2023/24 Dele

I would love Dele to turn his carer around, but come on even we arent stupid enough to offer him a contract extension?
Having no legal knowledge, I dont know if his contract ended and then we signed him as a free agent we would then owe spuds a penny, but if we didnt and he was happy with a 12 month pay as you play deal, THEN it might be considered

Yes there is, It's Dele mate, he will get fit play 2 games then be out again for 3 months. He was a huge talent back in the day but sadly he is just a crock now and we can ill afford another one of those stinking the place out. This summer is a chance to move on the big earners who have caused this club trauma in recent years, let's just take it!!
Is he a crock though? He has only had the one injury that he got last season which has overflowed into this one. Obviously due to the deal he is on we are not in a huge rush to get him back anyway as we would have to pay for him.

His main issue will be if he can get any sort of consistency, he was playing last season, it just feels like he is a crock because he hasn't been here much.

I personally wouldn't be looking at keeping him around unless he fancies 20 quid a week wages or something. Shame as there has always been a player there.

The bit i don't understand mate - is if he becomes a free agent say on the 30th of June and he signs a contact extension - then we could owe Spurs a fee - that seems a bit murky to me.........id be questioning the legality around that, employment restriction, rights to ply trade etc.

Man City did it with Gareth Barry. In a scenario where the selling/loaning team are doing this in full knowledge of the potential for them to not receive a transfer fee if things play out in a certain way, I don't blame them at all for covering themselves like this

I would love Dele to turn his carer around, but come on even we arent stupid enough to offer him a contract extension?
Having no legal knowledge, I dont know if his contract ended and then we signed him as a free agent we would then owe spuds a penny, but if we didnt and he was happy with a 12 month pay as you play deal, THEN it might be considered

Unfortunately Spurs are entitled to insert a clause in the deal meaning we owe them more money if he signs a new deal with us (Man City did it to us with Gareth Barry) and the Athletic have reported that this is exactly what Spurs have done and pay as you play deals aren't allowed in the UK because of the PFA

Is he a crock though? He has only had the one injury that he got last season which has overflowed into this one. Obviously due to the deal he is on we are not in a huge rush to get him back anyway as we would have to pay for him.

His main issue will be if he can get any sort of consistency, he was playing last season, it just feels like he is a crock because he hasn't been here much.

I personally wouldn't be looking at keeping him around unless he fancies 20 quid a week wages or something. Shame as there has always been a player there.
He has barely played any proper football for the last few years, over 8 seasons he has had 15 separate injuries (mostly serious stuff) which have seen him spend some lengthy spells out of the game at times. If you look his injury record up on transfermarket it doesn't make for good reading.

He has barely played any proper football for the last few years, over 8 seasons he has had 15 separate injuries (mostly serious stuff) which have seen him spend some lengthy spells out of the game at times. If you look his injury record up on transfermarket it doesn't make for good reading.
Yeah seems to have had some hamstring issues. Time missed wasn't overly bad at least until the latest injury which has been over a year.

I'm amazed that Spurs didn't figure in a loan clause for the deal as technically he was still playing whilst on our books at Besiktas (?).

Unfortunately Spurs are entitled to insert a clause in the deal meaning we owe them more money if he signs a new deal with us (Man City did it to us with Gareth Barry) and the Athletic have reported that this is exactly what Spurs have done and pay as you play deals aren't allowed in the UK because of the PFA
Know Levy is a stubborn get but it really would be a take it or leave it negotiation because whatever we offered to pay we would be the only club he could sign with where they get any money, he’s free to go to any other club. So even out of self interest rather than reasonableness you’d think he’d maybe take a reduction in whatever the flat fee is.

What exactly is the rule and definition around pay as you play? I think what people term as PAYP is often really a fairly low salary rather than no salary, with greater performance incentives to compensate. I don’t see how that would be problematic.

Not sire I follow your wages logic.

Players (and agents come to a realisation if they want to continue at the top level. At his peak, Barkley was on 200k a week at Chelsea.

He's now getting 31k a week at Luton and has put himself in line for a far better deal there, or at another club in the Summer.

Not a chance Dele expects anything like his current deal.

Know Levy is a stubborn get but it really would be a take it or leave it negotiation because whatever we offered to pay we would be the only club he could sign with where they get any money, he’s free to go to any other club. So even out of self interest rather than reasonableness you’d think he’d maybe take a reduction in whatever the flat fee is.

What exactly is the rule and definition around pay as you play? I think what people term as PAYP is often really a fairly low salary rather than no salary, with greater performance incentives to compensate. I don’t see how that would be problematic.
In practice, PAYP contracts are legal under the law but the PFA don't allow their members to sign them

They allow heavily incentivised contracts, but what the definition is as far as the minimum basic salary goes I have no idea I'm afraid

If he reaches the end of his contract, becomes a free agent for 12 seconds and then we sign him on a new contract, Spurs would have no involvement whatsoever and nothing to renegotiate.

He’s our player now with his original purchase fee contingent and variable based on certain conditions (I.e. games played). Their only involvement is wondering whether we play him this season triggering an increase in the fee. The moment his contract ends, the original transfer fee is determined and fixed forever as he can’t play any more games for us as he isn’t our player, or anyones player. All of Spurs involvement ends. No-one has any call on an un-contracted human.

That said, anfter the current contract lapses and not before, offer him pay as you play for 1 year, no signing fee, with a first dibs option to extend to a proper contract the following season if we wish.
We have no way of knowing that what you’re saying is true.

Entirely depends on what is in our contract with Spurs and whether the contract provides for that eventuality.