Creativity in the final third

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
I read an interesting piece today on Cesc Fabregas and thought it time to dust down the statistical musings of old and look into our creativity in the final third of the pitch.

It's widely regarded that Arteta is our main creative fulcrum, yet a look at the table below reveals that it is in fact Phil Neville who completes the most passes in the opposition third of the pitch.

sfnhow130.gif

Discuss.

Could this possibly be because Arteta keeps hold of the ball more, while Neville looks to get rid of it asap?

It's perhaps not the best indicator but according to the PL fantasy football site, Arteta is currently 4th in the assists table with 4 (Fabregas has 6). Also of interest is that the next in the list is AJ with a paltry 2 and that the only other midfielders to register an assist are Graveson and Pienaar.

On the surface these two stats would seem to contradict each other but it's worth remembering that Arteta is our corner/free kick taker and we have done very well from set pieces this season.

Could this possibly be because Arteta keeps hold of the ball more, while Neville looks to get rid of it asap?

That's is exactly what going on, Neville is passing the ball more that's it and some nice crosses from time to time, but Arteta is using the ball more and creating more chance!

This season Neville's performance is only so-so and average at best, the number of importance passes is mess up by him and numerous defence mistake he made, and couple of final passes he mess up, which is part of the reason why we have lost so many clean sheets and points so far this season!

Arteta is on the wing, all of the other players on that list, or atleast most of them are in the centre where they are able to pass more. If Arteta was in the centre he would be at the top of that list.

Statistics can be oh so misleading. Never mind figures look at what you see on the pitch and make your mind up. By the way passes could also include knocking it back to your back four!

Statistics can be oh so misleading. Never mind figures look at what you see on the pitch and make your mind up. By the way passes could also include knocking it back to your back four!

Yeah I agree. For the statistics to be any good then we need statistics on the statistics!

Some are primary stats like games won, goals scored etc. Then we have secondary stats like assits, no of passes completed, possession %, but when we get down to the stats like number of passes in the final third, then you have to look at other factors in order to give them any weight.

I think Nevilles presence in there could be contributed to a number of things: he's the captain therefore gets passed to more frequently, he's a central midfielder so (statistically) he's going to be in the final third more often than say Yobo or it could mean he's a complete shithouse and passes the ball whenever he's challenged (if you ever read this Phil im not calling you a shithouse, just using it as an e.g).

Heh yeah.

Fabregas has completed 318 out of 400 in the final third.

Neville has completed 184 out of 400 in the final third.

lol lol

(Edit: That Elano. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a darker shade of Blue)

Heh yeah.

Fabregas has completed 318 out of 400 in the final third.

Neville has completed 184 out of 400 in the final third.

lol lol

(Edit: That Elano. I wouldn't mind seeing him in a darker shade of Blue)

Where does 400 come from? Or are you just making that up as a joke??!

Concur on Elano though... and the kid Johnson, even if Chelsea made him look cack and weak :(

passes in the final third?

how is that counted? the ball arrives to a player in the final third from anywhere or the player is in the final third and completes a successful pass to another player in the final third.

what constitutes a successful pass? the first touch being of a player in ones own team?

i see it as a nev hoof from RB or DM and a vic flick on, or a 50-50 ball on the flank for instance. to have scored 184 passes in the final third so early in the season, i wonder what the 'ball give aways' table looks like.

Yeah I agree. For the statistics to be any good then we need statistics on the statistics!

Some are primary stats like games won, goals scored etc. Then we have secondary stats like assits, no of passes completed, possession %, but when we get down to the stats like number of passes in the final third, then you have to look at other factors in order to give them any weight.

I think Nevilles presence in there could be contributed to a number of things: he's the captain therefore gets passed to more frequently, he's a central midfielder so (statistically) he's going to be in the final third more often than say Yobo or it could mean he's a complete shithouse and passes the ball whenever he's challenged (if you ever read this Phil im not calling you a shithouse, just using it as an e.g).

Personally I'm inclined to think that it's been an indication of our weakness in midfield this season. Everyone knows that Arteta is our main creative outlet so they mark him tightly. This is emphasised by the lack of assists from any of our other midfielders, a situation that with Cahill and Graveson returning, plus Pienaar settling in will hopefully change pretty soon.

Pienaar is really impressing me, easily our best performer on Saturday. He gets stuck in and works his arse off. Looking like another good spot from Moyes.

Baines just oozes quality though, Im made up we got him. Hopefully we can find his right footed twin brother.

passes in the final third?

how is that counted? the ball arrives to a player in the final third from anywhere or the player is in the final third and completes a successful pass to another player in the final third.

what constitutes a successful pass? the first touch being of a player in ones own team?

i see it as a nev hoof from RB or DM and a vic flick on, or a 50-50 ball on the flank for instance. to have scored 184 passes in the final third so early in the season, i wonder what the 'ball give aways' table looks like.

Do you want me to answer those questions? :)

if you like, i wasnt taking you on per se. i can envisage fabregas accumulating so many passes in that arsenal side very easily - pace and movement giving him options every second of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.