2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the derby, we have been outrun (by every metric) in every game apart from the Man Utd match, which was marginally in our favour.

Ironically, in the derby we outran Liverpool, but they had more high intensity runs than us (spent a bigger percentage of the game moving at a faster speed than our lot).

That's not good.

Carlo is struggling as would any other manager saddled with a squad has poor as ours. Long term project, if he has the ambition and the will to stay and try it. Some, but very few, maybe thought he had a magic wand. He hasn't.

I have genuine questions about some of the tactical/personnel choices on recent games. The man is not above criticism.

But at the same time, we're improving overall and the mess he inherited was never going to be a quick fix. Needs 2 summers at least. Can we just back a manager please? If we are the club that gives up on and sacks Carlo flipping Ancelotti then we'll regret it.

People seem to misunderstand just how far we had fallen and the state of the squad overall that he inherited. Finishing so comfortably clear of relegation last season was borderline miraculous given where we were. The squad was full of overpaid, under-insprired rubbish and was heading nowhere fast.

We now have some genuinely world class players, some very saleable assets and much more of an identity.
There are still big holes and issues to address but you can't do it all overnight.

Patience, blues.

Carlo is struggling as would any other manager saddled with a squad has poor as ours. Long term project, if he has the ambition and the will to stay and try it. Some, but very few, maybe thought he had a magic wand. He hasn't.

Can’t blame people for thinking that way, we’ve had any other hope sapped out of us.

In comes a serial winner and people start believing because why not.

Sadly the problem is now that but a manager can’t even fix it.

Moshiri can fix it but he chooses not to.

Nkounkou isn't 17.

Kenny has played one PL game this season and was just okay.

Both of them are better options than Davies or Iwobi in the positions they played yesterday.

If we wanted to keep Iwobi at RWB after a promising game v Fulham, that's fine, but keep him there, and put our actual only back-up left-back in at LWB.

If Carlo wasn't happy with our back-up options, then he should have told Brands he wanted other options.

There's no defending what he did yesterday. It was crap. I don't care what he's won or what he's done. It was a crap decision and lately he's making a lot of them.
Who’s actual said he wasn’t happy? For all we know Nkounkou may have had a knock.
One 20 and one got a full season on the Bundesliga are better than delph and Iwobi
Kenny had a full season at a team who didn’t and still haven’t won a league game in 11 months. Nkounkou has played 4 games for us, 2 of which were against teams in Leagues 1&2 that’s not a good measure to judge his ability

Who’s actual said he wasn’t happy? For all we know Nkounkou may have had a knock.

Kenny had a full season at a team who didn’t and still haven’t won a league game in 11 months. Nkounkou has played 4 games for us, 2 of which were against teams in Leagues 1&2 that’s not a good measure to judge his ability

Both of our full-backs are out injured and Carlo didn't pick either of our back-ups in the squad.

Tells me he's not happy...

Nkounkou was at the ground yesterday and no sign of any injury, though of course it could be a possibility. But since Carlo was talking about Iwobi playing at LWB in his presser on Friday, I guess for some reason he convinced himself it would work.

Nkounkou at left back next game please.

Go back to 4-3-3, bring in Delph or one of Holgate/Godfrey into the midfield to help out Allan and Doucoure.

Against Burnley, play Gomes deep. Get him picking the ball up from the defence and let Allan and Doucoure do the running around him.

Would like to see us go back to 4-3-3 and play the team we won so well with early on by taking control of the midfield.

Godfrey for Mina at the back. Mason H RB if Coleman isn’t fit.

Job’s a good un. I personally don’t like 3-4-3 at all

Both of our full-backs are out injured and Carlo didn't pick either of our back-ups in the squad.

Tells me he's not happy...

Nkounkou was at the ground yesterday and no sign of any injury, though of course it could be a possibility. But since Carlo was talking about Iwobi playing at LWB in his presser on Friday, I guess for some reason he convinced himself it would work.
Tells me you’re putting 2&2 together and making 5 honestly, he’s mentioned in his last two pressers that Kenny had fitness issues

It’s all hindsight now but he could have really kept Iwobi on right and brought Delph in a LB since he has played there before

It was exposed anyway by the fact they were playing through us constantly

Yes fair point. I'm just not sure though, with our current full back options, and the lack of protection in front we would benefit from a 4-3-3. If Gbamin can come in and find his feet, maybe the discussion is changed a little.

My take is that we have enough going forward, but we are wide open defensively. I'd be nervou about losing more defenders.

Nkounkou isn't 17.

Kenny has played one PL game this season and was just okay.

Both of them are better options than Davies or Iwobi in the positions they played yesterday.

If we wanted to keep Iwobi at RWB after a promising game v Fulham, that's fine, but keep him there, and put our actual only back-up left-back in at LWB.

If Carlo wasn't happy with our back-up options, then he should have told Brands he wanted other options.

There's no defending what he did yesterday. It was crap. I don't care what he's won or what he's done. It was a crap decision and lately he's making a lot of them.
Totally! The other mad thing was the bench. Fine have your little experiment and try square pegs in round holes and keep the back 3/5 even though we never look good playing it but no Kenny or Niels on the bench was nuts. When the gamble failed massively we had nobody to bring on to replace the fish out of water wing backs and couldn’t go to a back 4 because he had no fullbacks on the bench. Ended up having to stick with the back 3 even though we were wide open in midfield and over the course of the game playing Iwobi, Davies, Delph and Doucoure at wingback....and we wonder why we looked disorganised.

We’re missing big players but the way we’ve been playing is also self inflicted.

But if he doesn’t even get a look in when our only other LB is injured then how are you ever going to judge his ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.