reliable" But who knows?

Recent experience says when something like this breaks on twitter it normally has legs. Lets hope not in this case. I mean, if it was only done today they normally leave it a couple of days to let the swelling go down before they do a scan. So calling it an ACL seems a bit premature at this stage.
They can do tests more or less straight away which gives a fair indication if it's done but can't be confirmed until the scan .
But id still take it with a large pinch of salt

Newcastle were interested, it's not an invention. They put the feelers out through agencies, that's it. Nothing more. No bid, but he was asked about. Isac from Real Sociedad was their top one after Etekite, but Sociedad saw Saudi cash coming and asked for a ton, fairly so too.

But there's no way this is a 'smokescreen' like some people are suggesting. Loads of clubs do what Newcastle did, was no guarantee they were ever going to come back in for him. Personally, I think they might have done if they'd not got a striker in by the end of August. But that's a guess, albeit a slightly educated one.

I think they pretty swiftly moved on when we told them we wanted more than £25m for him.

We definitely have needed a striker since the day Richarlison was sold, so I dont agree on that.

The squad currently has zero goals and that gets you relegated when you are starting from a base of under 40 points. How are we going to win matches with this front line? Rondon or Alli as a false 9? It wouldn't make the championship playoffs nevermind stay up in the top flight.
Tim, read what I put please.

We do need a striker, I know this. But as of yesterday morning, before Dom's injury, or even this afternoon until we knew about it as fans, did Everton NEED a striker to go into the starting XI for the Chelsea game on Saturday?

Would you have been perfectly happy, for Saturday's game, if we'd signed Gana and gone into it with our squad as is, but with Gana, and the plan to sign more attacking options as the window progressed?

Of course we need a striker generally, and have done all summer, which is why we've been after one all summer... and so far failed (which is pathetic, and the reasons are of our own making).

I think they pretty swiftly moved on when we told them we wanted more than £25m for him.
There was never contact between the clubs or even anything like that

Was just made clear they were interested via an agency, not even a valuation. Happens all the time.

You don't rate Dom I guess, which is fine. I think he's decent and a fully fit Dom is worth a lot of money, but unfortunately he hasn't been fully fit for nearly a year now, and that's very bad for us in more ways than one atm.

Tim, read what I put please.

We do need a striker, I know this. But as of yesterday morning, before Dom's injury, or even this afternoon until we knew about it as fans, did Everton NEED a striker to go into the starting XI for the Chelsea game on Saturday?

Of course we need a striker generally, and have done all summer, which is why we've been after one all summer... and so far failed (which is pathetic, and the reasons are of our own making).
If you are one injury away from this dire situation then the squad isn't fit for purpose and the DOF needs to fix it right now. Trying isn't good enough. This is about results.

Status
Not open for further replies.