Cardiff v Everton. 31st Aug @ 15.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is Cardiff manager Malky Mackay's take on that big Everton penalty shout: "I only saw it at the time, I have not seen a replay. I suppose it was close. Gary Medel feels he never made contact and that Leighton Baines was looking for the penalty all the way."

Koff Milky

Close to an admission we might have got the peno tho. "I suppose it was close" is a lot different to "I didn't see it" a la Wenger.

But we don't often have Felli in monster form. We need more energy in our mid, and McCarthy offers that.

We will just have to agree to disagree on the crab passing. Like I said I've watched him a lot. Most recent full 90 mins of McCarthy I have seen was against Spain in a friendly and he was winning lots of the ball you didn't expect us to get, in the right place at the right time and showed plenty of invention in his passing along with a great burst of pace. He was the only player anywhere near the level of the World Champions and as an Ireland and Everton supporter I was very excited at the possibility that he could be playing for both. (Coleman was pretty damn good too by the way)

I fully believe that if we get him in he will be a fan favourite within a few months and would be similar to Baines in the level of loyalty he will show.

I really hope you're right mate. At 22, if the player you describe is coming in, then it could be okay business at £12m. I'm glad someone who has watched him a decent amount thinks this.

The thing I see is, when I watch him at Wigan, even in the championship, he's not warranting that price tag. When I think of how he'll play for us, I see him doing more of what we saw today, i.e. spreading it wide to Coleman, Baines, Mirallas and Pienaar and not offering much more in these types of games. He'll surely do that job very adeptly, but Gibson does that and Barry can do it to a lesser extent.

As I said earlier today, for £4m I'd take him, but not for the massive fee mentioned. Do you think he's worth that to a club like ours?

Last edited:

...no cutting edge, no tempo in the last third. Presume this is the new approach everybody was after so we all need to be patient.

Ref didn't help, though Eggs.

Another hard luck story where we were the better side but we didn't get the decisions and didn't come away with the win.

Happened a fair few times over the last 4-5 years. Rather have points on the board, like, but it's better then being outplayed.

On the contrary Mccarthy will push the issue, just not in the attacking midfielder goalscorer way you are talking about.

He will constantly move and show for the ball. He is not as much of a crab passer as some people are making out. I have watched all his games for Ireland and a lot of his Wigan games and one thing he will do that nobody in our midfield does, bar Felli in monster form, is break up play with a timely challenge/interception often with a sudden burst to get to a ball he is second favourite for.

From these moments the teams who were coming out to attack, probably after parking the bus as we've seen so far, are suddenly out of position and on the back foot. This will assist our attackers in getting more room to manouver in. Perfect for the likes of Mirallas and Deulo to work with.

I had to go out unfortunately and missed the entire game :( so I'm in the process of trawling back through this thread in an attempt to piece together something resembling a match report. All I can say is - without seeing today's game, just based on our previous efforts - if your description of McCarthy is accurate (and I believe he is a bring-the-ball-out-of-defence kind of player) then he is precisely what we need and, in that department for sure, a massive upgrade on Fellaini.

We need people to get the ball off the defenders/keeper, bring it forward, and start the attacks from deep. Gibson is again unfit (and probably will be for a minimum of 20% of our games) and, though I am one of his biggest fans, it is increasingly apparent this isn't a job for Osman. He needs to be further forward using his excellent control and quick feet in tight forward areas, but then again Barkley has been such a revelation in that very role it is difficult to see where Osman could fit in.

McCarthy should bring an immediate improvement in the tempo of our game because right now, though we are playing some good composed football when we have it in the middle of the pitch, getting there is a combination of winning 50/50s from goal kicks or taking posession from the opposition. Nothing really comes forward from our own half, the defenders try and pass it round and wait for space but our centre halves just don't really know what to do with it (Alcaraz will be a big plus on his return, too; and Stones looks very good in this department) and the centre mids don't come back to help. It results in Jagielka and Distin playing 1-2s before knocking it long or back to the keeper. It means we are slower getting things going, and overall rely on opposition mistakes (defenders not winning 50/50s, people giving the ball away) to get ourselves going alot of the time.

Regardless, by all accounts this is the 4th game in which - because the opposition aren't exactly quality - this has resulted in us creating a host of chances and yet failing to score enough if any of them. This has to improve. We need to take our chances. Fellaini v West Brom and by the sounds of it Mirallas today should have scored and by taking just those 2 chances could have put us 4pts better off.

I just want Fellaini gone now, and Martinez given the funds to bring in players he wants and we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.