Homepage Article David Unsworth To Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good guy, don’t think he was a terrible coach but if you are trying to prepare talent for the league he is not what we need whatsoever.

New chief unsettles Unsworth

Everton’s new director of football Kevin Thelwell has made an immediate impact at Goodison Park, with his determination to overhaul the club’s youth set-up behind the departure of long-serving academy director David Unsworth last week.

Thelwell is understood to have been baffled that Unsworth was combining his duties as academy boss with a secondary role as Under 23 manager and demanded that the former Everton defender relinquish some of his responsibilities, which he was reluctant to do.

David Unsworth left his long-standing role as academy director of Everton last week

+5
View gallery
David Unsworth left his long-standing role as academy director of Everton last week
Unsworth instead opted to leave, citing a desire to pursue a managerial career, having twice served as a caretaker boss at Everton, with Thelwell’s influence demonstrated by the fact that the club are planning to recruit both an academy director and an Under 23 manager to replace him.

New chief unsettles Unsworth

Everton’s new director of football Kevin Thelwell has made an immediate impact at Goodison Park, with his determination to overhaul the club’s youth set-up behind the departure of long-serving academy director David Unsworth last week.

Thelwell is understood to have been baffled that Unsworth was combining his duties as academy boss with a secondary role as Under 23 manager and demanded that the former Everton defender relinquish some of his responsibilities, which he was reluctant to do.

+5
View gallery
Unsworth instead opted to leave, citing a desire to pursue a managerial career, having twice served as a caretaker boss at Everton, with Thelwell’s influence demonstrated by the fact that the club are planning to recruit both an academy director and an Under 23 manager to replace him.
If true (the Mail isn't a reputable source usually), it wouldn't surprise me as for too long it has appeared the focus of the U23s was to win PL2 or whatever it's called.

The main aim of the academy should be to develop players for the first team or at least develop them to a point where we can generate some revenue.

It was a conflict of interest for Unsworth to have both roles, and it's not as if his record for developing players has been great either.

For me personally, it comes down to perception and rightly or wrongly I don't think a young up and coming footballer can respect a guy that looks like he ate all the pies!!!

It did seem strange to me that the roll as head of the academy could be combined with managing the U23 team. Both positions need full time attention. One is a strategic role and the other more tactical. Academy Director needs to be detached from day to day team management.

Status
Not open for further replies.