2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carragher spot on around the three minute mark of just being a pure goalscorer being next to useless in the modern game. I've been banging that drum for years - all top teams have a striker that does more.

Goes to show why Dom was consistently being picked through dry spells last few years by multiple managers and youth internationals despite Nigel from GOT thinking he's Championship standard.

Goes to show why Dom was consistently being picked through dry spells last few years by multiple managers and youth internationals despite Nigel from GOT thinking he's Championship standard.

Indeed. And it's why Lukaku is in a farmer's league having won nothing in his career, instead of Barcelona/Real Madrid despite being an astonishingly good goalscorer, quite possibly the best in world football.

You can have a goalscorer score two goals a game every round of a cup tournament, yet if he doesn't turn up in the final or any given round, you're playing that game with 10 men.

It's a different approach to understanding football - loads still have the "Roy Of The Rovers" mentality, where if a striker scores he's "done his job". That hasn't been the case for nearly a decade now but that archaic mindset still persists.

I'd rather have a striker score 15 a season and be the DCL type of player, than score 25 a season and be a Lukaku type. Because the cohesion and consistency of the team, game after game, is much better - there's a glass ceiling on what you can do with just a goalscorer up front.

Indeed. And it's why Lukaku is in a farmer's league having won nothing in his career, instead of Barcelona/Real Madrid despite being an astonishingly good goalscorer, quite possibly the best in world football.

You can have a goalscorer score two goals a game every round of a cup tournament, yet if he doesn't turn up in the final or any given round, you're playing that game with 10 men.

It's a different approach to understanding football - loads still have the "Roy Of The Rovers" mentality, where if a striker scores he's "done his job". That hasn't been the case for nearly a decade now but that archaic mindset still persists.

I'd rather have a striker score 15 a season and be the DCL type of player, than score 25 a season and be a Lukaku type. Because the cohesion and consistency of the team, game after game, is much better - there's a glass ceiling on what you can do with just a goalscorer up front.
To say Serie A is Farmer's league is wide of the mark. The style is slower but the quality is very high. Not an easy place to score goals.

Just looking at his stats quickly I think he is on 48 goals for the club. 47 coming in the league and cups and 1 Europe. Would be good for him to reach 50 goals for the club at 23 good milestone.

I think he's on 49 goals currently. 37 league, 11 domestic cups, 1 in Europe.

Hopefully the half century comes up in a few hours time...

Everton in the eighties is a near perfect example of this. Win the league, sign lineker, don't win, sell him and win again

DCL currently has 37 league goals, 11 in the cup and 1 in Europe.

Personally think he'll probably fall short of 50 league goals this season (you never know though) but 20+ goals in all competitions is a great return for a striker younger than 25, especially when they weren't considered a prodigy from the beginning like Haaland, Lukaku, Rooney, Owen, etc.

He'd be on a hundred goals now if wed have kept Deulofeu. How many times did he use to run along the byline and cross right across the goal line but we had nobody there ! Dom would be snapping those up now !

Status
Not open for further replies.