2018/19 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon he might go back to Besiktas in January. He did say he wanted to return to Turkey someday, and their fans most likely still gush over him.

He's never actually been that prolific you know. Just reviewing his return here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenk_Tosun and it's not like he scores goals for fun. We had someone who scored goals for fun but a decent percentage of the fan base hated him for not running around enough.

Considering he played for one of the best teams in a poor league those stats really don't do him any favours.

Get some quality balls into him and get the midfield to actually look up and clock his runs and he'll score. Horrible game against West Ham but every single player has the occasional performance like that.

Signed in January and played under Fat Sam for months in a completely shellshocked side. Personally I'd give at least a full season before I slated a lad coming in from a different country. There's a good few excellent players who have had pretty shoddy starts to life in the PL and gone on to perform and that's at much more settled clubs with established managers and hierachies.

It's actually interesting going back and listening to the GrandOldTeam podcast I did with Kaan Bayazit (Besiktas fan) from when we signed Cenk - he openly says we shouldn't expect him to score bag fulls like Rom but he'll work hard, which he does.

Shameless plug:

He's never actually been that prolific you know. Just reviewing his return here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenk_Tosun and it's not like he scores goals for fun. We had someone who scored goals for fun but a decent percentage of the fan base hated him for not running around enough.

And trampoline shins. Can't forget the trampoline shins.

Cenk is the type of rounded striker we need but feels just that bit lacking in every area. I'm not personally ready to throw in the towel with him though - I've seen enough to suggest he could still come good. People seemingly forget or ignore that he's only been in the Premier League for the equivalent of half a season.

It's hard for New foreign players at this moment in the club because english speakers(unlike recently) are not sure of their place so it's seen maybe as threat and there is no welcoming group of leaders.. But tosun must do much better

Get some quality balls into him and get the midfield to actually look up and clock his runs and he'll score. Horrible game against West Ham but every single player has the occasional performance like that.

Signed in January and played under Fat Sam for months in a completely shellshocked side. Personally I'd give at least a full season before I slated a lad coming in from a different country. There's a good few excellent players who have had pretty shoddy starts to life in the PL and gone on to perform and that's at much more settled clubs with established managers and hierachies.

This idea that you can pick a pass for his runs is just completely wrong. He's not a pacey player, you can't pick a pass for someone who is slow to run onto it.

Tosun is obviously a player who does his best work in the box. The problem is that he rarely looks like scoring from there either. I actually thought West Ham was his best game of the season because he at least got himself into goal scoring positions.

This idea that you can pick a pass for his runs is just completely wrong. He's not a pacey player, you can't pick a pass for someone who is slow to run onto it.

Tosun is obviously a player who does his best work in the box. The problem is that he rarely looks like scoring from there either. I actually thought West Ham was his best game of the season because he at least got himself into goal scoring positions.

Not in terms of a ball for him to outstrip the defence and run onto but to give him the chance to be effective in attacking. Too many times he's moving into good positions away from defenders where he can cause problems and he's not getting the ball. Instead it's been a lot of safe sideways passes or just poor passes.

I agree in terms of his movement against West Ham. There's real problems when he stops getting into those positions.

Too soon to write him off.

Lukaku himself would quite often go five games or more without scoring.

He wasn’t actually that prolific. He’d just score his goals in a bunch then go missing for good periods. He was still great though.

Tosun is a good player. Hopefully he can discover some form.

He's our best striker and I'm happy for us to persevere with him.
Could we do with a better striker? Every team in the world could, but until that happens I'd keep him in the side.

That's not his fault, its the passers fault. If they can't judge the pace of the pass relative to Tosuns position, what chance has he got?

Status
Not open for further replies.