Derek Mountfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recall getting his autograph, would have been 13 at the time. Was playing for Aston Villa.The were over in Dublin for pre season. Told him I was an Everton fan and ending have a chat with him. Sound bloke. A sin he never got a cap for England.

They say you never know what you have until,it's gone! I think that very much applied to Mountfield, we all loved him, but like Bracewell, he never really got the National credit he deserved! People remember Ratcliffe and Reid, few non-Evertonians really remember Degsy or Bracewell as being great players, it's a shame really!

I was 13 years old in 85 and was in the lower gwladys every other Saturday watching that side. I met Degsy for the first time at a pre-season game at Goodison about 8 years ago, and I was 13 years old all over again. I went on to meet Howard, Reidy and Brace later that evening, at which point I was just a quivering mess because these were my heroes.
Degsy is just the nicest guy though and a true gentleman.

This'll be contentious with some on here but I could never quite get my head round why Derek Mountfield fell out of favour with Howard Kendall and was replaced with Dave Watson! DM was a really good defender and was quicker than DW, had an excellent partnership with Kevin Ratcliffe, and could be relied on to score 10-12 goals a season including some pretty important ones!

Great player, comes across as a really nice fella too. Big Nev ripped him to bits in his autobiography, saying he was henpecked by his missus

Awful Wirral accent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.