Do Everton fans contribute to Everton's inferiority complex?

Do Everton fans contribute to Everton's inferiority complex?

• Yes

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 51.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
As a fan base, are we overly negative, pessimistic and do we contribute to Everton's inferiority complex?

If we can't be confident as a fan base, perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to condemn players for lacking the same confidence?

If the club dont expect, or believe we can do well - does that make it harder for the players?

I’ve always seen it as a mix of us wanting us to be better, but knowing we’re a bit crap. I don’t think all the false dawns have helped either

I really don’t see how we contribute to the club being genuinely unable to win certain fixtures in certain scenarios some as simple as playing away from home.

I think the club themselves have cultivated this fan attitude by just becoming a monotonous entity. People go on about the atmosphere at Goodison but quite frankly when I’m sat there watching us struggle to string 5 passes together or pass the ball nineteen times across the back line when we’ve been one down to Burnley for sixty minutes, I’m not angry, I’m not hopeful I’m just bored. The bloke next to me is bored. The ballboy is bored. The Toffee Lady is bored. We’ve become the most predictable beige club in the league literally just existing to make up the numbers and the club are seemingly happy with that.

It’s not the fans at all, we are merely a product of the lack of entertainment and anything remotely interesting this club has become.

We all aspire to be the best club we can be but when we make deadline day decision for 30M+, it deflates a bunch of Evertonians to the point of going back to bed wetting

I believe that we don't win many games against sides better than us because they're, well, better than us. I believe that we usually expect to lose these games because, well, we usually do. I'm not sure there's much more to it than that to be honest.

The records are too stark and dramatic.

There's a reason why Carlo Ancelotti has already been talking about the requirement to change mentality.

As a fan base, are we overly negative, pessimistic and do we contribute to Everton's inferiority complex?

If we can't be confident as a fan base, perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to condemn players for lacking the same confidence?

If the club dont expect, or believe we can do well - does that make it harder for the players?
How many Liverpool embarrassments or Newcastle 2-2 type of games do we have to endure? People have a reason to behave like this because it's what we expect, when the team changes the fans views and behavior will change.

When we go 2-0 up and people go "Let's not Everton this up" it's because we've experienced it 37462378462378487237823 times and become accustomed because the players just throw a lead away like no other team, The team and club need to give me a reason to be confidence, I'll always want us to win and go in with hopes of smashing the other team to pieces but every game usually plays out the same.

Sure I seen a stat on the last game that said we haven’t come from behind, not sure wether it was at half time or all game, since 2015?

Certainly at Goodison I’ve seen the fans heads go after going behind in a game, the longer it goes on the restless everyone becomes, it just seems like the overall mentality for me.

How many Liverpool embarrassments or Newcastle 2-2 type of games do we have to endure? People have a reason to behave like this because it's what we expect, when the team changes the fans views and behavior will change.

When we go 2-0 up and people go "Let's not Everton this up" it's because we've experienced it 37462378462378487237823 times and become accustomed because the players just throw a lead away like no other team, The team and club need to give me a reason to be confidence, I'll always want us to win and go in with hopes of smashing the other team to pieces but every game usually plays out the same.

The club have appointed Carlo Ancelotti, he's had a very solid, promising start.

Interesting how quick he's picked up on the clubs mentality needing to improve.

Speaking to Sky Sports post-match, Ancelotti conceded that there must be a change in his side’s approach to those games.

“We have to change the mentality, this is absolutely normal,” he said.

“We want to do a step more, but you can not do that day-by-day.”

So day-by-day you can improve your quality, your confidence and spirit to reach the next step.”

Can the fan base help with that? Successive Everton managers have said Everton players have been afraid to play at Goodison Park.

Or does it make no difference when fans are so pessimistic?

Can fans influence the mentality and culture of football clubs? Giorgio Chiellini made reference to it with Spurs here.

Answers on a postcard.

The records are too stark and dramatic.

There's a reason why Carlo Ancelotti has already been talking about the requirement to change mentality.
The records are stark, but how do we explain mentalities lasting generations? It doesn't make any sense. I saw that when you mentioned it on twitter loads of people were saying 'it was moyes'. It's embarrassing. We hadn't won at Arsenal for 7 years before Moyes joined, we haven't won there for 7 years since he left. But it's his fault. We've won at Anfield half a dozen times since WWII but it's because of the manager we appointed in 2002. OK sure, that makes sense lads.

I totally agree that the stats are crazy, but ultimately we would have been second favourites for pretty much every single one of the individual games we're talking about. It's not like we're choking under expectation, we're just never doing better than we're expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.