2023/24 Dele

The club didn’t, the FSW did
I'm sure the club knew about their star player's history with the incoming manager before the appointment was made.

Benitez will have sold himself as being able to match Ancelotti without needing to pay sums like whatever Rodriguez's wage was (it went up like Joe Louis's age in Coming to America, so I've no idea what the actual amount was), this being the only board that would still buy him as some master tactician rather than a fat, finished, relegated Newcastle manager

I think we all know that if Dele is playing anywhere near his capability again, he is head and shoulders above anybody else at the club. the only question is whether he will reach those levels again.

We as fans know what his capabilities are.
We as fans know of his drop in form and what has likely caused that

What we as fans don't know, is his recovery pathway, what are his milestones and how is he performing against them. What is his mindset like? What's his probability for return to an effective positive force for Everton FC.

There are people with the answers to all of those questions, and if they look at each of the points objectively and decide that it is in the best interest of Everton FC to secure his services longer term, then I'm willing to back them and I will do just that

Who sanctioned this transfer of an immensely out of form player on mega money with a crazy contract where it’s money based on appearances. There isn’t much Everton could have done about his injuries or issues, but regardless it was a bizarre deal which has caused so many problems.

Were the only club stupid enough to take this guy when he was going through depression. No other club would even think of employing him. Hes still in his prime years but he hasnt played a full season in about 5 years. Why are we still paying him?

If there is an agreement with Spurs that if Dele signs an extension to his Everton contract then we have to pay a fee, then that will prevent that from ever happening.
I expect Everton will try to negotiate some kind of deal where Spurs may get something if Dele does sign an extension and does play for Everton in the future( both events being highly unlikely).

When this contract for Dele ends , the only hope Spurs have of getting anything at all.... ever, is Everton.

Who sanctioned this transfer of an immensely out of form player on mega money with a crazy contract where it’s money based on appearances. There isn’t much Everton could have done about his injuries or issues, but regardless it was a bizarre deal which has caused so many problems.
His name rhymed with Benwright