Match Thread Cardiff City v Everton- Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is impossible to predict who will win this game, we have the propensity to be so poor that Cardiff could score 3 against us.
I would like to think that over our extended break a lot of hard talking has been done and a lot of hard work, I expect to see a big improvement in attitude and in the way we play but there is always the Everton factor.

But he literally doesnt know how to set up a defence mert.

Setting up a defence to counter high balls into the box must be one of the most simplistic drills footballers go through. It is a static starting point, you get to choose where you want your players to be. The type of ball into the box can't really vary that much. It is a situation that repeats itself on a number of occasions during games.
He must be coaching them how to take corners, so the managers and the players must be thinking of how to gain an advantage when taking corners, just apply reverse thinking.
I recall my time playing, in one team we decided to put a bit of effort into set pieces and it was very successful in getting us goals but also in not conceding as we just worked out what we would do to defend against a team like ourselves. It worked for a while and then the opposition worked out that they needed a plan to stop us.
Conceding the number of goals we are on set pieces is criminal, as I say it is a static starting point that you control, set pieces don't come as a surprise, the ball into the box doesn't vary greatly, surely any coach can come up with a plan that can stop us leaking so many goals.

Suddenly not sure. Cardiff will expect a reaction from tonight, anyone would. We might find they close the door and we can't score. 0-0 maybe.
Can't score Vs won't score, one of whom just got a 5 -1 pasting at home and the other has lost many more than they've won, including their last 3.

Got 0-0 all over it.

But he literally doesnt know how to set up a defence mert.
Setting up a defence to counter high balls into the box must be one of the most simplistic drills footballers go through. It is a static starting point, you get to choose where you want your players to be. The type of ball into the box can't really vary that much. It is a situation that repeats itself on a number of occasions during games.
He must be coaching them how to take corners, so the managers and the players must be thinking of how to gain an advantage when taking corners, just apply reverse thinking.
I recall my time playing, in one team we decided to put a bit of effort into set pieces and it was very successful in getting us goals but also in not conceding as we just worked out what we would do to defend against a team like ourselves. It worked for a while and then the opposition worked out that they needed a plan to stop us.
Conceding the number of goals we are on set pieces is criminal, as I say it is a static starting point that you control, set pieces don't come as a surprise, the ball into the box doesn't vary greatly, surely any coach can come up with a plan that can stop us leaking so many goals.

The problem with this is,

In training he sets up our defence to do the zonal marking thing. He then gets our wide players, Walcott, Lookman, Bernard and our attacking full backs, Coleman, Digne, JJK and Baines to ping well executed, dangerous balls ( yes i know but bare with me) into the 18 yard box for Keane, Mina, Zouma et al to defend.

Meantime our attacking force of Richarlson, DCL, and Tosun, use their well honed killer instinct to get to said crosses before the defenders.

From what we have witnessed so far this season, the chances of our wide players delivering pin point crosses which beat the defence are minimal.

During a session, if 30 crosses come in and 26 are defended correctly and cleared, the zonal marking system, in Marco's eyes works.

If, 30 crosses come in and the attack finish 18 of the crosses, then he says it was an attacking exercise and the attack is ace.

I quite like Cardiff's goalie. Always thought he looked tidy. I watched the game today and thought he must be shell shocked. His defence was dire. I struggle for words how bad they were. Holy carp, if we cant put 4 past these.

Had to smile about the bit concerning coaching them to take corners......we haven’t scored from a corner all season!

Status
Not open for further replies.