Change of style next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
As is the fashion at the moment, we seem largely to have set up in a 4-2-3-1 last season, but it seems unlikely that Barkley will ever make it as a true #10.

Might it be worth therefore to revert next season to a more traditional 4-3-3 and put Barkley a little bit deeper alongside McCarthy and Cleverley and try and get him more box to box?

I hope so tbh. Really don't think we need 2 DM every game. Certainly not at GP!!

If it were down to me we'd play
A 4-3-3. Mcarthy would be the Holding DM with barkley and one other the 2 more natural CM. Same way as the likes of chelsea and arsenal play.

Big away games I'd play 2 holding DM. Mcarthy and Barry or Besic.

Majority of teams in the world play 4-2-3-1 and it's the most boring formation I've ever seen in my life. I would only advocate that formation - or even 5 at the back - against the big teams. Prime example of it's failings - and Martinez's reluctance to be flexible - was Sunderland at home. Completely dominated that game yet played with two defensive midfielders?

I've been thinking the same all season, we don't need 2 dm in every game especially at home. I hope we change it but can't see it though

Last edited:
TBH the best we looked last season at times was when he went 433 and rom had the support of Kone and lennon. But judging by Robertos comments cant see us changing much

As is the fashion at the moment, we seem largely to have set up in a 4-2-3-1 last season, but it seems unlikely that Barkley will ever make it as a true #10.

Might it be worth therefore to revert next season to a more traditional 4-3-3 and put Barkley a little bit deeper alongside McCarthy and Cleverley and try and get him more box to box?
I think that's the most likely formation for next year. Towards the end of the season we pushed McCarthy further forward so it's not like we haven't tried it. We just didn't have the right personnel.

Who could pass it to Rom?
We must set up to feed him. We havent been played in a way that his strenghts would have been properly utilized.

New #10 is a must.
That's the problem with Cleverly and Barkley playing in the two central positions of a 4-3-3. They aren't exactly Xavi and Iniesta.

Would prefer to wait to see who's on board for next season but wouldn't be against 4-3-3 as long it doesn't feature Lukaku on the wing and Naismith in some kind of playmaker position.

Reactions: emb
That's the problem with Cleverly and Barkley playing in the two central positions of a 4-3-3. They aren't exactly Xavi and Iniesta.

Might a change in wide players help? I'm a fan of Mirallas, but he tends to play for himself more than for others. I think Lennon would perhaps be more creative of the two. If we could get a Pienaar type player on the other flank then that could do a lot of the creating for Lukaku.

Our formation will definitely be dictated by the state of the squad heading into next season. 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 don't really work for us at the moment with only one decent winger.

It would be nice to play 4-4-2 in Goodison with attacking wingers and full backs pumping crosses into the box for our strikers to attack. McCarthy and Barkley in midfield, Barkley playing box to box, joining in the attack pouncing on loose balls outside the area, McCarthy keeping shape in front of the back four. Simple and effective togger.

Status
Not open for further replies.