2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s because we have a bunch of slow cowards who don’t show for the ball in midfield or when they do they pass it straight back instead of turning with it, doubt we’ll see truly easy on the eye football til he gets a few of his own players in or Gomes and Gbamin are back

Exactly this. To play out from the back you need CMs who find space, are comfortable taking the ball facing their own goal, and confident to turn and play it forward under pressure.

Without that, the CBs have no options, and go sideways/backwards.

Your right with the slow build up this is something Carlo has been frustrated with. I think we do have to be optimistic with what he can do middle of season and with some key players missing. The signs are good so far we have a manager who can manage game throughout.
It’s because we have a bunch of slow cowards who don’t show for the ball in midfield or when they do they pass it straight back instead of turning with it, doubt we’ll see truly easy on the eye football til he gets a few of his own players in or Gomes and Gbamin are back

I’m leaning towards the lack of courage in midfield but I can’t help feeling we will have more control of midfield if we put holgate there. He plays without fear.

Exactly this. To play out from the back you need CMs who find space, are comfortable taking the ball facing their own goal, and confident to turn and play it forward under pressure.

Without that, the CBs have no options, and go sideways/backwards.
Well it's not just that, no.

You need defenders who can step out when the space is created.

Mina and Holgate don't do it enough. Confidence issue I'd imagine.

He knows he has inherited a mediocre squad of players, and a club prone to Macro mismanagement.

He's getting results in the interim period that will ensure we stay in the Prem.

The squad needs major surgery, and it will need a mass clearout.

He's no mug, and interesting times ahead, except for March 14th.

Think Holgate does that very well. Mina less so. But our problem is linking defence and attack, and that, for me is primarily down to the CMs.
He did it a few times well. But he didn't use the space in front nearly enough. As I've said elsewhere, because he's a right footer playing on the left.

But he needs to be alot better. Even more so Mina, I agree.

I agree too that we need CMs who can play but it's a combination.

A left footed CB and Gomes returning would be hugely beneficial to that style of play.

I’m leaning towards the lack of courage in midfield but I can’t help feeling we will have more control of midfield if we put holgate there. He plays without fear.
I love Holgate because as you say he doesn’t hide. True passion and effort. He can still make mistakes but playing regular will only improve him. I don’t know if going forward he can play the midfield roll when we face teams that sit back. Think he is playing his best since he has been here and I’d like to see how far we can go with him.

He did it a few times well. But he didn't use the space in front nearly enough. As I've said elsewhere, because he's a right footer playing on the left.

But he needs to be alot better. Even more so Mina, I agree.

I agree too that we need CMs who can play but it's a combination.

A left footed CB and Gomes returning would be hugely beneficial to that style of play.

Yeah it’s a combination, of course. But the lack of movement off the ball and then an unwillingness to carry the ball from our CMs today jumped out a mile.

Just needs to keep doing what he’s doing until the end of the season. We know he’s performing miracles with this mostly talentless crop he’s got available at the moment. You can see the wealth of experience he brings here, his quality in decision making when it’s not looking good, knows exactly when to make his substitutions, doesn’t leave it too late, will change his system and take certain players off to tweak things and see games out. It’s a world away from the type of management and game plan we are used to seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.