Do we play dour football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Player Valuation: £35m
Just reading a few other forums from other teams a few posts seem to come up, but I will quote one:

I my opinion Everton are placed far higher than they deserve. Their football all season has been dull, dour and negative. Most of their goals have come from nowhere against the run of play and so often in the last couple of minutes. I certainly would not be happy if we had a manager who was dishing out that type of dross. I hope their bubble bursts and we catch them up.

I would rather play dour then play like WBA and still get relegated.

Bolton 3-0 at home, Villa in the cup 3-1, Sunderland 3-0 and Hull 2-0. Truely dour and boring stuff in all those games! Whoever wrote that is a bell and is probably wannabe kopite. Also it just so happens that the last 2 games were we haven't been at our best have been on sky tv were more people have seen us

That's unfair imo. Our football since Arteta switched to CM has been very good, now we need to make sure we continue playing well without him. Sure, sometimes we grind results out, but we do play nice passing football at times as well.

At the end of the day football is purely a results business, and like you say, you can play pretty football and get relegated. As long as we're winning, I'm happy and don't care what other people think of our football ;) I think when people say stuff like that it's often jealousy. What teams in the league, bar maybe the 'big 4' wouldn't take Moyes in an instant if they were looking for a manager and god forbid he was available?????

Was that from the WBA forum? Our bubbles been there for about 5-6 seasons.

Our football this season has been very good, Toxtethblue will even say its probably the best we've played under Moyes ever since Arteta dropped into the middle.

I dont think we're a hoof team anymore and at times we pass it around far too much (especially around the opposition box when you're just crying out for someone just to shoot).

Everyone apart from Yobo and Neville tend to chose the hoof and spoil things a little but players like Rodwell, Gosling, Baines, Pienaar, Osman, Fellaini Saha etc all suit and play the ball on the deck. Even Hibbert choses to do it more nowdays, as does Castillo when he makes an appearance (which is his downfall, he should just hoof instead of giving the ball away all the effing time).

The performance against Albion wasnt the best, but it was never going to be after trying to filled a whole left by your injured creative playmaker.

As Hansen always says - get the basics right.

Albion always remind me of those blokes you see with the fancy skills at keepy-ups. They look flashy and have skill, but put him in a team 11 V 11 and he'll probably be **** for all his flash because he doesnt know he basics. Sort you defence out, get a goalscorer then maybe you'd be in the premiership next season boyo's.

On the whole we have been quite dour under Moyes over the past seven years or so, we've had spells of good football but even longer spells of long ball, percentage ****e.

Last season we played some good football without ever controlling games, Osman keeping things ticking in the middle and Arteta and Pienaar causing havoc on the wings.

This season we've started to really control things and we are brushing lesser sides aside with ease, in the past games like Hull and Sunderland would've been tough for us. Now with Mikel in the middle we just stroll it, get our goals and see the game out by keeping the ball.

It's taken time but I do think Moyes is learning, moving Arteta centrally and playing an attacking fullback like Baines is a step in the right direction.

That'll be from a Happy Hammer desperate to make up the eight point gap on their betters..

The silky skills of Lucas Neil, Danny Gabbidon and Dean Ashton anyone? That lot have an over-inflated opinion of themselves: patronised by the rest of the country for 'playing the right way' - translation = uncompetitive lightweights.

It is always great to see your team playing fantastic football but it is results that count at the end of the day. If we won ugly every game, you would'nt hear me complaining.

We did that in 2004 steevie when we finished fourth and it was horrible having to go through 90 mins of utter dross every week.
Yes we finished fourth but it was really hard work watching it!

I am quite happy with how we have played for the majority of games this season but i still think our movement off the ball could be alot better, we always look rushed in possession.

To be fair, we tried to play flowing football with a bunch of less technical gifted players. That's what I see. I think the cause of it is due to the fact that we do not have enough good players who can bring the best and compliment the way we play. Build up and possesion gets lost due to the lack of precise passing, technical abilities and killer passes, hence resulting in lost of possesion which lead to scrappiness.

If only we can afford the luxury of cash.......

We did that in 2004 steevie when we finished fourth and it was horrible having to go through 90 mins of utter dross every week.

I am quite happy with how we have played for the majority of games this season but i still think our movement off the ball could be alot better, we always look rushed in possession.

You must have been watching a different Everton to me. The first half of the season we played some outstanding football. I do admit that from January onwards, we struggled badly to retain that early rhythm but managed to hold fourth position thanks to teams below us slipping up.

Mostly i dont care how we play, i just want a win, it would be lovely to win with style, but we have a team of battlers and they battle. Get over it the rest of the Prem.

That's unfair imo. Our football since Arteta switched to CM has been very good, now we need to make sure we continue playing well without him. Sure, sometimes we grind results out, but we do play nice passing football at times as well.

At the end of the day football is purely a results business, and like you say, you can play pretty football and get relegated. As long as we're winning, I'm happy and don't care what other people think of our football ;) I think when people say stuff like that it's often jealousy. What teams in the league, bar maybe the 'big 4' wouldn't take Moyes in an instant if they were looking for a manager and god forbid he was available?????
i`d go with that

Generally we do play slightly boring football let be honest :oops:

However at times we have played good football, ie V Villa where we played good football on the deck, hopefully with the likes of Rodwell in the CM position we will use the ball more.

But over the years we have been known for boring football sadly (n)

I don't know how I made it through that season. Hanging onto one nil and watching shot after shot barely miss its mark; so many lucky results that year I was drained after every match.

Whoever wrote that doesn't watch that much football or isn't very smart. Even in the five man midfield we play attractive football

Status
Not open for further replies.