2022/23 Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes moved from Wolves cos the manager told him he wasnt in his plans.

We will find out whether he can play in a 4 at some point.

I doubt a Premier League player cant play in a back 4.

[Paid Content - Blacklisted]/2234185/2020/12/02/wolves-conor-coady/

Nice little break down in the Athletic when he played in a 4 for England and a few times for Wolves (they go through a game Vs arsenal).

He was fine.

Confident & sure footed competitor that is an asset to any defensive side, just a bit heavy footed in possession

Very, very good signing - to get an experienced defender, England player, captain of his last club on a loan is incredible business

Essential given the central defensive crisis

Hope time down the pecking order gives Keane time to rebuild his confidence. If he can't, think he'd be better off going to another club with less pressure, where he can be first choice....

I find this to be the strangest bit of business we have done for years and possibly one of the best as well.

I thought Coady would have been one of the few players at Wolves that simply was not for sale without someone making a massive bid and even then sold grudgingly.

We have been able to sign on loan a 29 year old club captain who should be in his prime, whose contract is not about to expire and we have even gotten him on loan this season.

I can't honestly say I spend much time watching Wolves and I keep seeing it repeated he that he can't play in a back four and that is why he is being released as Wolves are changing formations.

Can anybody say when playing for England was that in a back four or a five?

Nice little break down in the Athletic when he played in a 4 for England and a few times for Wolves (they go through a game Vs arsenal).

He was fine.
I feel like people have got a bit confused with the 'can't play in a 4' stuff. I mean obviously he can play in a 4, he's not physically incapable of it or anything, it's just the feeling is generally that whereas he's an above average centre half in a 5 he's a below average one in a 4. He won't spontaneously combust if we put him there, but if we intend on playing a back 4 every week then he probably isn't going to be a very good signing.

He's not very quick (and quite slow on the turn) and he also struggles against very physical strikers. In a 4 that's a problem but in a 5 he just sits deep as a sweeper and mops up, never really needing to see his weaknesses exposed. If we get the set up right then his organisation and passing ability can be very useful for us.

I feel like people have got a bit confused with the 'can't play in a 4' stuff. I mean obviously he can play in a 4, he's not physically incapable of it or anything, it's just the feeling is generally that whereas he's an above average centre half in a 5 he's a below average one in a 4. He won't spontaneously combust if we put him there, but if we intend on playing a back 4 every week then he probably isn't going to be a very good signing.

He's not very quick (and quite slow on the turn) and he also struggles against very physical strikers. In a 4 that's a problem but in a 5 he just sits deep as a sweeper and mops up, never really needing to see his weaknesses exposed. If we get the set up right then his organisation and passing ability can be very useful for us.

No one can say that he’s a below average centre back in a back 4 though, it’s an assumption because he’s mostly played in a back 5 at Wolves. Same way people assumed that Tarkowski couldn’t play in anything other than a low block flat back 4 and wasn’t good on the ball because he was at Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.