2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think back to when we came 5th under Martinez in what was a pretty weak league. We had a keeper in far better form than Pickford is now. We arguably had the best full back pairing in the premiership who had both been in PFA team of the year. We had Jagielka Distin and Stones as centreback options. All three with pace, power, and height. In midfield we had Barry who didn’t have much pace but was technically excellent and sat deep, and in front of him we had McCarthy and Barkley two physical, fast, midfielders both with good feet and control. Upfront we had our best premier league striker in our history, flanked by a Belgian international with the other sport rotated between any of Pienaar, Osman, or Deulofeu. That team came 5th jostling with the might of AVB’s Spurs, Moyes’ United, and Pochettino’s Southampton for that spot.

The top sides have all got a lot better since then (Perhaps Arsenal aside). Meanwhile you look through our 11 and player for player not only is it worse it’s far far worse. Coleman is still at right back which is horrifying. Keane and Mina are slow and not a patch on the three we had back then. Not one of our midfielders now could lace the boots of the three we had then and I didn’t even like Barry. Richarlison is a talent no doubt but there’s nothing behind him. We could drop Lukaku back then and still choose from Naismith Mirallas Deulofeu even Jelavic was still on the books. After Richarlison we are into two kids in the striker positions and frankly nothing out wide.

The squad is far far worse than Evertonians think it is. I think Allardyce, Silva in his first season, and Ancelotti have massively over performed with it. It’s a bottom half squad that could easily be in a relegation scrap given how poor it is. Goodison park, Richarlison and decent managers are probably the only reason we haven’t been in a serious one since Koeman left.

This will take Ancelotti a long time to fix. Koeman utterly destroyed us and left us with nothing.

Koeman, Walsh, Brands, Allardyce - they’ve all been extremely poor in the transfer market and left us largely with overpriced dross.

Have we got two decent strikers? Check. Two up top formation.

Have we got any decent wingers? No. Don’t use a formation with wingers.

Have we got two proper full-back? No just the one. Don’t go 4 at the back.

Have we got one RB that can only defend and one that can only attack? Check. Right sided CB and RWB sorted.

Are we still lumbered with number 10’s and also have a midfield duo that get bullied? Check. Stick an attacking mid on to keep their midfielders busy and provide more time for ours.

3-5-1-2

That’s the only formation I like with this squad at the mo.

I mean 3-4-1-2 of course here.

Pickford
Coleman Holgate Keane
Sidibe Sigurdson Davies Digne
Gordon
DCL Richarlison

Its not great like

Even swap Mina for Coleman or Gomes for Gordon/Sig/Davies, its still not great.

We need power, pace and the ability to carry the ball in the middle of the park.

It’s far more effective in my eyes than 4-4-2.

I think we'll look better in the 442 when Walcott is back. I know most people get angry when he starts but he at least has pace and knows how to do the actual role of a wide player.

That still leaves us with two centre mids completely exposed to many 3 man midfields in the league. Possibly against Wolves.

I would give Holgate or Beningme a run in midfield given the chance. Maybe a bit less creativity but more mobility and play Gordon or iwobi as a 10 in front of them

Status
Not open for further replies.