2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont care if he poaches eggs as long as he gets service to score.....our front two in our team atm with a decent midfield would be going for the Golden Boot award....
I mean DCL has had more games without an impact than he has his. Do NOT take this as bashing of him, as he is still what, 22? His goal return this season is fantastic but it doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be improving other areas; if we are going to play counter attack then he needs to be able to play, with decision making and moving the ball quickty being a huge part of that.

right but if you look at that sheff Utd game. The times he gets the ball and just doesn’t move it quick or make the right decision... it’s been a pattern thisseason.
Based on the progress he has made this year alone under Dunc and then Carlo then you can reasonably expect that his game will continue to come on.

He’ll never be prolific but he can definitely make life easier for a prolific strike partner.

Similarly, if he slots another 15 next season, you’ll still hear from some how it’s a purple patch, and some of his goals were only tap-ins so they don’t count.

The funniest will be when and if DCL scores a similar amount but certain favourites at other clubs go back to their single figure scoring

It wasn't a free header. The defender was right there challenging.

Either way he was 2 yards out and won the header so he should have scored

He's done alrite in the middle part of this season but he's started and finished it awfully, he needs to be a lot more consistent for me if he continues to be out number 9

Since the restart he hasn't even done the basics well ( win flick ons, hold the ball up, chase defenders down ) he's just casually jogged around doing zilch

We constantly moan about not beating the big teams away from home. If we want to compete at the top and the champions league teams we need players who put the ball away when you get minimal chances. 15 league goals is great but we know, by watching the games, that DCL misses a lot of chances and most of his goals have been scrappy. If he was showing ability in one on ones, or striking the ball well, no one on here would be doubting his ability. His ability is doubted because of what we see with our eyes. His overall play lately has not been good and he’s not scoring. Why do the DCL fans not see that? If he is going to consistently score scrappy goals every season then we will all be happy. But how can people not understand that some people don’t see this as sustainable when he misses the chances that require a bit more?

We constantly moan about not beating the big teams away from home. If we want to compete at the top and the champions league teams we need players who put the ball away when you get minimal chances. 15 league goals is great but we know, by watching the games, that DCL misses a lot of chances and most of his goals have been scrappy. If he was showing ability in one on ones, or striking the ball well, no one on here would be doubting his ability. His ability is doubted because of what we see with our eyes. His overall play lately has not been good and he’s not scoring. Why do the DCL fans not see that? If he is going to consistently score scrappy goals every season then we will all be happy. But how can people not understand that some people don’t see this as sustainable when he misses the chances that require a bit more?

Spot on mate.

The only fans with an agenda are the ones who refuse to acknowledge the evidence right in front of them.

If he scores 15+ next season I'll concede whilst he isnt great he somehow scores us vital goals HOWEVER I highly doubt that will be the case when he has been awful for near 3 years at the club bar that 3 month purple patch.

I mean how can you say he's improved when he has gone 9 games without a goal? The whole team has been average since the restart but that hasnt stopped Richarlison getting 2-3 goals in those 8-9 games.

Spot on mate.

The only fans with an agenda are the ones who refuse to acknowledge the evidence right in front of them.

If he scores 15+ next season I'll concede whilst he isnt great he somehow scores us vital goals HOWEVER I highly doubt that will be the case when he has been awful for near 3 years at the club bar that 3 month purple patch.

I mean how can you say he's improved when he has gone 9 games without a goal? The whole team has been average since the restart but that hasnt stopped Richarlison getting 2-3 goals in those 8-9 games.
If he buries 15 goals again next season, I’ll hold my hands up and not even care how they go in. The best players though score the big goals. I remember a lukaku stat that Steve Walsh quoted about lukakus goals and our points in a season. I reckon richarlison has contributed massively to our points tally due to his goals. He seems to thrive in the big moments and timing of his goals. I’d like to see the points tally comparisons for DCL and richie

The eternal DCL discussion, which will never end. Let us first agree that DCL definitely has areas that he needs to improve. He needs to be smarter in his movements, improve his finishes, and get better ball control. That said, it is wise to have a slightly broader perspective. During the PL, there have only been 7 seasons where we have had a player who has scored more than 13 goals in one season. Now we have two players of 23 years as per. today has 13 goals. You can build on that.

Then we are a club that is in a transition phase. Ancelotti talks about evolution, and we do not have the means or the opportunity to do as Chelsea, Man City, etc. We must therefore prioritize getting players in positions that we know we have too little quality on both quantitative and qualitative parameters. I think most people agree that DCL is not the weakest point in our team.

If we strengthen the team, and DCL does not live up to the baseline that he has set, well then he is in danger of being replaced. But we must also keep in mind, getting a player who scores 20 goals during a season in the PL is not an easy task. There are not many players who can guarantee that, and those who might be able to do so are beyond our reach. We must also not forget that football is a team sport, where there is a complex interaction between the whole part.

Either way he was 2 yards out and won the header so he should have scored

He's done alrite in the middle part of this season but he's started and finished it awfully, he needs to be a lot more consistent for me if he continues to be out number 9

Since the restart he hasn't even done the basics well ( win flick ons, hold the ball up, chase defenders down ) he's just casually jogged around doing zilch

I agree he hasn't done well and there is no getting away from that (I posted recently in this thread saying that).

However, we have barely created as a team due to our midfield being incapable of operating with two central midfielders and us playing 4 4 2.

Fix that, create more, and Dom will score more.

He brings an awful lot to the team. Hopefully he keeps improving next season and will be more clinical.

We need Kean to improve and challenge his as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.