Match Thread Chelsea vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I have criticised Pickford for poor decisions and panicking when it's happened and he's certainly prone to both.
Tonight however I just don't feel that criticism is deserved.
I really can't see that Pickford is to blame for the penalty. He had to go for the ball, the Chelsea player just beat him to it. It happens. He came within an inch of getting his fingers to the ball. I don't think it was a poor decision to go for the ball and I certainly don't think it was panic.
not just tonight mate, lots of games his head goes not saying hes not a shot stopper but needs swapping

Midfield ball retention shocking at times,slow,turgid and predictable in outcome,why the 3,4 or 5 touches to play a pass that was on 1st time,other times rushed when closed down to putting a teamate under pressure then resulting in loss of possession......Annoying watching so called lesser teams midfielders knocking the ball around with accuracy and purpose while ours toils away moving it slowly mostly sideways or backwards.
Surely not coached that or they lack the technical ability to do so,if that is the case for what we have invested it's very worrying.......

Midfield ball retention shocking at times,slow,turgid and predictable in outcome,why the 3,4 or 5 touches to play a pass that was on 1st time,other times rushed when closed down to putting a teamate under pressure then resulting in loss of possession......Annoying watching so called lesser teams midfielders knocking the ball around with accuracy and purpose while ours toils away moving it slowly mostly sideways or backwards.
Surely not coached that or they lack the technical ability to do so,if that is the case for what we have invested it's very worrying.......
I agree
It's been the same for a while despite the results
We have been lucky to win a lot of games recently
We need to be realistic
There is a lot of improvement needed if we really are going to be a top 4 team

The way Chelsea have been playing lately, I expected a loss here, but then their team selection gave me some hope that they could be got at.

Very poor from Everton, though. The lack of player who can get on the ball and make things happen in the middle of the park continues to be a glaring weakness.

70% possession is in line with most of our games, think it was the same vs Liverpool. They got a lucky deflection which gave them the advantage and we haven't finished our chances. Then Pickford does that.
Pickford (of whom I have been a big critic) was excellent. Our failing was having a lump called Gomes as our creative midfield. Dont know what he offers.

Bit of an air of inevitability about that tonight, couldn't complain about the effort/workrate but just lacking that little bit of stardust/quality in the final third, could say a deflection and a penalty did for us but in truth Pickford had an outstanding game, hopefully Doucoure and James may feature at the weekend, still a big opportunity for us to kick on in the next three league games I think.
100% this.... we aren't in Chelsea's bracket yet. Laughable how everybody seemed to think this was going to be our coming out party, it's a massive reality check but the good thing is we can bounce back from this against Burnley. Ancellotti is pragmatic he knows where we have improve and will do so in the summer.

Been impressed by the form of Davies recently,never been his biggest admirer, but losing the ball the he did for their chance and th Pickford double save really was the Davies of old and a liability...

100% this.... we aren't in Chelsea's bracket yet. Laughable how everybody seemed to think this was going to be our coming out party, it's a massive reality check but the good thing is we can bounce back from this against Burnley. Ancellotti is pragmatic he knows where we have improve and will do so in the summer.
No disgrace losing to a better team tonight. Unfortunately what may well cost us is our poor home form against mid table teams. Still lots to play for and if we can get a few more wins under the belt then Europe still a possibility.

not just tonight mate, lots of games his head goes not saying hes not a shot stopper but needs swapping
Oh I would also like to see us sign a better keeper, but this isn't the Pickford thread. This is a thread about tonight's game. His performance tonight just doesn't warrant the amount of criticism he's getting from some in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.