Dave Moyes 10th anniversary thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok now i know davek is on a different planet as hes suggested that royle and harvey could claim to be better everton managers than moyes. Harvey did ok on reflection but took a team that had just won the league to those top ten finishes so slightly different i feel. As for royle winning a cup doesnt make him better as he couldn't sustain it and was woeful by the time he left. Why moyes is so good is the consistency of finishes over ten years. A cup would be nice and with a bit more luck we may have had one but being a good manager and having a good squad isnt all you need to win a trophy as u need a bit of luck to

To be fair Joe Royle won a trophy.

So in terms of history, it does indeed place him above Moyes.

If Moyes was to win something, it would clearly place him near the top of the pile, but untill that day, he must be placed below Royle, due to the fact that Royle had "similar" problems to Moyes faces.

Ok now i know davek is on a different planet as hes suggested that royle and harvey could claim to be better everton managers than moyes. Harvey did ok on reflection but took a team that had just won the league to those top ten finishes so slightly different i feel. As for royle winning a cup doesnt make him better as he couldn't sustain it and was woeful by the time he left. Why moyes is so good is the consistency of finishes over ten years. A cup would be nice and with a bit more luck we may have had one but being a good manager and having a good squad isnt all you need to win a trophy as u need a bit of luck to

I didn't say that at all though, did I? I said Royle should be slighted he wasn't mentioned and that Harvey and Moyes should be bracketed together.

You just responded to what you wished I'd written.

*sigh*

If Mrs Moyes hadnt opened her legs for Mr Moyes about 48 years ago, and young David hadn't been born, I wonder who our manager would be right now?

I reckon Kendall would be in his 9th spell with us right now.

If Mrs Moyes hadnt opened her legs for Mr Moyes about 48 years ago, and young David hadn't been born, I wonder who our manager would be right now?

I reckon Kendall would be in his 9th spell with us right now.

Gary Megson in his second spell.

To be fair Joe Royle won a trophy.

So in terms of history, it does indeed place him above Moyes.

If Moyes was to win something, it would clearly place him near the top of the pile, but untill that day, he must be placed below Royle, due to the fact that Royle had "similar" problems to Moyes faces.

Royle never finished 4th, nor finished in 5th (twice), all of which Moyes did. Nor did Royle manage Everton in Europe multiple times, going on several European runs.

Yes, Royle won a trophy, and was a great manager for us. But Moyes has longevity and consistency that Royle never had, and Moyes also has rebuilt the side several times in 10 years, whereas when Royle left, the 1995 team very quickly disbanded. I'd place him above Royle, even without a trophy, simply for the sheer amount he has achieved with Everton, in a different era, and with far weaker funding arrangements than Royle had too.

Royle never finished 4th, nor finished in 5th (twice), all of which Moyes did. Nor did Royle manage Everton in Europe multiple times, going on several European runs.

Yes, Royle won a trophy, and was a great manager for us. But Moyes has longevity and consistency that Royle never had, and Moyes also has rebuilt the side several times in 10 years, whereas when Royle left, the 1995 team very quickly disbanded. I'd place him above Royle, even without a trophy, simply for the sheer amount he has achieved with Everton, in a different era, and with far weaker funding arrangements than Royle had too.

Royle - thanks to Johnson - wasn't around long enough to get Everton into Europe multiple times. You can only achieve what you can. He took us from a relegation dog fight to Wembley and a cup win and a very respectable next season finish...then Johnson started undermining him...oh, and the local press stabbed him in the back too.

If Moyes had to contend with Johnson and the local media he'd have gone out of his mind and walked pronto, nevermind achieve what Joe did.

And I'd just add too that I know who I'd rather have in our dugout against Liverpool. Joe had their number, no problem.

£2.42m average net spend over his 10 years. Consistent top 6/7 finishes. Not always the brand of football we would like but those figures say it all. Agree we need a trophy though.

Royle - thanks to Johnson - wasn't around long enough to get Everton into Europe multiple times. You can only achieve what you can. He took us from a relegation dog fight to Wembley and a cup win and a very respectable next season finish...then Johnson started undermining him...oh, and the local press stabbed him in the back too.

If Moyes had to contend with Johnson and the local media he'd have gone out of his mind and walked pronto, nevermind achieve what Joe did.

It's a real shame Big Joe didn't hang about. He could have become one of the great Everton managers. Johnson's fault for not giving him the money for Flo, who went to Chelsea a few months later for a lot more than we would have paid for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.