David Moyes or Gordon Lee?

David Moyes Or Gordon Lee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although then we never end up with Southall?
Probably but we also probably don't end up with Kendall as manager, Forest don't win 2 European cups etc. Ultimately in just a Shilton vs Nev thing from 77-1983 we definitely have a better keeper and then from 83-87 it's not like Shilton was crap. It only really starts to impact us after the last league title and definitely the last FA cup.

A world where Shilton is signed makes Everton a completely different club for better or worse. But for Gordon Lee in particular almost definitely for the better

Probably but we also probably don't end up with Kendall as manager, Forest don't win 2 European cups etc. Ultimately in just a Shilton vs Nev thing from 77-1983 we definitely have a better keeper and then from 83-87 it's not like Shilton was crap. It only really starts to impact us after the last league title and definitely the last FA cup.

A world where Shilton is signed makes Everton a completely different club for better or worse. But for Gordon Lee in particular almost definitely for the better
And if Lord Halifax had replaced Neville Chamberlain we would have been about halfway up the Bundesliga. I reckon in 1984 we might have done Locomotiv Leipzig in the cup final though.

These two would be the best of the non trophy winning Everton managers imo. Both were unlucky not to win a trophy with Everton, but i would vote for Gordon Lee here.

He could've won a trophy if it wasn't for a dominant rs side and an excellent Nottingham Forest team under Cloughie as well. He probably could very well have won a trophy if it wasn't for Clive Effing Thomas.lol

David Moyes did a great job on some fairly meagre resources, but Moyes along with the late Bill Kenwright is responsible for creating the whole small time plucky little Everton mentality. So that would be another reason why i'd vote for Gordon Lee. Lee also signed Graeme Sharp and Kevin Ratcliffe i think as well.
I remember going to game when Gordon Lee was manager and going home with sore hands,we were knocking the ball around that well.And another point about a player he looked and never bought when he was looking at Graeme Sharpe he also looked at Ian Rush and decided not to get him, imagine how history would have changed [ he was a blue as well].

These two would be the best of the non trophy winning Everton managers imo. Both were unlucky not to win a trophy with Everton, but i would vote for Gordon Lee here.

He could've won a trophy if it wasn't for a dominant rs side and an excellent Nottingham Forest team under Cloughie as well. He probably could very well have won a trophy if it wasn't for Clive Effing Thomas.lol

David Moyes did a great job on some fairly meagre resources, but Moyes along with the late Bill Kenwright is responsible for creating the whole small time plucky little Everton mentality. So that would be another reason why i'd vote for Gordon Lee. Lee also signed Graeme Sharp and Kevin Ratcliffe i think as well.
I don't buy that Moyes created that view of Everton. 4 years of Walter Smith had already done the damage and imo Moyes was quite astute in spinning us as the underdogs, taking pressure off the team and putting it on the opposition. Teams didn't like playing against us under Moyes a lot of the time, because they knew they'd be in for a fight for 90 mins against players who worked hard, had great team spirit and some quality. The fact that he's unearthed much of that quality from lower leagues for modest sums meant he was justified in under-hyping us against opposition with a wealth of expensive players with big egos. It was mind games and it worked reasonably well. The team out-performed expectations and were often lauded for having a great group mentality. Managers day whatever they think will give them a psychological advantage of will best motivate their team. I don't even blame him for leaving when he did - what manager wouldn't want the chance to test themselves at a higher level. And as for trying to buy some of our better players on the cheap after he left - what manager doesn't try to do that? Their goal then is to do the best for their current, not former employers.

I don't buy that Moyes created that view of Everton. 4 years of Walter Smith had already done the damage and imo Moyes was quite astute in spinning us as the underdogs, taking pressure off the team and putting it on the opposition. Teams didn't like playing against us under Moyes a lot of the time, because they knew they'd be in for a fight for 90 mins against players who worked hard, had great team spirit and some quality. The fact that he's unearthed much of that quality from lower leagues for modest sums meant he was justified in under-hyping us against opposition with a wealth of expensive players with big egos. It was mind games and it worked reasonably well. The team out-performed expectations and were often lauded for having a great group mentality. Managers day whatever they think will give them a psychological advantage of will best motivate their team. I don't even blame him for leaving when he did - what manager wouldn't want the chance to test themselves at a higher level. And as for trying to buy some of our better players on the cheap after he left - what manager doesn't try to do that? Their goal then is to do the best for their current, not former employers.
It’s strange how he never tried to give the team a psychological advantage against the top teams away from home winning one out forty odd games in eleven seasons. I didn’t blame him for taking the chance at Man.Unt. I was glad to see him finally go.

I'm reading Brian Viners Looking For The Toffees book right now. That book gives a great account of that era of Everton history.

It's weird we were winning nothing the rs were winning everything in sight as well, but i get the impression that it was a more fun time to be a Blue than the past almost thirty years worth of mediocrity.

Then again back in the late 70's Everton were still seen as a huge club that should be winning stuff. Sadly as a fanbase in the more modern era we became a bit more placid and accepting of mediocrity.
Might be a sore point but I felt we started accepting mediocrity when Kenwright and Moyes collaborated. The walker, Kendall mkiii and smith era where very bad moreso the walker era as we still had some money albeit not lots. Kendall mkIII was so budget that even the great Kendall look out of his depth. Smith was given faux money and he brought in some good players but had to offload asap due to finance. Moyes was on a budget also and brought us to a more acceptable position but spoilt it with the aid of BK as a knife to a gunfight and most supporters accepted this as a given and run of the mill club was accepted as success

All Moyes needed was the money to help us get to the next level. He never ever put pressure on Kenwright to secure that funding though.

I do fully blame Kenwright and Moyes for creating the plucky little Everton mentality.

You go on about hard work and team spirit etc, and Moyes era Everton were indeed a very good competitive team who unfortunately had a serious habit of bottling pretty much nearly every big game they played.

I respect David Moyes for the job he did under difficult circumstances, but i did consider him to be a total and utter Kenwright lackey though during his tenure as manager here.

What a night,1-0 down replay with Swindon,we turn it around with two injury time goals including the winner from Davey Jones,oh and we saw Gordon parading his big eff off sheepie too,great night😂😂😂
It was a hell of a night in the Gwladys Street when Dave Jones scored the winner.
I thought we won in extra time though?

Status
Not open for further replies.