2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the interview. Honestly feels like he's writing the season off, doesn't seem arsed about the performance. Actually quite irritated how he showed more emotion during the minute clap than another shambles loss
I mean, I would show more emotion remembering a friend then I would having another bad match.

You can be irritated with how these last 6 matches have been as I am but him getting emotional about losing someone he played against a bunch and was friends with isn't something to beat anyone over

I’m not having the excuse of he needs more of his own players etc. when you break it down, he signed four of today’s starting 11. He bought a keeper, who played well in one game, he then backed Pickford publicly and has consistently stood by him. Michael Keane has also been given a 5 yr contract. I’m assuming that he would have been happy with DCL and Richarlison so that’s a large percentage of the team. If he’s a chequebook manager, he’s not the one for us. He’s been dubbed as the manager that is great at giving freedom to world class players and allowing them to flourish. I love the guy but he looks a little lost atm. I mean if Marco silva would have played Tom Davies rwb today and iwobi lwb, he’d be hung out to dry.
The spurs game aside which looks an exception now, we’ve won 4 games this season against the teams that are 15th,16th, 17th and 19th. The other teams we’ve got 1 point from. The fixtures in December concern me and we could easily be in a similar position to last year.....

I’m not having the excuse of he needs more of his own players etc. when you break it down, he signed four of today’s starting 11. He bought a keeper, who played well in one game, he then backed Pickford publicly and has consistently stood by him. Michael Keane has also been given a 5 yr contract. I’m assuming that he would have been happy with DCL and Richarlison so that’s a large percentage of the team. If he’s a chequebook manager, he’s not the one for us. He’s been dubbed as the manager that is great at giving freedom to world class players and allowing them to flourish. I love the guy but he looks a little lost atm. I mean if Marco silva would have played Tom Davies rwb today and iwobi lwb, he’d be hung out to dry.
The spurs game aside which looks an exception now, we’ve won 4 games this season against the teams that are 15th,16th, 17th and 19th. The other teams we’ve got 1 point from. The fixtures in December concern me and we could easily be in a similar position to last year.....
summed up perfectly, we all know how this is going to end.........

I've said from day one he had a massive task on his hands. Our squad was truly woeful. The addition of James, allan, doucoure and, longer term, Godfrey, have improved the squad, but you can't polish a turd overnight and he does need time to be judged fairly.

Saying that, he's made some wacky decisions lately. The iwobi/Davies wing back thing beggars belief. Iwobi plays one of his better games for us at right wing back against Fulham but is switched to left wing back today when nkoukou isn't even considered?

One of our slowest players, tom, is stuck in at right back when he doesn't have the pace to get up and down the right flank? Sticking with players who haven't performed, siggy, tom, delph, gomes, bernard on a merry-go-round of musical chairs from bench to playing to bench again. Ignoring Gordon for having the temerity of knocking on his door and wondering why Siggy and others were ahead of him when they were consistently playing gash?

As someone said earlier, something isn't right at the minute and other managers would have been slaughtered for some of the square peg in round hole formations and selections.

As is always the case.....truth is we are somewere in the middle of the bi-polar reactions after results.

Klipperty across the park took two years to get into the top 4 and four years to win a trophy. And he didn't inherit as awful a squad as Ancelotti did.

Patience.

Klipperty imprinted his style and system onto the team immediately, it took a while for the success to come but you could see immediately what he was about.
Can you see an ethos, a style of play, an effective system yet with us? It changes from week to week. I know we have injuries every now and then but we should have players who can step in and make a reasonable attempt at maintaining consistency. We look absolutely clueless in an attacking sense.

Cant really blame Ancelotti seeing as the depth in key positions just isnt there...

The only 3 positions where we have depth are in LB (Nkounkou), LF (Gordon) and CB (lots)...

Aside from criticising Ancelotti about not trusting Nkounkou and Gordon theres not much wrong.

The good news is that with alot of players out of contract this coming and the following summer, these two players (and more) should come through and we can actually sign players to replace the dross.

I’m not turning on him but, his team selections have been shocking the past 4-5 games . I get Coleman and digne were out . Iwobi played one of his best games last week at RWB so why move him and play davies ? Theat two players playing a position they’ve never played . Also means one of our slowest players is playing RWB... he also can’t cross , tackle , track back or head... he’s also being left exposed by playing behind James ... I have never understood why we go 3 at the back as I have never seen it work... it always looks dodgy and Fulham dominated us for 45 mins last week and Leeds could have scored 2-3 goals before half time yesterday ... he could have played delph at LB and I am bit a fan but at least he’s played there before ... could have had holgate RB and gone with 4 in midfield with iwobi on the right... richy on left and James as a 10 . Would have suited our players a lot more imo. Persisting with 3 at the back and conceding so many chances while doing it reminds me of Bobby and Silva refusing to change their philosophy or zonal marking despite the fact we looked like conceding from every set piece . I get our squad is thin but even with the players we had fit , that was a werid line up and it’s not the first time . Season is basically going to be written off by Xmas as usual and then 4-5 months of boring pointless footy , that will have a nice run of 10 results that will make us believe that we could do something next year , will follow and then the cycle will start again

Excellent post. It's difficult to argue against hard, cold facts.

Don’t see anyone writing Carlo off but plenty said before the game that 523 was a disaster waiting to happen and it was. Iwobi looked a fish out of water defensively, Tom davies struggled to get up and down with enough attacking threat, the wing backs got pushed back to make a back 5 and the midfield two got overrun with far too much space to cover leaving DCL isolated with long balls and the back three with no protection.

If that’s obvious to punters before the game and the game pans out as it did then the manager gets valid criticism, that’s all. Nobody I can see is calling for carlo’s head on a plate.

Last 6 games shown he doesn’t trust some of the like for like replacements for first teamers. He’s trying to come up with systems to avoid playing them. Kinda looks like he’s trying anything at the moment hoping something will work.

Have we though?

I agree we have a far better squad but performance wise I wouldn't say we are any better overall.

We've had some of the worst performances under Carlo than we have had in years.

Still think he's brilliant and will turn it around, but at this moment in time he needs to knuckle down because we are not playing well.

the league says yes

Status
Not open for further replies.