DCL admissions here please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never much of an admirer of Harry Kane when he first started scoring. He just didn't look like a good footballer so I put him down as a one session wonder. Obviously he grew in to being England's best striker over the last few years so I'm crossing my fingers that DCL can do the same.

I still don't look at Kane and see a good footballer but he bangs the goals in. I'd be more than happy if the footballing world outside of Everton looked at DCL the same way in a few years.

I bought some humble pie on another thread.
The lad is doing well and slotting home with confidence.
He needs to keep doing the simple things well and consistently, i would love to be proved wrong every week.

It's almost like a player's development can be slow and full of bumps and demanding that 21 year olds get sold to a championship club is kneejerkism and potentially bad for the long term health of the club
We cant give time to all young players, Sandro didn't get time, Kean it would appear won't get time Lookman didn't get time,it's not possible to give all young players time or we'd be relegated.. the club need to choose which to give time to and which to move on.. I wanted DCL to be one that was moved on as he was consistently rubbish at the time, and he's come good at the moment and hopefully it will continue.

I always think his initials sound like and injury.
Well, a body part at least. An ACL or a PCL isn't an injury, same way as a foot or a ligament isn't an injury. Just something that can be injured.
I think his full name sounds like a lawyers office with 3 partners working together...
Initials are more like a courier company, which many would have said was fitting in the past...

View attachment 102685

I think our lawyer will rightly defend us with this piece of evidence I mean COME ON, I was absolutely fuming when I saw this.
Come on, he's only got half an open goal to aim at there!! :eek: :D

Seriously though, still feel ppl were a bit harsh on that one, and a picture doesn't tell the full story. Ball was bouncing awkwardly as he came in fast, and there are several players between him and the goal, 2/3 of which are moving towards the open area. Still should have done better, but it's not the glaring miss ppl made it out to be.

Sell. He will never make it.
Tbh, he's added about £20m to his value recently....

I don't remember writing anything negatively against him, but I certainly doubted he'd do this. Do I get a spanking?
Only if you want it as a reward...

I give a lot of credit to Rodriguez for having the quality to justify letting the striker work the box, but that'd be for naught if Calvert-Lewin wasn't doing the business.
Carlo must take a lot of praise because he is making DCL do the majority of his work in the 18 yard box, making him to be a bit more selfish in his efforts and its paying dividends.
...really good point about the Ancelotti affect, @Moomin. I’m absolutely certain DCL is reaping the benefit of following his Managers instruction to “play more central” and sit on the shoulder of the last defender.
The highlighted bit is key for me. In the past he needed to do more work for the team outside of the box. Now we are bossing games and have the quality to get the ball up the field without him running from touchline to touchline. If that wasn't the case he wouldn't be able to stick around the 18 yd box so much, no matter what his instructions.

You're standing by the comment that you wanted him removed from the club?

Crazy how people still won't change their minds, feel sorry for the people who have to deal with them in real life.

The same people will be calling him rubbish again as soon as he doesn't score for two games.
I stand by the comment as it was made at a time when he was playing rubbish, it was an accurate comment on how i felt when the comment was made.. I never said anywhere that I haven't changed my mind since..

Great to see him slotting,
but at stages in the match would rather have Richarlison at 9 and Bernard (or Neils) on the left.
Hard one, a striker who can dribble, duck weave and pass or a singularly focused slotter.

I always suspected we'd see the best of him as he got to about 25-26 and that he could be a Didier Drogba type striker. But he'd have to improve year in and year out to get there, and that was a big gamble and in the short term he might not be the player of the right standard whilst he was in the early part of his career.

He has exceeded my expectations by some margin this year. I also suspect that he will not be Drogba-esque but more in the Inzaghi mode after some of the media comparisons last weekend. Either way, I'm very pleased with how he has developed and hope that he can continue to progress.

Here's the thing with Dom

It's not that people should have seen that he would become as good as he has, but rather they should have seen that he clearly had talent and we were regularly setting up the team in a way that would never get the best out of him, especially in the Silva days when he was so isolated he may as well have been in Timbutktu most of the time

However, too many of our online fan base will write a young player off, even if they show clear talent as Dom did, because they don't come out of the box fully formed, and that needs to stop. Trying to get people to admit that Silva's system was wrong was like pulling teeth, because people had already made their minds up that it was Dom's fault and they just wouldn't budge

No one is saying that you have to be demanding all the kids play every week, but when they do play, grade them on a curve and take into account the fact that they will not be a finished product. It's better to back the kids when they do play instead of trying to find reasons to tear them down. And if they start delivering, as Dom was doing last season, stop looking for ways to excuse/ignore it and instead give them their fair props

Too many people made the incorrect decision to write off Dom early doors and then outright refused to change their mind, no matter how much he improved. It got to a point where a minority were rooting for him to fail, just so they could say they were right all along. That particular sentiment amongst some of our online fan base needs to die and never return, and hopefully the success of Dom has gone some way to killing it off

He’s made me look a dope for sure. He’s got certain limitations as practically all players have but he’s got what all great proper strikers have, an innate understanding of where to be to get goals, and right now, playing full of confidence and in a team and system that is able to get the best of him, he’s getting the rewards.

Delighted to be as wrong about him as I was.

Ruining Dave's wank logic since 2017.

Calling Dom a "pudding" might go down as the stupidest comment in GOT history

Status
Not open for further replies.