David Moyes or Gordon Lee?

David Moyes Or Gordon Lee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember going to game when Gordon Lee was manager and going home with sore hands,we were knocking the ball around that well.And another point about a player he looked and never bought when he was looking at Graeme Sharpe he also looked at Ian Rush and decided not to get him, imagine how history would have changed [ he was a blue as well].
Thought he wanted Sharp and Rush but the board told him he could have one or the other? That might’ve been in Sharp’s awful autobiography. The one where every player was referred to by their imaginative nickname such as ‘Kingy’, ‘Lyonsy’ or ‘Gary-y’.

I'm reading Brian Viners Looking For The Toffees book right now. That book gives a great account of that era of Everton history.

It's weird we were winning nothing the rs were winning everything in sight as well, but i get the impression that it was a more fun time to be a Blue than the past almost thirty years worth of mediocrity.

Then again back in the late 70's Everton were still seen as a huge club that should be winning stuff. Sadly as a fanbase in the more modern era we became a bit more placid and accepting of mediocrity.

It was…much more fun.

Although we won nowt and hadn for a long time nor would we win owt again for a few years, you always felt….no, you always knew…we were quite capable of winning the title or a cup any season.

So very different to today.

I mean…imagine Forest coming up from the Championship one season, win the PL the next and win the Champions League the next two seasons.

All while winning the League Cup two or three times.

lol

All Moyes needed was the money to help us get to the next level. He never ever put pressure on Kenwright to secure that funding though.

I do fully blame Kenwright and Moyes for creating the plucky little Everton mentality.

You go on about hard work and team spirit etc, and Moyes era Everton were indeed a very good competitive team who unfortunately had a serious habit of bottling pretty much nearly every big game they played.

I respect David Moyes for the job he did under difficult circumstances, but i did consider him to be a total and utter Kenwright lackey though during his tenure as manager here.
He was a very expensive lackey being one of the highest paid managers in Europe,he had a comfortable well paid job at Everton and only Ferguson’s offer took him away from that comfort or he would have lasted a lot longer with Billy.

Moyes for me will be remembered as a manager who brought in some very good players for peanuts, but totally bottled it whenever we played the top 6 home and away.
12 games a season where we parked the bus in the hopes of nicking a goal.

I remember going to game when Gordon Lee was manager and going home with sore hands,we were knocking the ball around that well.And another point about a player he looked and never bought when he was looking at Graeme Sharpe he also looked at Ian Rush and decided not to get him, imagine how history would have changed [ he was a blue as well].
The night he went to watch Rush they played him in midnight.
We only had enough money for one of them and plumped for Sharp.

It was…much more fun.

Although we won nowt and hadn for a long time nor would we win owt again for a few years, you always felt….no, you always knew…we were quite capable of winning the title or a cup any season.

So very different to today.

I mean…imagine Forest coming up from the Championship one season, win the PL the next and win the Champions League the next two seasons.

All while winning the League Cup two or three times.

lol
We'll never see the likes of it again mate. The sport that we all once loved is long dead. The whole FFP and VAR bullshit was the final nail in the coffin sadly.

Its strange with Lee. He loved Geoff Nulty "strange one" however. Dave Thomas down that wing and Latchford will never leave me. We had maybe 2 unreal seasons. We won NOWT but we were the BEST team. Due to or in spite of Lee, I know not. What I do know is Moyes came nowhere near.
You could argue that we were unlucky not to win the Uefa Cup in 2008.

Likewise in 2009 as good a team as Chelsea were, if it wasn't for us having some injuries to a few of our key players then we could've beaten them in that FA Cup final.

All could haves and should haves at the end of the day though!

Unfair comparison really but we played really good football under Gordon Lee, had 3rd and 4th placed finishes, European football and two FA Cup semi-finals (getting done over by Clive Thomas in one). A month after we signed George Wood in 1977, Forest signed Shilton and he only conceded 18 goals in 37 matches. He was the reason they won the league that year.

We were still perceived to be one of the elite clubs in the 70s, but when Moyes took over we were making the numbers up in the league. He got us up the league and competitive at least at Goodison. I preferred to watch the Gordon Lee team, but as others have said it’s not a fair comparison.
They were both good managers for us who were unlucky not to win something. Although yes Gordon Lee didn't have to deal with the financial constraints that hampered David Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.