2023/24 Dele

….Dyche said ‘he’s some way off’, which translates to another convenient set-back happening.
I read your earlier post and can (to an extent) understand the scepticism, but I don't think it's fair. From what I know, they do want Dele to get back to fitness.

For a long time, he hasn't looked after himself properly, and the injury (muscular) is partly down to that. Like with Dom, they're hoping to get him over this.

If you've been misusing sleeping tablets and painkillers, it can have a long-term impact on your body, and more so if you have, as part of this, aggravated an injury.

To be fair, it's more likely than not that he'll never play for us again, however ethically we've got to do our utmost to try to get him back to where he should be.

Selfishly, a fit Dele could also be a big benefit to the squad as we've all seen his talent. There is nothing convenient about paying him lots of money to not contribute.

I read your earlier post and can (to an extent) understand the scepticism, but I don't think it's fair. From what I know, they do want Dele to get back to fitness.

For a long time, he hasn't looked after himself properly, and the injury (muscular) is partly down to that. Like with Dom, they're hoping to get him over this.

…I’m sure they would like him available, Phil. They will also want access to him for the remainder of the season (not just 7 games) because we are paying a hefty salary. Beyond that, I’d be amazed if they don’t get rid asap.

He’s not 35 he’s had a few issues, it’s not impossible to come back from that
Absolutely not impossible, I’d love to see it. For his sake as much as ours. But the reality is he’s not played more than 10 games in a season for ?4 years. Probably not going to do it season either. Come back to a decent level here or somewhere else hope so. To a level near his previous best I think unlikely.

Surely it is in everyone’s interest to afford Deli Ali a chance to get himself sorted. Spurs would benefit from getting him off their books and they would receive a transfer fee. We would benefit from having another player and he would get his career back on track. If Spurs insist on the current deal then everyone loses.

I'm not sure it makes too much difference, I'd be amazed if he plays another 7 games for us, for with or without Spurs waiving the fee. He just doesn't seem to want it enough, I don't think he can turn it around at this stage. I hope I'm wrong, because he was a very good player once upon a time and he is still a relatively young player, but, I just don't think the poor lad can come back from the place he finds himself in.

Nobody other than perhaps the Saudi's are gonna pay him even half of what he's currently on once his contract has expired. Unless, of course, he does something remarkable here between now and the end of the season.

With that in mind, i wouldn't be against offering him a heavily incentivised contract.