Closing Thoughts on the Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I look at it is as follows:

For the past two seasons we've had a squad capable of a European finish but finished bottom half due to having a tactically inept manager. That problem has been resolved. His League One backroom staff have gone and we've brought in actual coaches, so... so far so good.

However, I am bitterly disappointed in how we were bullied into selling Stones. I think most fans would have been able to stomach it a lot more if money was actually made available (aside from the Stones money) to fill the squad with quality, but all we've done with that money is sign Williams (who'll likely stay at this level for 2 years tops) that absolute donkey Bolasie (I am not even going to listen to arguments on him; he's rubbish and you all know it) and then potentially two astute cheaper signings in Gueye and Steklenberg.

What I fail to understand is how:
- We were unable to even give away Niasse
- The likes of Cleverley and Lennon are still here, despite being way down the pecking order
- No backup striker was sought until the very last minute, then we ended up signing a West Ham cast-off

To try and make myself feel more positive about the situation I will just compare our signings to players they've 'replaced':

Steklenberg > Howard
Gueye > Osman
Bolasie > Pienaar (technically Bolasie is much, much, much poorer... but at least he has stamina and power. That's something, right?)
Williams is currently a better defender than Stones, however Stones has 10 years on Williams, so keeping him would have been better

The board have huge questions to answer. Negative net spend, no proven second striker in, no creative midfielder. Somebody said it last night, but we genuinely are a Lukaku injury away from a relegation fight. Imagine we hover around 10 points above relegation zone, end of January arrives, deadline closes, then Lukaku picks up a bad injury. We'll be saying bye bye to the Premier League.

Yesterday appears to have been a typical everton admin farce but there's probably no single player we could've signed that would've made more of a difference to us this season than improving the performance of all those already here by 5-10%. For all we dream of quick fixes through glamour signings basics like being able to see out a game you are narrowly winning will have a far greater impact on our points total come May.

Let's just get back to debating the abilities of our defensive and set-piece coaching. We've had our eye turned for too long!

After sleeping on it. I am feeling much better yet still disappointed as we all are including Ronald Koeman no doubt.
Valencia is definitely just another body, I believe he's been brought in as we ran out of options time whatever. I see him as a player who will work hard and defend from the front rather than someone bagging double figures.
We will see about that one.

If we can get a striker in January or anyone we need then great.
Next summer will no doubt see more deadwood moved on as Koeman builds his own team. Hopefully he's building for a European tour.
Trust Koeman. Trust Moshiri. COYB

Everton have been blessed down the past 10+ years of employing a series of decent, level headed, honourable professionals, for example, Baines, Osman, Hibbo, Jags, Neville, Howard, Cahill, Coleman, all easy to deal with, never caused any bother, got on with the job and loved playing for the club. But now Everton are trying to sign a different type of player, and just as importantly, deal with a different type of agent. And we were simply not sufficiently geared up to deal with them and handle the transition.

My thoughts? The blame lies squarely at the feet of the owner.

Not because we didn't spend any money, but because he is letting the old guard carry on. Business as usual for them and look at the results. Hearing us offer 21m for the lad from napoli when they want 24m. 3m these days is loose change. Just pay it. Same with other players. Until moshiri cuts kenwright, Elstone and the rest of the Blerts out then we will carry on, moving from farce to farce. It's his train set now, sort it out.

I think overall we have a right to be dissapointed. We have brought more money in, than we paid out. I think we were all hoping for a "big name" and some European kids with bright futures, but it hasn't happened. Maybe without European football, Everton is a tough sell to some players, it certainly seemed that way with the likes of Witsel.

Then players like Bony opted to go to Stoke, where he would be first choice and play every week rather than compete for a place with Lukaku.

Don't worry lads, only 121 days, 14 hours and 57 minutes till the January window opens.....

I do so detest the media led farce that is deadline day.

It was never like this in my day.....
I find the only people drawn to it and who get excited about it are the geordiekopites. You know the types. I was shaking my head yesterday at all the "it's here!" and "strap yourself in lads" posts on here.

For what? A Rupert Murdoch dance of hysteria that resulted in Everton and Spurs going after a player Newcastle couldn't afford to keep and Jack Wilshire going to Bournemouth as Arsenal want to offset his wages. That's it like. And Sky was wrapping it up saying no one would ever forget it, as though it was some big dramatic day.

The thing is that the utter bells that infect English football, the geordiekopites amongst our fanbase will lap it up while Sky was patting little Everton on the head and get excited over it in January too.

I can't have fans like this, and it guts me that they're rising in concentration of our fanbase when they should be at Anfield or St James Park, like @bizzaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.