2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out our two strikers one hit the post the other scored - we won yet the usual posters are on here whinging as per ......
I was just happy we won with much improved performances- DCL build up play was very good tool........

If Richy had the header against the post they would be saying how unlucky he was . But DCL becomes the worst striker since Bernie Wright .

I've just referred to it above so no, but I'm definitely not going to point to a period where our striker scored almost no goals and try to make out he was excellent.

He was great during the 10-game spell. I'm never going to argue with 10 goals in 10, or whatever it was and I said it at the time. I don't care how many defenders he pushes into the stands or how many flick-ons he wins if he's not scoring though.

Well you didn't refer to it... you said he was terrible until Silva got sacked which ignores the great form he was in back end of last season.

I can see though you only appreciate a strikers performance when he scores goals so I'll bow out here as there's no fighting that kinda glue-sniffing objectivity.

Well you didn't refer to it... you said he was terrible until Silva got sacked which ignores the great form he was in back end of last season.

I can see though you only appreciate a strikers performance when he scores goals so I'll bow out here as there's no fighting that kinda glue-sniffing objectivity.

I absolutely did refer to it. I think you'd just have preferred me to say he was a "beast". I don't really think he was. Unless we're also calling every Shane Long in the league who puts themselves about without scoring goals a "beast". He did well for a while, but that was never going to be enough because your team mates can't carry your lack of goals all season. If he'd scored a few goals earlier in that season when they weren't making up for it we might not have finished in midtable.

It's funny how goals were the most important thing in the world while he was scoring them and everyone who'd ever criticised him needed to apologise because he'd become a world beater and now goals don't matter again - because he's stopped scoring. Great.

Hopefully he can score on Sunday to round the season off, it would be a shame for him to not score after the restart when he was in good form before. Nice pass in that one touch move around the edge of the box towards the end of the second half yesterday. I think we should be proud of how far he’s come tbh, he’s shown a lot of character after struggling for periods and the club have shown a lot of faith in him. Next season it’s all about consistency and goals though, with his improvement and experience he’s left the ‘kid’ tag behind and needs to deliver. It’s not nailed on but the exciting thing is that I actually think there’s a fairly good chance he will, who would have thought that a couple of years ago.

I feel there needs to be some context behind some of the reservation around DCL. How he has all of a sudden gone from zero to hero and those that wrote him off just are not patient with youth etc, can’t see the improvement and didn’t recognise his talent in spite of his low goal count ..

I have been guilty of thinking a kid is going to be big and them not making more often that I like to recall... I can hardly recall writing a Player off that all of a sudden becomes amazing. So wanting DCL to succeed is not even a discussion.

My main point is this: we came off Lukaku to giving DCL the reins. Lukaku’s last season for us was 16/17 - he scored 25 goals. He was 24 when he left us and had put away 69 EPL goals. So maybe we were spoilt with him but the bar had been set and in 17/18 DCL scored 4. The club didn’t solve the massive hole created by Lukaku’s departure so all eyes were on DCL to pick up the slack . This might have been unfair, but it is what it is.

DCL hasn’t come close yet, not even in his purple patch 19/20 season of the heights of Lukaku. So no it’s not yet worth the wait. And the club has lost Ground with 3 seasons of mediocrity across the park in this time. So has DCL proved he will kick us in to top 6 and top 4.. far from it.. Lukaku couldn’t even do that by himself.

anyway.. hope this gives some context to the doubt myself and maybe a few others have... anyine who knows my theories also knows I don’t truly believe in late bloomers.. so there is that bias from my side. On the other hand I just have not seen the quality in him yet... goals aside this season... so there is that too.. think that’s me on the topic...

I feel there needs to be some context behind some of the reservation around DCL. How he has all of a sudden gone from zero to hero and those that wrote him off just are not patient with youth etc, can’t see the improvement and didn’t recognise his talent in spite of his low goal count ..

I have been guilty of thinking a kid is going to be big and them not making more often that I like to recall... I can hardly recall writing a Player off that all of a sudden becomes amazing. So wanting DCL to succeed is not even a discussion.

My main point is this: we came off Lukaku to giving DCL the reins. Lukaku’s last season for us was 16/17 - he scored 25 goals. He was 24 when he left us and had put away 69 EPL goals. So maybe we were spoilt with him but the bar had been set and in 17/18 DCL scored 4. The club didn’t solve the massive hole created by Lukaku’s departure so all eyes were on DCL to pick up the slack . This might have been unfair, but it is what it is.

DCL hasn’t come close yet, not even in his purple patch 19/20 season of the heights of Lukaku. So no it’s not yet worth the wait. And the club has lost Ground with 3 seasons of mediocrity across the park in this time. So has DCL proved he will kick us in to top 6 and top 4.. far from it.. Lukaku couldn’t even do that by himself.

anyway.. hope this gives some context to the doubt myself and maybe a few others have... anyine who knows my theories also knows I don’t truly believe in late bloomers.. so there is that bias from my side. On the other hand I just have not seen the quality in him yet... goals aside this season... so there is that too.. think that’s me on the topic...

Lukakau was a lone striker.

Nobody else scored goals while he was here.

He scored 25 in his best season, DCL and Rico have 30.

I absolutely did refer to it. I think you'd just have preferred me to say he was a "beast". I don't really think he was. Unless we're also calling every Shane Long in the league who puts themselves about without scoring goals a "beast". He did well for a while, but that was never going to be enough because your team mates can't carry your lack of goals all season. If he'd scored a few goals earlier in that season when they weren't making up for it we might not have finished in midtable.

It's funny how goals were the most important thing in the world while he was scoring them and everyone who'd ever criticised him needed to apologise because he'd become a world beater and now goals don't matter again - because he's stopped scoring. Great.

We finished 3 pts off Europe that season and his effort obviously was enough otherwise we wouldn't have been winning games with him in the side...

Christ you're struggling here.

Lukakau was a lone striker.

Nobody else scored goals while he was here.

He scored 25 in his best season, DCL and Rico have 30.

You’re right.. Luka couldn’t do it by himself... and Richy can’t do it with DCL.

just one season of Rich and Luka together would have been beautiful!

We finished 3 pts off Europe that season and his effort obviously was enough otherwise we wouldn't have been winning games with him in the side...

Christ you're struggling here.

Thought you were bowing out?

I take it all back, he was and is a beast. 3 points adrift of 7th is great for us and 6 league goals is an excellent return that all Europe-chasing sides should be after.

That’s apart from the 15 times he has finished them in all competitions this season is it?
Chances he's had this season he should have about 25 goals that's the point and I'm not talking difficult chances he's just not good enough and I want to see us push forward which we won't with likes of him.

@Joey66 sorry I can’t find your OP, I saw you say in a quote that DCL’s build up play was good?

did you watch it? We play counter attacking football and he doesn’t know how to counter attack. He has improved many areas but his decision making on the ball and awareness of what’s around him hasn’t improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.