Do you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamo Martinez

Player Valuation: £70m
Looked up a detail earlier for a post on the debut thread and got caught up on a stats/results site (the way you do). Saw something curious which I had absolutely no recollection or knowledge of. At the end of the 70-71 season, to round off a crap season in crap fashion, we played Stoke in a 3rd/4th place playoff match for the losing FA cup semifinalists. Lost 3-2 (Whittle and Ball).
I'm sure a few will remember this. A few others may have succeeded in forgetting it and will now hate me for reminding them

Any other curiosities you recall from yesteryear? Could be anything.

lol

6936547535_f9f99fea97_n.jpg

I seem to remember a tournament possibly in late eighties that I think involved teams who hadn't got into Europe from first division and teams from second division but not all of them. Games were two legs. There was one when we'd beaten a team below us away by a few and second leg was attended by about three thousand of the true hardcore. Think we drew.
I was with my uncle. That bit is a definite.
Is that the kind of vivid and poignant memories you want?

I seem to remember a tournament possibly in late eighties that I think involved teams who hadn't got into Europe from first division and teams from second division but not all of them. Games were two legs. There was one when we'd beaten a team below us away by a few and second leg was attended by about three thousand of the true hardcore. Think we drew.

That was organised because of the murders in Heysel and the consequent ban.
Edit : Known as the Full Members' Cup, Simod Cup, Zenith Data Systems Cup. All a waste of time.

Last edited:
That was organised because of the murders in Heysel and the consequent ban.
That makes sense. I only remember that one game because of a crowd of family and friends who went only two of us turned up to that one. Obviously it was doing a good job replacing the glamour of Europe

The Screen-Sport Super cup, we lost the 2-legged final to Liverpool, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.