Dominic Calvert Lewin for Beto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is way OTT I thought it was a standard substitution I’ve probably seen us make worse this season nevermind ever.
In all fairness Jimmy I don't think it's OTT at all. Why swap a striker who had no service all game for another striker to face the same fate, when the first subs in anyones game plan should have been to address the lack of service? He eventually did make some decent changes when the game was lost. At 0-0 Beto was the least of our issues.

In all fairness Jimmy I don't think it's OTT at all. Why swap a striker who had no service all game for another striker to face the same fate, when the first subs in anyones game plan should have been to address the lack of service? He eventually did make some decent changes when the game was lost. At 0-0 Beto was the least of our issues.
If that’s seriously the most manic substitution you’ve ever seen you can’t have watched many games I mean I’ve seen some absolutely unbelievable ones like Martinez bringing on niasse to go 2 up front when 2-0 up and down to ten men (we lost 3-2) and moyes bringing on Distin for Saha at the emirates and having to put him up front. I’ve seen dozens of substitutions booed by the Goodison crowd for not making sense whereas I didn’t really hear a murmur about the one yesterday because there was nothing weird about it. I agree that we could have changed other things as well or instead I’m just saying it’s OTT to act like it was crazy because it wasn’t really it was the sort of sub that happens in every game.

If that’s seriously the most manic substitution you’ve ever seen you can’t have watched many games I mean I’ve seen some absolutely unbelievable ones like Martinez bringing on niasse to go 2 up front when 2-0 up and down to ten men (we lost 3-2) and moyes bringing on Distin for Saha at the emirates and having to put him up front. I’ve seen dozens of substitutions booed by the Goodison crowd for not making sense whereas I didn’t really hear a murmur about the one yesterday because there was nothing weird about it. I agree that we could have changed other things as well or instead I’m just saying it’s OTT to act like it was crazy because it wasn’t really it was the sort of sub that happens in every game.
Well up there with the most pointless substitutions I've seen. If he had made other changes at the same time as you mention then yes, I'd have to give him credit for at least trying something different. If we'd have made a few chances and Beto wasn't making the most of them then again I'd understand it.

I certainly don't think Beto is the second coming, far too early to call. We really could have had anyone up top with that set up. Only change in our tempo i clocked was when Garner made a late appearance. A wasted early substitution in my book. Garner coming on at that point for any of Onana, Gana or even Doucoure would have made a bigger impact.
When he did not start Garner our intentions were clear. Try to get a point at home by playing pub team tactics.

Yes, the ones we have in midfield = crap - thats why long balls to Beto & DCL should have been our aim to begin with ... we were never going to out play Arsenals midfield & his choice of fullbacks was astonishing too ... - hes lost the plot imo ..... First corner for us 71 minutes after going a goal down - our Manager was playing for a 0-0 from kick off - not acceptable imo ....
Long balls to Beto isn't a good idea. We did it a few times in this game and he barely challenged it.

That's why DCL can win balls in the air to flick them on go Beto...

We would have lost 5-0. Beto and DCL aren't the type you want to start together when you are set up defensively and playing Arsenal. I don't think the problem was that we didn't play both, it's that we didn't utilise either of them to their strengths.

We would have lost 5-0. Beto and DCL aren't the type you want to start together when you are set up defensively and playing Arsenal. I don't think the problem was that we didn't play both, it's that we didn't utilise either of them to their strengths.
I would rather attacked then defend for a 0-0 draw it was pathetic our first corner in the 71st minute - indefensible for our manager we ended up 442 - far too late with the wrong duo upfront...

That performance yesterday unacceptable 3 home games yet to score a goal?

Any defeat 1 or 5 nil = nil points !

I would rather attacked then defend for a 0-0 draw it was pathetic our first corner in the 71st minute - indefensible for our manager we ended up 442 - far too late with the wrong duo upfront...

That performance yesterday unacceptable 3 home games yet to score a goal?

Any defeat 1 or 5 nil = nil points !
I don't want to defend for a 0-0 either but we showed last season that we could have won this game with that formation we started with if we showed more intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.