2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a good back up striker, which is down to how much he has improved this season. Unfortunately for us, due to having no real competition we have had to rely on him to play more games than he would should we sign a first choice forward.

His progress on the whole this season has been nothing short of remarkable, he deserves praise for that and there’s no saying he won’t continue to improve.
Him, Ricky and Holgate have really kicked on since Silva was sacked.

DCL still only 22, meanwhile...

We can put a photo up of Wayne Rooney up celebrating a goal when he’s 16, or Alan shearer banging them in at 22. Owen, Fowler Haaland also, we can go tit for tat all day but why don’t we just judge him on what we see with our eyes. The lads improved no doubt, and he’s scored some goals of late. But let’s not do what we do with every Everton player and wait and see over a couple of seasons if he can keep it up. Lucas digne was better than robertson according to some people on here called the best LB in Europe. Now he’s not even the best LB at Everton. Everyone wanted sidibe signed calling him a World Cup winner and what a delivery he has. Now he can’t deliver a pizza. DCL for me has not improved his overall finishing ability. He’s definitely in the box more and improved his poaching skills. His one on one skills are still dreadful and he never looks likely to score a goal from outside or even the edge of the box. Just been scoring scrambles really and headers. It’s hard to score 20 goals a season consistently without scoring all types of goals. I still don’t think he has a natural strikers instinct but hope I’m wrong.

DCL has had a fantastic progression this season. He has always been a handful for defenders, but now he also starts scoring regularly. It is not necessarily nice goals, but Gerd Muller was also not known for beautiful goals. Goals are goals - they count just as much.

He must of course continue to develop, including his movement pattern and finishing skills. He must also perform over a longer period of time. However, there is no doubt that the raw material is there.

When it comes to finishing skills, Kevin Phillips said they have worked hard with Vardy's finishing skills. It is a skill that can be developed. You do not stop developing as a footballer at the age of 22.

DCL is the least problem for Everton, and I think we should enjoy his development. Nor is it possible for us to replace him with Lewandowski, or anyone with his goal ratio.

We could perhaps replace him with (players) like Danny Ings, but it is very meaningless. He has scored two goals more than DCL, is 27, and has had one lucky season in the PL. Then we just continue the transfer strategy that has put us in the current unfortunate situation

Got to have the mentality to score that chance at the weekend. All well and good slotting in the easy games that don’t matter as much. No way that if we give that chance up against any of the top 6 at Goodison that they’d miss it.

Got to have the mentality to score that chance at the weekend. All well and good slotting in the easy games that don’t matter as much. No way that if we give that chance up against any of the top 6 at Goodison that they’d miss it.

You're right he really needs to be scoring away against the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal.

You have to watch more football games.

DCL has 2 goals against Chelsea, 1 against Man. City, 1 against Man. Utd, 1 against Arsenal.

Hes fast, strong and dedicated. That will get you so far and he’s proving that. He’s improving some parts of his game. But that finesse, class and ability to elevate your performance when it matters most I don’t think you can teach. I’m not saying he’s peaked but he’s nowhere near Richarlison for me. Richie can have bad games but he oozes quality and when he’s one on one, you’re confident he’s finding the net. He scores really good goals. DCL is definitely useful and can play a part. But he’s no Vardy, Drogba or whoever else he’s been compared to on this thread.

We can put a photo up of Wayne Rooney up celebrating a goal when he’s 16, or Alan shearer banging them in at 22. Owen, Fowler Haaland also, we can go tit for tat all day but why don’t we just judge him on what we see with our eyes. The lads improved no doubt, and he’s scored some goals of late. But let’s not do what we do with every Everton player and wait and see over a couple of seasons if he can keep it up. Lucas digne was better than robertson according to some people on here called the best LB in Europe. Now he’s not even the best LB at Everton. Everyone wanted sidibe signed calling him a World Cup winner and what a delivery he has. Now he can’t deliver a pizza. DCL for me has not improved his overall finishing ability. He’s definitely in the box more and improved his poaching skills. His one on one skills are still dreadful and he never looks likely to score a goal from outside or even the edge of the box. Just been scoring scrambles really and headers. It’s hard to score 20 goals a season consistently without scoring all types of goals. I still don’t think he has a natural strikers instinct but hope I’m wrong.

I would agree pretty much.

His knack for getting in the right places has improved hugely, which is great. However he doesn't have the conviction to take the tricky chances like a Vardy would. Vardy does nothing fancy, works his arse off, makes good runs and ultimately can finish. He's one of the best at it. DCL still has plenty far to go if he's be consistent banging in, they wont all drop easy for you like they had been in a hot spell. Needs to start burying the 1v1s. Missed sitters at Arsenal, United and Chelsea now. He's not the reason we didnt get a win against United or a goal at Chelsea, but there will be games when that chance needs to go in to win it.

Not scored for a game and the knives are out. You lot don't deserve this wonderkid. Wait till he is slotting 25 a year for City and the same people will be slating Everton for a lack of ambition.

We can put a photo up of Wayne Rooney up celebrating a goal when he’s 16, or Alan shearer banging them in at 22. Owen, Fowler Haaland also, we can go tit for tat all day but why don’t we just judge him on what we see with our eyes.

I think you miss the point. Players who banged them in at the age of 16 don't prove that players can't improve when they are older, while players can Vardy do prove that you can be a late bloomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.